Garmin 430 question (X-posted on red board)

grattonja

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saratoga driver
I am just starting to learn to use the Garmin 430 in our fleet's rental Cutlass. I've got what is probably a stupid question, but haven't been able to figure out the answer by reading, and wasn't able to find the solution in my most recent trip up behind the unit. So here goes.

I'm on a flight plan, very simple. LNS direct THV direct LNS. Practice approaches at both airports. I put the above in my active flight plan. I'm taking off LNS and it won't take long to get to THV and I want to load the GPS17 approach (at THV) into the flight plan. I hit "proc" but only get the option of approaches at my final destination, LNS. I try going into flight plan and highlighting THV and hit "proc". Same options.

How do I get the option to load an approach for an airport in my flight plan that isn't my final destination? We did it by simply going direct to THV and then loading the procedure for same. But that seems to me to defeat the purpose of loading the FP into the database to begin with.

Is this something that I can do by going into menus? Help!

Jim G

grattonja said:
I am just starting to learn to use the Garmin 430 in our fleet's rental Cutlass. I've got what is probably a stupid question, but haven't been able to figure out the answer by reading, and wasn't able to find the solution in my most recent trip up behind the unit. So here goes.

I'm on a flight plan, very simple. LNS direct THV direct LNS. Practice approaches at both airports. I put the above in my active flight plan. I'm taking off LNS and it won't take long to get to THV and I want to load the GPS17 approach (at THV) into the flight plan. I hit "proc" but only get the option of approaches at my final destination, LNS. I try going into flight plan and highlighting THV and hit "proc". Same options.

How do I get the option to load an approach for an airport in my flight plan that isn't my final destination? We did it by simply going direct to THV and then loading the procedure for same. But that seems to me to defeat the purpose of loading the FP into the database to begin with.

Is this something that I can do by going into menus? Help!

Jim G

If you hit "PROC" and then highlight the airport (on top) with the CRSR, you can change the airport for which you are entering the approach and select it.

Jason

You're going to shoot approaches at TVH?
The just punch in D-> THV, then PROC. Not sure why you would need the flight plan to go there and back.

N2212R said:
You're going to shoot approaches at TVH?
The just punch in D-> THV, then PROC. Not sure why you would need the flight plan to go there and back.

A fair question. Practice and learning with a new to me GPS was the answer. The pilot's reference materials that I read said I could do Direct and then get approaches for that place, even with a FP running. I wanted to see how one would get those same approaches from an airport in the middle of the FP without having to go direct. And wasn't able to make it happen despite knowing it had to be possible. Just trying to prepare so that, when I use the thing XC, I can get an approach in a pinch if weather goes sour, etc.

Jim G

When I shoot approaches, I just do the D-> to where I want the approaches, and then use PROC.

But I have a question about the OBS button. I took off from C03 and was direct to OYM yesterday. The course was about 090, maybe 092 or something like that. I pushed the OBS button because I remember it being a useless button in the past. So I push the button, and suddenly I am WAY off course to the left. The OBS line ran probably at like 075 to 255 direct to OYM. Why the heck would it do that? I read my Garmin 430 book which says:

The OBS key is used to select manual or automatic sequencing of waypoints. Pressing the OBS key selects OBS mode...
...pressing the OBS key again will return to normal operation.

But it doesn't! I press it again, and it just retains the same crazy line that's not even close to my course.

Ed, the only time I use the obs button is when going missed after an approach. If you had a procedure loaded was it trying to take you to the missed approach point?

Another question regarding the previous post about doing a procedure at an interim airport - if you fly the procedure and go missed so your holding at the missed approach hold point, and then reactivate the FPL, where does it take you next and by what route?

Scott, reread the first post from Hawkdriver. He was creating a flight plan to an airport then returning, i.e. one flight plan for the entire round trip route. Then he wanted to shoot approaches at the airport in the middle of the flight plan. I was curious how it would work if you were holding at the missed for the interim airport and then tried to resume the flight plan back to the original. I'm not sure how it would work.

I've never done this as I usually do the same as Ed.

I've downloaded the 430 simulator from Garmin. I'm strictly a VFR renter, but there's a lot of stuff in that 430 that I'd like to learn about without spending time in the airplane.

Are there any 'real world' situations that anybody had found where the simulator and the real-thing don't work the same?

scottd said:
Ed, the OBS button suspends (or unsuspends) waypoint sequencing. It can be used in a variety of ways, but lets you define an inbound course to a waypoint (either a "Direct-To" waypoint or the next waypoint in your flight plan). This can be useful for many things such as defining an extended centerline to a runway or defining a holding course at a VOR.
Besides suspending waypoint sequencing, the OBS mode makes the combination of a CDI or HSI and the GPS behave like a VOR receiver. Whatever course you select on the CDI(OBS) or HSI course pointer will generate a course through the current waypoint at the chosen angle relative to magnetic north (or the magnetic reference if the waypoint is a VOR). This course extends to infinity on either side or the waypoint so you can fly that course towards or away from the waypoint as far as you want.

And unlike the direct-to function, OBS mode allows you to modify the course at any time by changing the OBS on the CDI (just like using a VOR).

Scott,

Thanks - This thread started with questions about flight plans. During my PP training, most of what I learned on the 430 was direct-to. During my checkride, I was setting up for my XC portion using the direct-to (along with all the other available nav systems). My DPE said his personal preference was for people to use the FP rather than direct-to. 'Always put in where you are first, THEN put in where you are going', were as close as I can remember.

I've used the simulator to play with, set up, and learn the FP features. I expected there would be a mis-match between the simulator and real 430 regarding s/w and database versions. I just wasn't sure about the rest of the basic functionality.

I certainly has saved me from having to fumble around with the Hobbs running.

Matthew said:
Scott,

Thanks - This thread started with questions about flight plans. During my PP training, most of what I learned on the 430 was direct-to. During my checkride, I was setting up for my XC portion using the direct-to (along with all the other available nav systems). My DPE said his personal preference was for people to use the FP rather than direct-to. 'Always put in where you are first, THEN put in where you are going', were as close as I can remember.

I've used the simulator to play with, set up, and learn the FP features. I expected there would be a mis-match between the simulator and real 430 regarding s/w and database versions. I just wasn't sure about the rest of the basic functionality.

I certainly has saved me from having to fumble around with the Hobbs running.

This is what I was taught during my IR training with the KLN 94, hence my request for info on how to do stuff within FP on the G430..

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think several of you got close to what I was looking for, a way to access stuff within the FP to order up an approach. I'll give it a whirl next time in the 'las and let you all know what works.

Thanks again.

Jim G

More on the use of OBS, not the original question:

I've found the OBS very useful when VFR 10 miles out in 3 sm visibility and given a "make straight in for rwy 26" on my initial call to the tower.

Being direct-to the airport, hit obs, enter 260 (or the exact course if you have the airport diagram) on the either the HSI or the 430 (depending on installation) and the magenta line is then the approximate extended centerline.

Joe

Areeda said:
More on the use of OBS, not the original question:

I've found the OBS very useful when VFR 10 miles out in 3 sm visibility and given a "make straight in for rwy 26" on my initial call to the tower.

Being direct-to the airport, hit obs, enter 260 (or the exact course if you have the airport diagram) on the either the HSI or the 430 (depending on installation) and the magenta line is then the approximate extended centerline.

Joe

Thread hyjack approved! I wondered if the OBS mode worked like the KLN94 does, and it appears to work about the same. I appreciate that information as well. It is not discussed in the short manual for the 430, guess you have to download the 260 pager. I don't use the OBS mode often in the KLN94, and probably won't often in the 430/G1000 applications either, but it certainly has potential to be a real aid in finding a particular runway centerline. I can also help with a hold, assuming you are given a non published one. It gives you a visual depiction of the radial to fly to.

Jim G

Jim G

That's all fine and dandy with the OBS, but this magenta line when I pushed the OBS was not the CL of the runway, nor was it a line from my last waypoint, nor was it what my CDI was dialed into for a radial.

I was D-> on a heading of 092 or so. MY CDI had the OBS set to 092. The runway was 10/28 at my destination, and the OBS line was running 075/255?

Hitting the OBS again did not take me back to the D-> waypoint.

N2212R said:
That's all fine and dandy with the OBS, but this magenta line when I pushed the OBS was not the CL of the runway, nor was it a line from my last waypoint, nor was it what my CDI was dialed into for a radial.

Well that's wierd.

The way I believe it is supposed to work:

Assuming you are on a flight plan or direct to a waypoint. Going into OBS mode will
  1. Stop automatic sequencing, so when you past the waypoint nothing changes.
  2. The DTK (desired track) is set to the [omni]Bearing Selector (OBS). The OBS is set either from the connection to the HSI/VOR or by a dialog on the 430. Since OBS mode only works on GPS if you have the connection to the HSI/VOR but have VLOC selected for CDI output you will get the dialog box.
  3. Exiting CDI mode should resume automatic sequences and probably takes you to the next leg in the flight plan. It seems to depend on things I don't understand so I always either activate a leg of the flight plan or direct-to something usually in the flight plan.
Ed, without seeing it happen (and yes I believe you) my guess would be a problem with the HSI - Garmin connection. You can test this on the ground by direct to something, enter obs, spin the selector on your hsi and the magenta line should move. If you set CDI output to VLOC and enter OBS mode you should get a dialog box on the Garmin to cross check.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I'll have to check that. Like I said, I was on a D-> only "flight plan", but hitting the OBS again wouldn't have it revert back to normal. I'll have to mess with it again, and really document.

Back