Garmin 430 flight-plan sequencing questions

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
The 172 I rent has a 430. Since I never know the state of the FP when I start it up I have to make sure to clear it, if I remember.

I had an issue once when I forgot to do that, and a previous renter's FP was still active. I was just out joyriding, and using the 430 as a DME for my home airport, but I noticed that it kept changing the destination - it took me a while to figure out that the 430 was auto-sequencing to the next leg of the still-active FP.

I have dug through the manuals, but still have a couple questions on use:

Is there a simple (not too many knob-twists or menu changes) way to pause a FP, setup a Direct-to, then resume the FP later?

Possibly, the next question has the same answer:
Suppose I have a FP for airport 1, 2, and 3. I'm between airports 1 and 2 and I decide to stop at airport 1.5. Is there a quick way to set airport 1.5 as a waypoint and not have the 430 autosequence to airport 2 until I tell it?

Thanks.

1. The simple way to set up a direct to which overrides the flight plan is the "Direct to" button, then "Direct to" - menu - "Cancel direct to"

2. I've never seen a 430/530 that saves the Active Flight Plan when shut down. Perhaps there is an option to do so, but I've been copying that flight plan when I want to do that.

The 172 I rent has a 430. Since I never know the state of the FP when I start it up I have to make sure to clear it, if I remember.
Garmin navigators have the general problem that there is no "master reset to defaults" option. You have to find and fix all the changes made by pilots preceding you. It can be as simple as setting your preferred map orientation or as complicated as digging to find that someone has set the screen contrast to "manual" and that's why you can't read it.

I had an issue once when I forgot to do that, and a previous renter's FP was still active. I was just out joyriding, and using the 430 as a DME for my home airport, but I noticed that it kept changing the destination - it took me a while to figure out that the 430 was auto-sequencing to the next leg of the still-active FP.

First, look up and study "Activate Leg."

Is there a simple (not too many knob-twists or menu changes) way to pause a FP, setup a Direct-to, then resume the FP later?
Yes, but not exactly the way you said it. Insert your "GoTo" waypoint in the flight plan (anywhere), then Activate Leg to it. When you want to resume the flight plan, select your desired waypoint and use Activate Leg again. If you like things tidy, you can then delete your "GoTo" waypoint.

Suppose I have a FP for airport 1, 2, and 3. I'm between airports 1 and 2 and I decide to stop at airport 1.5. Is there a quick way to set airport 1.5 as a waypoint and not have the 430 autosequence to airport 2 until I tell it?
Well, :), the "auto" means you're not going to tell it. But yes, the workaround is the same: You can insert airport 1.5 and use Activate Leg just as described above.

Understanding Activate Leg is very important if you are flying IFR. If you are getting vectored for an approach and ATC clears you to a waypoint that is not an IAF, Activate Leg is the only friend you have.

1. The simple way to set up a direct to which overrides the flight plan is the "Direct to" button, then "Direct to" - menu - "Cancel direct to"

It's been a while since I ran into this, but here's what I remember: There was a flight plan already active - I don't remember setting up the FP. The current leg was between two airports on a N/S line. I was west of that line. I entered a "Direct-to" to an airport that happened to fall either on or very close to that line. When I got close to that airport, the FP autosequenced to the airport that was next in line on that leg. I think I've also seen it happen when I was on a leg, then did "Direct to" to an intermediate airport that also fell on that same leg. When I got close to the selected airport, the FP sequenced to the next in line. That's why I was asking if there is a quick way to just pause a FP.

2. I've never seen a 430/530 that saves the Active Flight Plan when shut down. Perhaps there is an option to do so, but I've been copying that flight plan when I want to do that.

Maybe I'm seeing things, but when I turn on the 430 and switch to the FP page, there is usually a FP already loaded. I don't know how if it gets activated automatically, but I think I've somehow run into cases where it does.

It's been a while since I ran into this, but here's what I remember: There was a flight plan already active - I don't remember setting up the FP. The current leg was between two airports on a N/S line. I was west of that line. I entered a "Direct-to" to an airport that happened to fall either on or very close to that line. When I got close to that airport, the FP autosequenced to the airport that was next in line on that leg. I think I've also seen it happen when I was on a leg, then did "Direct to" to an intermediate airport that also fell on that same leg. When I got close to the selected airport, the FP sequenced to the next in line. That's why I was asking if there is a quick way to just pause a FP.
If you use the "Direct-to" (D with right arrow through it) it will not sequence back to the flight plan until you cancel "Direct-to"

Maybe I'm seeing things, but when I turn on the 430 and switch to the FP page, there is usually a FP already loaded. I don't know how if it gets activated automatically, but I think I've somehow run into cases where it does.
I have not seen this behavior, but it may be an option I haven't found. On every one I've used so far when powered up FPL give a blank or current airport only flight plan.

Do you have WAAS (430 vs 430W)? I want to check the correct manual and simulator to see if I can find that option.

Joe

The simple way to set up a direct to which overrides the flight plan is the "Direct to" button, then "Direct to" - menu - "Cancel direct to"
Slick. I didn't know you could do that. Learn something every day. Thanks.

If you use the "Direct-to" (D with right arrow through it) it will not sequence back to the flight plan until you cancel "Direct-to"

I have not seen this behavior, but it may be an option I haven't found. On every one I've used so far when powered up FPL give a blank or current airport only flight plan.

Do you have WAAS (430 vs 430W)? I want to check the correct manual and simulator to see if I can find that option.

Joe

I don't remember what it is - next time I go to the airport I'll see if I can remember to check the model and s/w revision. IN the meantime, I'm re-reading the manual I downloaded.

This isn't too big a deal, but it's just something I've run across before. It caught me by surprise until I figured out a day or two later what might have happened. I don't even remember what made me think about it this morning.

---

Edit: Do'h - THat's what I get for renting differnet planes. The one I had problems with doesn't have a 430. It has KLN94.

So, I shuold rename the thread title to "KLN94 sequencing questions"

Sorry about that!!!

But, now I'm wondering about the operations of the KLN94.

Last edited:
OK - now that I know what I'm talking about:

Here's what I probably ran into:

From the KLN94 manual-
>>
Whenever you do a Direct
To operation to a waypoint which is in the active flight plan (FPL 0), the
system will provide navigation to the waypoint and then automatically
resume navigation along the flight plan when the Direct To waypoint is​
reached.
<<

Sounds like I this is what I probably did. Now, I just need to find out how to pause the FP to prevent this from happening when I don't want it to.

And I am pretty sure that this unit will retain FP0 when powered off.

I'm sorry are you using a Garmin 430 or a Bendix/King KLN94? I don't remember the power up state of the active flight plan in a King GPS.

If you are using the Garmin, then it is also true going Direct-to a waypoint in the active Flight Plan will sequence to the next, but going Direct-to a waypoint not in the flight plan does not sequence.

Joe

Sorry for all the confusion - I'm really talking about the KLN94 after all.

From what I've just read, the KLN94 and 430 sequence the same way when using Direct-to to a waypoint already in the FP.

Is there a simple way to override that behavior if I wanted to?

Sorry for all the confusion - I'm really talking about the KLN94 after all.

From what I've just read, the KLN94 and 430 sequence the same way when using Direct-to to a waypoint already in the FP.

Is there a simple way to override that behavior if I wanted to?
Now I'm completely confused.

In your first post I thought you were talking about an airport not in your flight plan.

In general (how's that for a caveat) the OBS function will stop sequencing of waypoints on most the GPS units. I've yet to see one it did not but who knows?

Since I feel qualified to teach the Garmin units but not the King, I'll just watch the thread.

Joe

In general (how's that for a caveat) the OBS function will stop sequencing of waypoints on most the GPS units. I've yet to see one it did not but who knows?
That behavior might be specified in the TSO, but it's a long time since I've looked at it.

Now I'm completely confused.

In your first post I thought you were talking about an airport not in your flight plan.

Since I feel qualified to teach the Garmin units but not the King, I'll just watch the thread.

Joe

I think I confused myself as well:

>>
<<

From what I've learned today - the autosequence happens when you direct-to a waypoint already in the FP. Since I DID see the GPS autosequence, then that's what must have happened to me. I didn't THINK the airport was in the FP, but it must have been if that's the behavior I saw.

I'll read up on the OBS function.

Thanks.

For KLN-9X
-The active flight plan "lives" on the 0 page.

-Once you hit direct to that way point now takes over the FP on the 0 page and the plane will navigate to the selected Direct To way point.

-When you want to resume the previous FP, find the desired flight-plan on the FP pages by turning the left big knob to to the saved FP menu, then use the little left knob to scroll though the saved Flight Plans.

-Hit the cursor to highlight the FP then enter to load the FP onto the 0 page ..make sure the correct fix is selected though if you are downrange from the beginning way point.

-(or go to the 0 page and just manually re-enter the origional FP)

I flew with one of these for several years...great units however its been about 6 months since I touched once of these things...sorry in advance if Im wrong.
(I actually was air twisting knobs to remember all this)

Last edited:
For KLN-9X
-The active flight plan "lives" on the 0 page.

-Once you hit direct to that way point now takes over the FP on the 0 page and the plane will navigate to the selected Direct To way point.

-When you want to resume the previous FP, find the desired flight-plan on the FP pages by turning the left big knob to to the saved FP menu, then use the little left knob to scroll though the saved Flight Plans.

-Hit enter to use FP, it will reload it onto the 0 page ..make sure the correct fix is selected though if you are downrange from the beginning way point.

-(or go to the 0 page and just manually re-enter the origional FP)

Thanks - I think it all comes down to the fact that I need a refresher course. It was doing exactly what it was supposed to do, but I didn't know that at the time.

I just recently got some time with a CFI. He really used the FP a lot during our flights (I learn something new from every CFI I fly with). So I've slowly started to try using just a little more of it's capabilities than I had in the past.

Joe

To add a bit more clarity if the Direct To is a fix on the loaded active flight plan the 430/530 will pick up the flight plan sequence once you reach that fix. If you do not have an active flight plan then the unit will go into suspend once you reach the Direct To fix.

Thanks - I think it all comes down to the fact that I need a refresher course. It was doing exactly what it was supposed to do, but I didn't know that at the time.

I just recently got some time with a CFI. He really used the FP a lot during our flights (I learn something new from every CFI I fly with). So I've slowly started to try using just a little more of it's capabilities than I had in the past.

Glad to hear it....using the FP list vs Direct To for everyday flight plans will add immense utility to your flying experience . In IFR , knowing how to use the GPS the right way is a critical skill IMO.

Holds head in hands and runs from the string. No wonder Sanchez has the attitude he has.....

In my case I did all my training without GPS, and later jumped into rentals with different flavors. I got the instructions, "here's how direct-to works". I've downloaded manuals and simulators, but still have a long way to go. I know - there are ways to learn, and I'm trying.

Manuals and simulators are no substitute for training. I strongly recommend using one of those training packages linked above, especially the Electronic Flight Solutions package (light blue cover).

Manuals and simulators are no substitute for training. I strongly recommend using one of those training packages linked above, especially the Electronic Flight Solutions package (light blue cover).

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Back