Garmin 430 "Steep Turn Ahead"

Should have activated the next leg instead of the approach.
It wanted to do the whole thing over again with the IAF I had originally selected.
Yes, that confused the heck out of me until I found out what Garmin means by the term.

IIRC, the early IFR CPS receivers used the term with a different meaning, in that you were REQUIRED to "activate" the approach in order have it set the proper sensitivities on the CDI for each segment of the approach. That's not the case with the Garmin units and I think that's part of why people get confused about it.

Last edited:
Today whilst flying an RNAV in to Gainesville Municipal, I loaded the departure, flew it, then loaded the approach and then was told to go direct Ilopy.

Around where the red X is, I went FPL, Ilopy, Direct Enter Enter and all was right with the world.
The Garmin showed the teardrop magenta procedure turn but just about a mile before the IAF,
the 430 starts flashing "Steep Turn Ahead"

Just before getting to the fix, the plane veers about 90 degrees to the east. I killed it and hand flew it.

I have never seen "steep turn ahead". Also if it clearly showed I was going to the IAF, procedure turn to rejoin final, what might cause it to decide I needed to be off to the east?

Very confusing. Baffled my instructor and an other instructor we spoke to after landing.
Approach was loaded but not activated. For grins after I it tried to turn, I activated the approach just to see what it would do and then it wanted to go to WALON IAF which kind of makes sense.

But why the steep turn alert and turning off course.
View attachment 97299

What do you mean by trashed?

Not being certified/legal IFR makes things difficult.
Not having the basic IFR avionics and instrumentation is going to be impossible.

Two VORs alone aren't going to let you get to the checkride anyhow.

When originally choosing the procedure, did it give you the option to hold and you did not choose it?

Back