Garmin 430W question on approaches

Could you expand on that with an example?

KORD 27 L

When you get your first vector onto this approach it's time to "clean up" the 430 removing your route and just displaying your approach and missed approach. If you just hit VTF you will only get TAFFS with an infinite course displayed through it to the runway. What you want to do is select the approach from GRABL so the whole approach is displayed when you hit "activate approach," this allows you to easily identify the step downs to the FAF and stay in the Bravo. If we were getting vectors to intercept at RIPPR and maintain 6000 cleared ILS....we would have to tell the 430 this by hitting

LEGS
Push for cursor highlight RIPPR
MENU
Actvate this leg?
ENTER

An FMS ( and maybe a G480?) can detect this intercept automatically sequencing RIPPR as the active fix with no intervention.

VTF is fine as long as you know when to use it ..ie being vectored a few miles outside a FAF or your cool identfying additional fixes another way.

Last edited:
KORD 27 L

When you get your first vector onto this approach it's time to "clean up" the 430 removing your route and just displaying your approach and missed approach. If you just hit VTF you will only get TAFFS with an infinite course displayed through it to the runway. What you want to do is select the approach from GRABL so the whole approach is displayed when you hit "activate approach," this allows you to easily identify the step downs to the FAF and stay in the Bravo. If we were getting vectors to intercept at RIPPR and maintain 6000 cleared ILS....we would have to tell the 430 this by hitting

LEGS
Push for cursor highlight RIPPR
MENU
Actvate this leg?
ENTER

An FMS ( and maybe a G480?) can detect this intercept automatically sequencing RIPPR as the active fix with no intervention.

VTF is fine as long as you know when to use it ..ie being vectored a few miles outside a FAF or your cool identfying additional fixes another way.

As you can see from my previous posts I believe VTF is a feature to be avoided. I misunderstood your previous post.

Back