Garmin 430W, what databases do I need?

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Jamie Kirk, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Jamie Kirk

Jamie Kirk Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    JamieK
    New plane has a dual 430W setup with the MX20. Previous owner only purchased East Coast charts and I live on the West Coast. I have no airport information once I crossed New Mexico.

Do I buy the Jeppensen or Garmin? Or do I need to buy both? From my Garmin account they are suggesting:
    United States Standard OnePak
    View Coverage Details
    Includes Navigation Data, Terrain, Obstacle
    Covers: GNS 430W, GNS 430W

Or do I want the option with FlightCharts?

Do I then need to buy the Jeppensen Charts as well?

Or do I just need to do the Garmin One Time Update on the 430Ws?

I also need to buy the GMX200 database subscription? It says 'The FliteCharts database contains digital depictions of terminal procedure charts, including departure, arrival, and approach procedures. For certified devices, FliteCharts will no longer function 180 days after the expiration date.' so if I do the one time update it won;t work after 180 days?

At almost $2,000 a year it seems like there has to be an either or optiop, why do I need both?

2. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Just get the nav database, doesn’t matter which, just pick the cheapest one.

Also I head something about using one update for two GNS, something about VMs and updates or something, no idea what that’s all about and I’d never recommend trying to cheat such as stand up company as Garmin or jepp lol

3. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    Sarcasm..I love it. Interested in this one too as it looks like I will be installing a 430 soon.

4. chartbundle

chartbundle Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    I use the OnePak annual for a 430W and 530W. For plates I use the Premium upgrade it provides to Garmin Pilot on my iPad. Should be about $650(plus the Garmin Pilot Base subscription). No idea on the GMX200

I think their system might be buggered, as I'm not getting the OnePak options for my renewal, you may have to call them.

5. Ravioli

Ravioli Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    OnePak should handle both your navigators + GP, if you use that. Jep would require individual subscriptions IIRC.

6. Jamie Kirk

Display Name:

Display name:
    JamieK
    Do I need the subscription or can I just buy the 1 time update?

7. Sam D

Sam D Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sam D
    Are you flying IFR with GPS approaches? If so, you need the subscription.

You'll also need a special card programmer for the NAV databases -- and the Jeppesen one is different from the Garmin one.

8. Ravioli

Ravioli Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    Do you fly IFR? If yes, subscribe. VFR only, don't bother.

MBDiagMan likes this.
  9. Jamie Kirk

Display Name:

Display name:
    JamieK
    No IFR, but going to start my IFR training this winter.

10. Ravioli

Ravioli Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    So, the terrain db is fine (earth doesn't change that much)

You might want to do a 1 timer for your VFR stuff and then go subscribed when you'll be needing the updates. I don't know the price diff. might be better to subscribe earlier than your need.

MBDiagMan likes this.
  11. Jamie Kirk

Display Name:

Display name:
    JamieK
    What I do not understand is why do I need the Garmin & Jeppesen?

1 time update $129, subscription $649.

12. Ravioli

Ravioli Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    @Jamie Kirk You do not need both. mostly (I think) people pick their poison.

You're not IFR so Flitecharts shouldn't be a consideration until you know how to compare the plates.

The subscription gives updates every ____ days (28 I think) for your two navigators and a portable. Probably worth $500.

13. Sam D

Sam D Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sam D
    Rob is right. You don't need both. The 430 has two cards - one for Nav data and one for terrain data (the cards cannot be interchanged). Garmin provides the terrain data. Once upon a time, only Jeppesen provided the nav data. Then a couple of years ago, Garmin got into the nav data business for the 430. The Garmin data is virtually identical and at an appreciable discount. (I say virtually the same because there is at least one difference that I know of -- it has to do with whether ILS/LOC approaches are a single or separate approaches).

Depending on how long you plan to stretch your IFR training, I'd start the subscription with your training. Getting in the habit of ensuring that you have current databases is good -- law of primacy and all that...

Hope that helps.

Keep in mind, the online user interfaces for both products are not that great.

14. NordicDave

NordicDave Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    Definitely get the Garmin one Pack as stated earlier. 12 months of Nav, obstacles, and terrain cost the same as a 2-3 updates. Terrain data changes about every 2 years and nav and obstacles are always changing. At least get all three for the first update if doing one time update.

15. chemgeek

chemgeek Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    chemgeek
    Garmin is cheaper for nav databases,which is what you need to be navigation compliant. You might consider installing a one time terrain and obstacle database every few years if looking to save money. I think I remember my last full US nav database annual subscription being $299? I was spending more than that with Jepp to get Eastern US only. You will need to purchase the Garmin card programmer to load data. Although pricey, a second nav card makes it easier to keep up with updates.

16. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc
    That sounds high to me. IIRC, my Garmin Nav and obstacle was less than $500 for the year. Jeppeson was more expensive.

As previously recommended, get a one time until you need it for actual, then get an annual subscription. You can do instrument training without currency. If you actually use it for IMC approaches then you need it current.

17. lancie00

lancie00 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    lancie00
    Remember, if you're planning on working on your IFR in actual, you need to have the nav updates. If you're starting your IFR soon, you might just want to bite the bullet and get the subscription.

18. chartbundle

chartbundle Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    My guess is the difference between 1 unit and 2.
    (Unless you also had 2, then, yes, odd.)