Garmin 430w Aspen EFD 1000 VLOC Problem

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
Hopefully the collective knowledge of PoA can help sort another Aspen integration problem. This one relates to our Aspen not being able to display VOR/LOC/GS information from the Garmin 430w WAAS GPS.

Our setup: Aspen EFD 1000 Pro, Garmin 430w WAAS GPS navigator.
The problem: Cannot get VLOC1 to show as enabled on the Aspen when switching the CDI from GPS to VLOC on the Garmin. All we get is VLOC crossed out with a red line on the Aspen HSI. Can't get LOC or GS input either.
Troubleshooting steps so far: Tuned NAV1 radio (the 430) to a known working VOR and ILS and ID'ed both. Got the Morse loud and clear, so I know the Garmin is receiving the VOR/LOC signals. Also tuned the same VOR and ILS using our NAV2 radio and the CDI swung just fine on the NAV2 indicator.

GPS data is sent a-ok from the 430w to the Aspen. No issues there - we get good GPS track info and the HSI works fine in GPS mode. Just won't give any radio nav data.

This one is perplexing. And this may be my fault as a new owner - I don't think we ever tested VLOC1 either tracking a VOR or shooting an ILS when we did the preflights to purchase the plane. So I'm not sure if this ever worked in this new-to-us aircraft.

Just looking for some initial places to look at this point prior to calling up an avionics shop. Aspen setup is:

Page 8 -
  • GPS / NAV #1 CONFIG: B
Page 9 -
  • 429 IN PORT 1: GPS1
  • 429 IN PORT 2: VLOC1+ACU
Not sure what the Garmin settings are and I don't know where to look, honestly.

Any ideas are welcome at this point. Thanks as always for the help in advance.

DeeLee, just had a thought. Is your 430w setup to send vertical flags in its datastream to the Aspen?

@Lynn Dixon I will have to check next time I am at the plane. I haven't delved into the Garmin settings yet. I am not getting VOR or LOC/GS, so even without vertical flags I would think at least VOR would come in. But I will check the Garmin settings as a next step. Specifically, I wonder what Main ARINC 429 page looks like... I will check what the OUT parameter is set to. I would imagine if I have it set to ARINC 429 that would be the right setting.... anybody have thoughts on this? There is a VNAV option, but I don't know if this has to be set for GS flags to get passed to the Aspen... I think that is just for GPS VNAV data.

Actually, if anyone has any screenshots or comments on their Garmin settings that would be really helpful. Especially if they also have an Aspen EFD. I would think passing VLOC data would be pretty simple and straightforward.

But I am hoping the problem is on the Aspen side... what do you think about changing the 429 IN Port 2 to just VLOC1 instead of the + ACU option? Not sure if that will do it or not.

Welp... problem solved. The Aspen didn't like having 429 IN PORT 2 set to VLOC1+ACU. And the only way to get that set to just VLOC1 was on the previous settings page, set the config to config A... which enabled VLOC1 as an option on the next screen. VLOC working great now Even did an airborne VOR check agains NAV2 so now it's all legal and stuff even though we have a WAAS GPS. Only thing I need to do is shoot an ILS to test it. But I did tune the ILS on the ground and got green diamonds on the Aspen, so I am pretty sure all is working as expected.

Only problem is now I won't get GPSS enabled through the Aspen. But I can still connect the 430w directly to the TruTrak as I had been doing before. So I think this is the setup we are going to live with.

Welp... problem solved. The Aspen didn't like having 429 IN PORT 2 set to VLOC1+ACU. And the only way to get that set to just VLOC1 was on the previous settings page, set the config to config A... which enabled VLOC1 as an option on the next screen. VLOC working great now Even did an airborne VOR check agains NAV2 so now it's all legal and stuff even though we have a WAAS GPS. Only thing I need to do is shoot an ILS to test it. But I did tune the ILS on the ground and got green diamonds on the Aspen, so I am pretty sure all is working as expected.

Only problem is now I won't get GPSS enabled through the Aspen. But I can still connect the 430w directly to the TruTrak as I had been doing before. So I think this is the setup we are going to live with.

I know this is an old post but in case anyone runs across it before they buy the E5 let me clarify. For some unknown and stupid reason, that Aspen has yet to give me an acceptable answer for, the Aspen ACU (Analog Control unit) is REQUIRED even for Digital autopilots. Even though it does nothing other than satisfy the software to enable GPSS passthrough as an option. This could all work without the ACU and does work in Mode B but mode B breaks the VLOC (without the ACU installed) to the "HSI". A simple software change would fix that but Aspen wants nothing to do with the logic of this. So plan that extra $1000+ to install the ACU if you don't want to flip a switch and want to use the GPSS button on the Aspen. Oh and doing so also break the automatic updates of altimeter and altitude selection which came available in Feb,23 software update to the Aspen. Doing it over I'd seriously consider spending that money differently.

Back