Garmin 430 - How to delete approach & proceed to next airport

Bill54494

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill54494
Scenario: I entered a flight plan from KISW to KVIQ to KEAU, intending to fly a practice approach at KVIQ and then proceed to KEAU.

I flew the approach to KVIQ, but when I tried to proceed to KEAU, I couldn't find the way to do that. If I press FPL, it only shows the approach that I just flew as the flight plan, not the next leg to KEAU or the airports in the flight plan. I tried to figure out how to delete the approach that I just used, but what I ended up having to do was Delete Flight Plan? from the FPL page, which deleted the entire flight plan. I then just did Direct KEAU to save the day.

In a scenario like this, how do you delete the active approach without deleting the entire flight plan?

You could add KEAU to the end of the flight plan then activate leg.
Thanks. I understand that that would work, but why couldn't I get back to the original flight plan that showed the three airports? The only flight plan that showed when I pressed FPL was the approach I had just flown at KVIQ. How do I get rid of that so I can see the three airports in the flight plan?

If you flight planned with KEAU as your final destination airport, when you select the PROC (procedures) button and then choose Select Approach the 430 will give you the approaches for KEAU. The 430 always defaults to the last airport in the flight plan.

If you had an approach loaded for KVIQ the 430 thinks that is your final destination airport in your flight plan.

My guess is you didn't have KEAU in your flight plan as the final destination airport and that is why it would not give you the approaches - until you selected Direct KEAU.

The alternative to that is after flying the approach to KVIQ is PROC, then Select Approach, then hit Menu twice. It will bring up a list of options and you want to scroll down to "Select Next FPL Apt." That will then bring up the Approaches for the next airport on your flight plan sequence.

If I recall from yesterday when I actually made use of these features for the first time in years, from the active flight plan page, highlight approach label (I'm not sure if this step is needed, I just probably did that as negative transfer from the T-38 craptastic RNAV UI) select menu, scroll down to "remove approach", done.

Scenario: I entered a flight plan from KISW to KVIQ to KEAU, intending to fly a practice approach at KVIQ and then proceed to KEAU.

I flew the approach to KVIQ, but when I tried to proceed to KEAU, I couldn't find the way to do that. If I press FPL, it only shows the approach that I just flew as the flight plan, not the next leg to KEAU or the airports in the flight plan. I tried to figure out how to delete the approach that I just used, but what I ended up having to do was Delete Flight Plan? from the FPL page, which deleted the entire flight plan. I then just did Direct KEAU to save the day.

In a scenario like this, how do you delete the active approach without deleting the entire flight plan?

and @GRG55 . Go to 4:55.

If I recall from yesterday when I actually made use of these features for the first time in years, from the active flight plan page, highlight approach label (I'm not sure if this step is needed, I just probably did that as negative transfer from the T-38 craptastic RNAV UI) select menu, scroll down to "remove approach", done.
If you flight planned with KEAU as your final destination airport, when you select the PROC (procedures) button and then choose Select Approach the 430 will give you the approaches for KEAU. The 430 always defaults to the last airport in the flight plan.

If you had an approach loaded for KVIQ the 430 thinks that is your final destination airport in your flight plan.

My guess is you didn't have KEAU in your flight plan as the final destination airport and that is why it would not give you the approaches - until you selected Direct KEAU.

The alternative to that is after flying the approach to KVIQ is PROC, then Select Approach, then hit Menu twice. It will bring up a list of options and you want to scroll down to "Select Next FPL Apt." That will then bring up the Approaches for the next airport on your flight plan sequence.

Thanks, GRG55. Actually, I did have KEAU as the last airport in the flight plan. I think that your alternative suggestion may be the answer. I'll have to try that. I'm going to see if I can work on this with the 435/530 simulator.

Thanks, hindsight2020. The problem is that the depiction of the approach in this scenario does not show the approach label. It just shows all the waypoints of the approach as the active flight plan.

Back