Garmin 430 RS-232

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
Hey everyone,

I brought home my plane yesterday. I noticed next to the AUX jacks there are two ports that look like audio jacks as well, except they are labeled "RS232 port".

The garmin 430 installed (not WAAS), gives messages on start up, both of which read "no input from RS232". Followed by "No traffic input"

Evidence from inside the airplane indicated the last owner had a million gadgets hooked up. Can anyone point me to what these two ports could be?

Is there a device I need to pick up to add more features?

Side note, I'm going to be updated the database. Last update was 2012.

Googled "430 installation manual", here's a screen shot from the "system interface diagram".

Edit: ...and the serial interconnect diagram, which I just noticed. Duh.

Attachments

• 430w.jpg
    430w.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 430serial.jpg
    430serial.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
My 430 has an altitude encoder going into it. I started getting "no input from RS232" few years ago when I initially powered on the avionics, and sure enough, within six months, my altitude encoder failed and had to be replaced.

The Traffic option can be turned off in the settings menu since (I suspect) you don't have a TCAS (or ADS-B Traffic?) system installed. Pull down the GNS430 Installation Manual (available all over the place online). It'll show you how to change this setting to show no attached device.

If you are uncomfortable with any of this, any avionics shop should be able to configure all your ports based on the devices you have attached to the 430.

The GNS430 has a variety of inputs and outputs. The altitude encoder in is commonly used. Mine also outputs the current flight plan to my Aera 510 portable. The communication ports ate fully configurable from the service menus.

The GNS430 has a variety of inputs and outputs. The altitude encoder in is commonly used. Mine also outputs the current flight plan to my Aera 510 portable. The communication ports ate fully configurable from the service menus.

Thanks everyone..

So from the quote above, there could be any host of things that could be hooked to it. The airplane I own now is a 57 Cessna 172, and at one time was IFR certified. The previous owner had a host of gadgets that he would hook up (judging by the velcro on the top of the panel) and I'm guessing two of them went into that.

You're probably correct... You can go into the 430 setup menus and "turn off" whatever input is looking for the now-removed connection. I'm surprised to learn of an RS 232 connection port in the panel...usually those are hidden behind the panel for a "permanent" connection.

He probably had another Garmin handheld. They can share certain data over a serial cable. There's a bejillion other devices that can also accept or input data into the Garmin units.

Yeah, I looked again last night, its "RS232 input 1" and "RS232 input 3".

Back