Garmin 480 Questions

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
A flying club I am joining has a 1975 C182P with a Garmin 480 in the panel.

I have some experience with the GNS430 so many of the concepts will transfer, but this will be the first time operating the 480. So some questions:

Database update:
A recent flight with a buddy who is in the club showed me that the database is not up to date. Since most members fly the 182 VFR, keeping that DB current hasn't been that much of a concern.

I know someone in the club likely has the computer attchment and software to download updates. But for my own education, what is needed and from whom do I purchase it? Who sells the data cards?

Where do I go to get the database updates?

I will likely use the club's resources to do this updating. But I wanted to know the answers myself.

Training Resources:
I did download the manual from garmin.com and am reading through it. Likley need to be spending some time just sitting in the aircraft reading the book and pushing buttons while on ground power.

But does anyone have any recommendations for other products that would help me get the most out of this system? The manual shows it to be an extremely capable system. But it's complicated enough that I want something a bit easier to digest and a bit deeper than the Garmin manual.

I haven't searched Kings or Sporty's yet, but they are on my list to investigate.

Last edited:

I have some experience with the GNS430 so many of the concepts will transfer, but this will be the first time operating the 480. So some questions:

Database update:

I know someone in the club likely has the computer attchment and software to download updates. But for my own education, what is needed and from whom do I purchase it? Who sells the data cards?

Jeppesen, and Jeppesen. They have the monopoly on it and charge as if they do.

On here, Lance Fisher has a 480 I believe.

The 480 is a great unit. Miles ahead of the 430 in my opinion. High-res screen (higher res than the 530!), monitor function on the comm, airways support, built-in HSI/CDI for all approach types, user interface that is very efficient once you've learned it. The only downside is the lack of terrain.

There is a user's mailing list that is moderately active and has several very knowledgable people on it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gns480-users/

Keith Thomassen publishes a training manual that is reportedly excellent: http://www.avionicswest.com/ although personally I figured it out by myself by poking buttons, playing with the free Garmin PC simulator and reading the Garmin manual.

The database updates are done using Compact Flash cards. Any CF reader should be suitable. Jeppesen sells the updates, you download them and use their program (for Windows, but it will work in a VM) to put them on the card.

not much is similar between the 480 and 430. the 480 was formerly Apollo and maybe UPS at one time before Garmin bought it and stamped 480 on it. I'm pretty sure they bought them out because they knew the 480 was better than the 430 so they sold some for a while and then shut it down. We had one in the 421 and I really liked it. It is more button pushing instead of knob turning.

Paging Lance Fisher...

Looks like Jeppesen gets $500 for the database subscription.

The 480 is a great unit. I can't offer any comparisons between the 480 and the 430/530 as I don't have any experience with the *30 series, but I really like the 480. I read a number of accounts about the different units and at the highest level, the 480 is more of a FMS rather than just a navigator. I almost always enter a flight plan before taking off, even VFR. It's not hard to change in the air after you learn the buttons, but it's just not something I want to have to think about between crossing the hold short line and getting out from under bravo airspace at Addison. If you want an intro with a current database let me know :).

In terms of what it takes to update- don't mistake it for a Garmin. It's a standard flash card reader/writer and a computer. You don't need a special overpriced piece of hardware from Garmin to update the database.

There's a simulator available online, but I found that the best way to go is just to go up and push buttons. I'd try to fly right seat with some of the other club members and play with the navigator while they're flying.

Scott: when I first saw it, I did think of you and your slant tailed time machine.

And I'll take you up on the offer of an orientation. Email me off forum and let's set that up.

I have a two planes with 480s in them and I like flying with it very much. I do have the Jeppesen subscription for it, and update each of them every other month. If you want to stay current, I'd suggest buying a subscription. If you just want to update it once in a while, I can give you one of my monthly downloads for $50.00.

Is the data card a specific make/model? Or something "generic" that I would find at any electronics outlet?

Is the data card a specific make/model? Or something "generic" that I would find at any electronics outlet?

It's specific. You think Jepp is going to give up their hold on the monopoly?

Safe or legal?

I've never tried, but I'd bet that any quality CF card would work in the 480 without any problems. However, I think you have to use the Garmin part in order to be legal. I suspect this goes into the category of not being an issue unless your choice of CF card causes an issue, then it's a big issue. I choose to stick with the card that came with the 480 when I bought the plane.

email sent

Safe or legal?

I've never tried, but I'd bet that any quality CF card would work in the 480 without any problems. However, I think you have to use the Garmin part in order to be legal. I suspect this goes into the category of not being an issue unless your choice of CF card causes an issue, then it's a big issue. I choose to stick with the card that came with the 480 when I bought the plane.

email sent
It is a standard 64MB (yes that MB not GB) CF card. It is possible to prepare an OTS CF card to work and the instructions are available on the GNS480 Users Group on Yahoo. Legally anything other than an official card from Garmin might void the IFR approval but I don't think there's anything solid on that and from a purely technical perspective the lack of Garmin sticker won't have any effect on the integrity of the DB.

Database update:
A recent flight with a buddy who is in the club showed me that the database is not up to date. Since most members fly the 182 VFR, keeping that DB current hasn't been that much of a concern.

Virtually any CF adapter will work. I used to use one that sat in a PC card slot but my latest notebook lacks that particular feature so I use one from Sandisk now that attaches via USB. It's handy to have two cards for your own airplane so you can update at home but that doesn't seem as useful for a club plane.

Unlike the 430, the 480's DB card holds two cycles and will automatically select the newer one when it becomes current.

From Jeppesen. AFaIK they do NOT offer single cycles, I think you have to purchase an annual subscription. The updates are downloaded to a PC using Jepp's JSUM application. It does allow the DB to be downloaded for later transfer to the CF card or you can update the card automatically during the download process.

I will likely use the club's resources to do this updating. But I wanted to know the answers myself.
I'd think you'd want some way to update it yourself if a new cycle becomes needed when you're away from home base although the new data is usually available about 10 days before it's due.

Training Resources:
I did download the manual from garmin.com and am reading through it. Likley need to be spending some time just sitting in the aircraft reading the book and pushing buttons while on ground power.

But does anyone have any recommendations for other products that would help me get the most out of this system? The manual shows it to be an extremely capable system. But it's complicated enough that I want something a bit easier to digest and a bit deeper than the Garmin manual
I recommend Kieth Thommason's book. You should also download the PC sim from the Garmin website. It's a very good replica of the unit's functionality although none of the VOR/LOC/GS capabilities are simulated (the knobs and buttons for that function but there's no signal). When you get the simulator be sure to check out the keyboard shortcuts, they make the sim much easier to use compared to the mouse interface.

I think it helps to understand the underlying methodology of the 480, especially if you're coming from the "normal' Garmin world (GNS430, GPS x96, etc). Apollo (the actual designers) wanted to avoid the multi-level hierarchical knob/rocker selected menu paradigm that Garmin favors and the difference tends to confuse and frustrate folks who've become accustomed to the Garmin interface.

Generally functions in the 480 are accessed by pushing one or two buttons, most of which are "softkeys" with labels that are context sensitive. Two differences are particularly important. The 480's flight plan mechanism expects the user to start with the origin (departure airport) and destination and then fill in the intermediate waypoints and route legs. An advantage of this concept is that the 480 can/will offer a list of possible airways whenever you select a waypoint that's on one. And when you select an airway the next step is to pick the fix where you will exit that airway from another list. The 480 also allows you to select a departure and arrival associated with the departure and destination if they be airports as well as approaches for both (very handy to have an approach preloaded for the departure if you're taking off into low clouds). It's important that each flight plan terminate at an airport as you can only select an arrival route and approach for the destination airport. Unlike the 430 the 480 does not break the plan into three separate sections for departure, enroute, and arrival. Another flight plan issue is that the 480 maintains two copies of the plan, Active and Modified. This allows you to make alterations while the 480 continues to navigate along the original route. When you have the modifications completed you "Execute" the modified plan which copies it to the Active plan. Similarly if you go back to the Active plan and attempt to edit that a second time without executing the first modifications the 480 asks if you want to replace the modified plan with the active so it can be altered. Although this makes perfect sense once you grasp the concept it can be confusing at first.

The other important difference is that the 480 hides a lot of useful functionality behind three buttons: the -D-> (direct) key, the INFO key, and the NRST key.

The -D-> key brings up multiple choices for navigating to/from a waypoint including the ubiquitous Direct-To plus Course-To/From, OBS, and the very useful Dest choice which creates a new flight plan with the target waypoint (typically an airport) as the new destination.

The INFO key displays the DB contents for any waypoint or fix highlighted in a DB search or flight plan. If you're viewing a plan one line will be highlighted and pressing the INFO key pops up a page with all the data for the waypoint that was highlighted. A "secret" function (not mentioned in the manual) saves the last INFO target and uses it to fill in the ID field on many operations that require one such as the one than adds a waypoint to the flight plan and the -D-> functions already mentioned.

The NRST key provides structured or random access to the entire DB. A waypoint chosen via the NRST function is available to the INFO function and can also become the default waypoint for the -D-> options or a fix in the flight plan (this eliminates a lot of knob turning that would otherwise be required when selecting a waypoint ID. Initially the NRST function displays fixes closed to your present postion but a subfunction of NRST lies behind the SRCH softkey which allows searching the DB centered on any waypoint in the flight plan or near an ID you dial in by hand.

Sitting in the plane with the radio on is definitely a good idea. You can put the actual unit in a simulation mode that works like the PC simulator meaning you can "fly" the box on a trip while sitting in the hangar. It will even drive the external CDI, autopilot, indicators and GPSS if you have that. I also recommend you make a couple flights with someone else flying the plane so you can spend more head down time on your first trips.

A common complaint for 430 users is that the 480 is much harder to learn and there's some truth to this but it's due to the fact that the 480 provide so much more capability than the 430 and this higher level of functionality requires a more complex user interface.

Like the 430, the 480 is highly configurable. There are four map pages with selectable data fields on three plus a configurable Nav page (similar to the one added to the 430 when it became the 430W). Many general options are available on the SYS-Config page. This might be a problem for a club plane as one pilot may alter settings that another expected to remain unchanged.

One final note. The 480 begs to be coupled to an autopilot with roll steering (GPSS). That combination will fly the lateral portion of an entire flight including a departure, enroute, arrival, approach, and missed approach from the flight plan leaving you in the miss hold without touching anything. You can also create a hold anywhere and the 480/GPSS combo will fly it hands off.

I did find a good YouTube video explaining much of the functions. Audio is pretty poor, but the info was in line with what I'm looking for.

http://youtu.be/XhIwBUKL_-E

FYI on Keith Thomasson's book for those following the thread. He replied to my email about cost and it was $43.00 including shipping.

One final note. The 480 begs to be coupled to an autopilot with roll steering (GPSS). That combination will fly the lateral portion of an entire flight including a departure, enroute, arrival, approach, and missed approach from the flight plan leaving you in the miss hold without touching anything. You can also create a hold anywhere and the 480/GPSS combo will fly it hands off.

Thanks for the good write up.

The aircraft does have the following. And I think the AP accepts roll. It will follow the heading bug (we did that a bit on the last flight) but we did not try following a GPS track. As you said, a few flights are needed to get a better feel of how the systems play well together.

Garmin 480 Com/Nav/GPS
Chelton AP with Nav Coupling and Electric Trim
KX 155 Com/Nav
Northstar M1 Loran
PS Eng 4 Place Intercom
KMA 24 Audio Panel
Garmon 496 (new 2011)
Garmin GTX 327 Transponder (New)

Mike, as a general rule you'll find that pilots that have flown bigger airplanes really like the 480's because the buttonology is similar in many respects to the Honeywell and Rockwell stuff with which they are familiar.

Pilots of smaller birds identify more with the 430 because it's also an outgrowth of other similar products they have used. For short uncomplicated flight plans they're probably a push insofar as pilot-friendliness is concerned, but the 480 wins hands-down on the long ones.

Thanks Wayne. As I learn more about the 480, I agree with what you wrote.

I believe it will load airways too (been a while since I used one)..if your needing to fly a route that is a tremendous help. (but make damn sure its current)

I believe it will load airways too (been a while since I used one)..if your needing to fly a route that is a tremendous help. (but make damn sure its current)

Speaking of currency. Anyone know if the 480 is required to have a current database to be used for enroute IFR Nav?

Does the 480 have a WAAS option? Just curious.

The 480 is a nice box, I wish that it was something that readily made sense for the 310.

Speaking of currency. Anyone know if the 480 is required to have a current database to be used for enroute IFR Nav?

According to the AFMS, an expired database may be used for enroute, terminal, or approach as long as the waypoints used are verified by the pilot to be current or the approach in the expired database is current.

The GNS480 is a re-badged Apollo CX80 which was the first WAAS GPS certified for a wide range of aircraft. It has always had WAAS and AFAIK was the first box approved for sole source nav. That approval was temporarily rescinded when Garmin ran into some problems with the initial version of the 430W (mostly that the antenna was insufficiently sensitive for signals low on the horizon). A new antenna ans a firmware upgrade restored sole source operation shortly after Garmin delivered the same upgrade for the 430W.

The GNS480 is a re-badged Apollo CX80 which was the first WAAS GPS certified for a wide range of aircraft. It has always had WAAS and AFAIK was the first box approved for sole source nav. That approval was temporarily rescinded when Garmin ran into some problems with the initial version of the 430W (mostly that the antenna was insufficiently sensitive for signals low on the horizon). A new antenna ans a firmware upgrade restored sole source operation shortly after Garmin delivered the same upgrade for the 430W.

Good to know! Thanks for the information, Lance.

There are a few of these units for sale from various avionics dealers from $4500 to $5500. Would love to snag one, but it will have to wait.

Mike, as a general rule you'll find that pilots that have flown bigger airplanes really like the 480's because the buttonology is similar in many respects to the Honeywell and Rockwell stuff with which they are familiar.
I'm not sure I would agree. I've never flown a bigger airplane, never flown anything with a real FMS, and I like the 480 a lot better than the 430. The main difference between the units from my standpoint (disclaimer: it's been about 3 years since I've flown a plane with a 430) is that with the 430, it seems you have to learn how to do everything piecemeal. With the 480, once you understand how it does what it does, you can pretty well figure out how to do everything you need to do with it. For example, there is no such thing in the 480 as "loading" and then "activating" an approach. For the 480, a flight plan is nothing more than a series of legs, and loading an approach is modifying a flight plan. To "activate" the approach, you make the modified flight plan the active one by doing EXEC (i.e. Execute modified flight plan). Also, when an approach is inserted into the flight plan, it goes in a specific place, so you always know what the new flight plan is going to look like if you understand the algorithm by which approaches are placed into a flight plan (the last leg before the airport is deleted and replaced by the entire approach, including the missed). That philosophy can make the 480 seem unforgiving if you don't understand the algorithm, but once you do, and once you learn to work WITH the unit on its own terms, it becomes a pleasure to own and work with.

There is one quirk that the 480 has that I consider a flaw, and that is its handling of course reversals, specifically HILPTs in RNAV approaches. Unlike with the 430, you are not given an option whether to include the HILPT. If the approach has an HILPT, and your procedure entry point is not a published leg of the procedure specifically marked NoPT on the chart, then the 480 will sequence to the HILPT when the time comes and the only way to avoid it is to bypass that leg, requiring at least 3 extra keystrokes*. With the latest software revision, you can avoid that problem IF the approach has a NoPT initial segment by choosing that IAF as your procedure entry, even if you are cleared directly to the IF, though you have to know in advance that you will not need the course reversal. Because if for any reason you do need it, you now have to reload the approach from scratch, or else create the hold there on your own, something I don't think any of the other popular units out there can do, but still it shouldn't be necessary. The point here is that the 480 doesn't know anything about TAA zones that are marked NoPT and cannot figure out whether you are coming from a direction requiring a course reversal, and will ALWAYS sequence to the HILPT if you choose an IAF without an initial leg specifically marked NoPT. This really seems like an unnecessary limitation considering that the 480 is smart enough to TELL you the recommended entry to any hold, based on the direction from which you arrive at the holding fix.

Other than that, I am very happy with the 480, and don't find it more cumbersome in any way than the 430, even for simple operations like going Direct from point A to an airport. As long as you make the airport your Destination, you still have the capability to shoot an approach there. In summary, I would say that almost anything the 430 can do simply, the 480 can do just as simply, and it has many capabilities the 430 doesn't.

*Edit: well there is a way that requires as few as one extra keystroke, which is to hit VTF (Vectors To Final), but as I understand it, that affects CDI scaling and is not the method of choice unless you really are being given vectors to final.

Last edited:

The 480 is a nice box, I wish that it was something that readily made sense for the 310.
The 480 doesn't need a WAAS "option". The 480 was designed as a WAAS unit from the get-go. I believe it was the first commercially available WAAS-enabled IFR-certified GPS (at least for small airplanes).

Hence the qualifier in my post. I've been watching, reading and listening to this discussion with a number of pilots for years, have flown both bigs and smalls and installed a 430 in my plane because my good friend who has owned a radio shop for 40 years said it was the better choice now.

I'm not sure I would agree. I've never flown a bigger airplane, never flown anything with a real FMS, and I like the 480 a lot better than the 430. The main difference between the units from my standpoint (disclaimer: it's been about 3 years since I've flown a plane with a 430) is that with the 430, it seems you have to learn how to do everything piecemeal. With the 480, once you understand how it does what it does, you can pretty well figure out how to do everything you need to do with it. For example, there is no such thing in the 480 as "loading" and then "activating" an approach. For the 480, a flight plan is nothing more than a series of legs, and loading an approach is modifying a flight plan. To "activate" the approach, you make the modified flight plan the active one by doing EXEC (i.e. Execute modified flight plan). Also, when an approach is inserted into the flight plan, it goes in a specific place, so you always know what the new flight plan is going to look like if you understand the algorithm by which approaches are placed into a flight plan (the last leg before the airport is deleted and replaced by the entire approach, including the missed). That philosophy can make the 480 seem unforgiving if you don't understand the algorithm, but once you do, and once you learn to work WITH the unit on its own terms, it becomes a pleasure to own and work with.

There is one quirk that the 480 has that I consider a flaw, and that is its handling of course reversals, specifically HILPTs in RNAV approaches. Unlike with the 430, you are not given an option whether to include the HILPT. If the approach has an HILPT, and your procedure entry point is not a published leg of the procedure specifically marked NoPT on the chart, then the 480 will sequence to the HILPT when the time comes and the only way to avoid it is to bypass that leg, requiring at least 3 extra keystrokes*. With the latest software revision, you can avoid that problem IF the approach has a NoPT initial segment by choosing that IAF as your procedure entry, even if you are cleared directly to the IF, though you have to know in advance that you will not need the course reversal. Because if for any reason you do need it, you now have to reload the approach from scratch, or else create the hold there on your own, something I don't think any of the other popular units out there can do, but still it shouldn't be necessary. The point here is that the 480 doesn't know anything about TAA zones that are marked NoPT and cannot figure out whether you are coming from a direction requiring a course reversal, and will ALWAYS sequence to the HILPT if you choose an IAF without an initial leg specifically marked NoPT. This really seems like an unnecessary limitation considering that the 480 is smart enough to TELL you the recommended entry to any hold, based on the direction from which you arrive at the holding fix.

Other than that, I am very happy with the 480, and don't find it more cumbersome in any way than the 430, even for simple operations like going Direct from point A to an airport. As long as you make the airport your Destination, you still have the capability to shoot an approach there. In summary, I would say that almost anything the 430 can do simply, the 480 can do just as simply, and it has many capabilities the 430 doesn't.

*Edit: well there is a way that requires as few as one extra keystroke, which is to hit VTF (Vectors To Final), but as I understand it, that affects CDI scaling and is not the method of choice unless you really are being given vectors to final.

Thank you to those who suggested obtaining a copy of Keith Thomassen's book. My copy arrived today and at first glance, looks to be a very good resource to learn this box.

I also got a chance to fly with a budy in his 480 equipped Mooney yesterday. We did a simple direct to a local Class D (KGYI) and then shot both the ILS17 and GPS17 approach and pre-loaded KSWI as our alternate since he wanted to get some of their lower priced fuel before heading back to KADS.

It was a really good flight for me. I got to see both how to setup the 480 to manage these tasks as well as how easy it was to grab all the needed info and put it into the right slots. And I got to see how these two approaches are performed, giving me a preview of how this part of IFR flying is done.

A big shout out to SMcCray for the flight!

Thanks for the good write up.

The aircraft does have the following. And I think the AP accepts roll. It will follow the heading bug (we did that a bit on the last flight) but we did not try following a GPS track. As you said, a few flights are needed to get a better feel of how the systems play well together.

Garmin 480 Com/Nav/GPS
Chelton AP with Nav Coupling and Electric Trim
KX 155 Com/Nav
Northstar M1 Loran
PS Eng 4 Place Intercom
KMA 24 Audio Panel
Garmon 496 (new 2011)
Garmin GTX 327 Transponder (New)

That Loran can go.. You will save a few lbs..

Thank you to those who suggested obtaining a copy of Keith Thomassen's book. My copy arrived today and at first glance, looks to be a very good resource to learn this box.

I also got a chance to fly with a budy in his 480 equipped Mooney yesterday. We did a simple direct to a local Class D (KGYI) and then shot both the ILS17 and GPS17 approach and pre-loaded KSWI as our alternate since he wanted to get some of their lower priced fuel before heading back to KADS.

It was a really good flight for me. I got to see both how to setup the 480 to manage these tasks as well as how easy it was to grab all the needed info and put it into the right slots. And I got to see how these two approaches are performed, giving me a preview of how this part of IFR flying is done.

A big shout out to SMcCray for the flight!

Any time Mike. We'll do it again soon!

A follow up question about the datacards....

Can someone share the link to price/order a replcement? I've plinked about the Garmin site to try to find it myself but to no success.

If you have a 480 or MX20/GMX200 the first number you need to write down is the AT division out in Salem. They can give you direct telephone support for your questions and problems and sell you things like the datacards.

Garmin AT
2345 Turner Road SE
Salem, OR 97302

Phone:
U.S.: (800) 525-6726
Canada: (800) 654-3415
International: (503) 391-3411
Fax: (503) 364-2138
GPS Coordinates:
N 44 deg 54.425 min
W 122 deg 59.673 min

There's also a Garmin 480 users group over on YAHOO with lots of good info (along with PDFs of the installation and pilot guides). There's info over there on how to reformat a regular CF card to be useable in the 480 if you are willing to forego the requirement to use an "official" part.

My impression having flown approaches with a garmin 430, 480, 650, and 750

430 - easy to learn, gets job done

480 - quirky but capable

650 - great

750 - super great

There's nothing "quirky" about the 480. It's quite logical. It's just different than everything else in the Garmin product line because it was designed at a company that understood decent UI design.

There's nothing "quirky" about the 480. It's quite logical. It's just different than everything else in the Garmin product line because it was designed at a company that understood decent UI design.

No doubt it works just fine, but it took more time for me to learn than the others.

There are still some things I'm working on figuring out with the 480. Say I have plugged in a flight plan from KTTA to KSOP. Halfway there, I go into my flight plan and select the GPS 23 approach for my destination, with transition ADDLY. It adds this to my flight plan, but puts 'discontinuity' between KTTA and ADDLY. So I delete the discontinuity. The box still wants to fly direct to KSOP. Then I hit 'direct' select ADDLY from my flight plan, hit 'direct' again and now I am finally flying the approach.

Is there an easier way to do this.

Thanks for the information Ron.

There are still some things I'm working on figuring out with the 480. Say I have plugged in a flight plan from KTTA to KSOP. Halfway there, I go into my flight plan and select the GPS 23 approach for my destination, with transition ADDLY. It adds this to my flight plan, but puts 'discontinuity' between KTTA and ADDLY. So I delete the discontinuity. The box still wants to fly direct to KSOP. Then I hit 'direct' select ADDLY from my flight plan, hit 'direct' again and now I am finally flying the approach.

Is there an easier way to do this.
The discontinuity is one of the "quirks" that I agree the 480 has. I think it doesn't know how you want to go from your present position to ADDLY, or else you're too far from the direct line from your departure point to ADDLY for the course to be active. But if you're still flying to KSOP after deleting the discontinuity, you haven't EXEC'd the modified flight plan. Still, you must have done EXEC at some point before selecting ADDLY from your flight plan, or you wouldn't have been able to do that because it wouldn't have been part of the active plan.

The 480 treats approaches as just a series of legs in a flight plan. It deletes the final leg in your flight plan and puts the approach in its place. That's why, if you want to have the approach active in your flight plan from a long distance out but you haven't been cleared to the IAF, it's better to file and load a waypoint fairly close to your destination, and keep it in the flight plan until you're ready to proceed to the IAF. Alternately, you can do what you did, load the approach but not do EXEC until you're cleared to the IAF. Then, after the EXEC, you go Direct select IAF Direct. That's probably the safest way to go if you're not 100% sure of what approach you'll be flying.

I wish there was an easier way to edit transitions once your flight plan is loaded though. Basically you have to reload the approach from scratch, and select a different transition. I don't know if that feature exists in other GPSs.

Back