Garmin 430 fpl question

warddc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dave W
Got a reroute today that I didn't know how to enter into my flight plan. I'm new to the 430. Maybe someone will know how to enter this. Asked for visual approach to the airport and the controller gave me direct ABC vor then outbound on the 311 radial. Had to go old school and dial the cdi on #2 nav. Lol

Got a reroute today that I didn't know how to enter into my flight plan. I'm new to the 430. Maybe someone will know how to enter this. Asked for visual approach to the airport and the controller gave me direct ABC vor then outbound on the 311 radial. Had to go old school and dial the cdi on #2 nav. Lol

Arriving at ABC go into OBS mode and select course 311. Once tracking the RNAV 311 course (essentially an RNAV overlay of the ABC 311 radial) you can choose to remain in OBS or not. In either case the 311 course from ABC to "infinity" will remain until you take further action.

Arriving at ABC go into OBS mode and select course 311. Once tracking the RNAV 311 course (essentially an RNAV overlay of the ABC 311 radial) you can choose to remain in OBS or not. In either case the 311 course from ABC to "infinity" will remain until you take further action.

So can the 311 radial segment be entered in the fpl ahead of the abc vor so it's ready to go?

Yes. If you have a fix somewhere out on the 311º to enter in the plan.

The 430 is point to point.

I think a more correct approach is to do it the way you did it, swapping to old school mode, tuning the VOR and setting the radial to 311.

An RNAV overlay with a course of 311 is not the same thing as joining the 311 radial.

Check out the T245 airway from SMO to POPPR (here's the chart: http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.92243866154562,-118.31707157588545&chart=469&zoom=1). Notice that the RNAV course is 128, yet it's actually the SMO R-125.

That's a 3 deg difference. It's not significant over a short distance, but in absence of a fix that you can program into the 430, setting the RNAV OBS to 311 is not always the same as joining the 311 radial. Stick with old school!

You should never forget how to fly raw data in any case, so it's good practice.

I think, fly direct to ABC, before you get to ABC put it in OBS and dial in a bearing of 331 and fly the magenta line.

I think a more correct approach is to do it the way you did it, swapping to old school mode, tuning the VOR and setting the radial to 311.

An RNAV overlay with a course of 311 is not the same thing as joining the 311 radial.

Check out the T245 airway from SMO to POPPR (here's the chart: http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.92243866154562,-118.31707157588545&chart=469&zoom=1). Notice that the RNAV course is 128, yet it's actually the SMO R-125.

That's a 3 deg difference. It's not significant over a short distance, but in absence of a fix that you can program into the 430, setting the RNAV OBS to 311 is not always the same as joining the 311 radial. Stick with old school!

Your VOR could have a 3 degree error.

Good point, but when a VOR is used for navigation using the OBS mode of the GPS, if you select the VOR radial as the course, it will match the radial from a VOR receiver as the VOR declination is used instead of the local variation.

Good point, but when a VOR is used for navigation using the OBS mode of the GPS, if you select the VOR radial as the course, it will match the radial from a VOR receiver as the VOR declination is used instead of the local variation.

good to know.

this is a great thread. never had that request thrown at me, and I would have had to fumble my way through the GPS menu unless I did it old school.

this is a great thread. never had that request thrown at me, and I would have had to fumble my way through the GPS menu unless I did it old school.

I did fumble a little at first trying to work with the 430. I still would like to know why the controller did it. The field was VFR (BKN 100 Vis >10). Had me confused. He had asked me what approach I wanted. I told him I was fine with a visual but he gave me a dog-leg out to a vor and back in on a radial. This was early in the morning and is not busy airspace. I think I was the only plane he was talking to. I guess he figured I couldn't find the field with my gps and needed to track a radial to get to it. LOL

Last edited:
Back