Garmin 430/530

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Why would you want a 430 and a 530 in an aircraft? How would you set them up for efficient use in IMC?

I've had that combo in two planes: the 58P owned from 2005 to last month, and now in the C90. Two different thoughts. In the baron, one was primary and one was back up. Two radios (one on each) and two navs. The garmins could be set up two different ways which gives great flexibility. For instance, the 530 was primary for us and we would put in an approach. The 430 could be set up in the same manner or simply used as com 2. On an ILS, one could just have the localizer tuned for back up with the primary having the full approach loaded.
On the C90, the 530 drives the pilot's CDI, the 430 drives the co polot's CDI. Independent systems to cross check or provide back up if one went out.

Best,

Dave

I have only the 430, but having another 430 or 530 would be great. using one as a primary display and having the other to flip between screens. Flying an approach would be great b/c you could have the GPS screen on one and the CDI on the other.

We have a 430W/530W setup in the 310 and added the 430W a couple of months ago to make it that way. Our reasons are pretty similar to Dave's. The 430W is a good backup Nav/Com (in our case a vast improvement over the previous unit, an old Collins junker).

The 430W can also be set up to display different information. I have it set up with teerrain as standard. That is good to have in case I somehow lose situational awareness and am heading for a cliff, it will alert me before the "Terrain! Terrain!" warning. Same for traffic.

On approaches or en route, I can use the 430 to look up information or get distance to a point without disturbing the 530.

The other benefit (as someone who likes two of everything) is that it has the obvious GPS backup in case one fails. In most scenarios, this isn't a huge deal. But I fly to some middle of nowhere places where GPS is the only instrument means of navigation. So that is a nice extra comfort to have.

So you can pay Jeppesen extra for the data subscription! :D

So you can pay Jeppesen extra for the data subscription! :D

Nope. We just cycle the cards. The one unit has a one month old database and the other one is current. Use the current one for navigation and the other one for situational awareness.

Nope. We just cycle the cards. The one unit has a one month old database and the other one is current. Use the current one for navigation and the other one for situational awareness.

Ooooh, I thought they had to be the came cycle to do the crossfill thing.

Ooooh, I thought they had to be the came cycle to do the crossfill thing.

They do. But how hard is it to crossfill D-> ?

Two is really nice in terrible weather in busy terminal space, on the missed. Doing it on one requires that you set the new destination; if you do not, you might be able to fly to a fix but the logic defaults to the previous airport.

But aside from that, there really isn't much need.
It IS really NICE in that situation, though. BTDT.

I have a second GPS that has all the information (and more) that the Garmin's don't have. I use the second one to get all the info, and use the 430 for nav/com.

I have a second GPS that has all the information (and more) that the Garmin's don't have. I use the second one to get all the info, and use the 430 for nav/com.

Right, to each their own. You can't hook your second GPS into your CDI/HSI and use it for real navigation if needed. But I agree that for most people having the handheld GPS makes sense as the backup.

Right, to each their own. You can't hook your second GPS into your CDI/HSI and use it for real navigation if needed. But I agree that for most people having the handheld GPS makes sense as the backup.

That I can't do, but since I have a MLOD on it (actually it's yellow) with a CDI I can use that for, uh, "situational awareness" while I pull up VOR radials on the 430, or even the second VOR head I have.

That I can't do, but since I have a MLOD on it (actually it's yellow) with a CDI I can use that for, uh, "situational awareness" while I pull up VOR radials on the 430, or even the second VOR head I have.

Right. My concern comes more from when I go up to places where the nearest next airport (which also doesn't have anything but GPS approaches) is 50-100 nm away and shooting an approach with a handheld is really a bad idea if the weather is that bad that I can't do a visual out there.

I think you tend to see dual GPSs in planes that are used for more serious IFR travel. For most people, I don't see a benefit.

Right. My concern comes more from when I go up to places where the nearest next airport (which also doesn't have anything but GPS approaches) is 50-100 nm away and shooting an approach with a handheld is really a bad idea if the weather is that bad that I can't do a visual out there.

I think you tend to see dual GPSs in planes that are used for more serious IFR travel. For most people, I don't see a benefit.

Oh, if you're talking about one of the 430s crapping out, I can see that concern. But honestly, even though it's not certified, the X650 box I have always agrees with the 430 lat/long wise plus it's WAAS. Plus it gives me altitude stepdowns on the approaches which the 430 does not.

Actually, I see two transponders in a/c used for serious IFR travel.....

Oh, if you're talking about one of the 430s crapping out, I can see that concern. But honestly, even though it's not certified, the X650 box I have always agrees with the 430 lat/long wise plus it's WAAS. Plus it gives me altitude stepdowns on the approaches which the 430 does not.

Upgrade the 430 to a 430W and see what happens.

Actually, I see two transponders in a/c used for serious IFR travel.....

In pressurized aircraft, sure, that as well.

In pressurized aircraft, sure, that as well.
Not only. Tom put a backup xpdr in the Branded Bird. I actually used it once while on VFR FF, when the 480's connection to the primary failed due to poor seating.

I'm a pilot. I'm too cheap to do that.

Actually I wouldn't have initially done it either. The main motivation was that back in PA the home drone got WAAS approaches that were lower than the iLS. Once I had it, I wished I'd done it sooner.

Not only. Tom put a backup xpdr in the Branded Bird. I actually used it once while on VFR FF, when the 480's connection to the primary failed due to poor seating.

And I'm sure there are a handful of other planes with similaar stories. I can count on one hand the number of non-pressurized planes I've seen with two transponders with fingers left over - it's just not common. When we put in the GTX327 I considered leaving the partially-working Collins transponder in, but decided ultimately it didn't really offer much benefit.

Two GPSs, however, are becoming increasingly common.

Why would you want a 430 and a 530 in an aircraft? How would you set them up for efficient use in IMC?

For the same reason most planes have two NAVCOM, redundancy. The 430 and 530 gives you dual VOR/ILS, COM and GPS. I usually set COM1 for tower and ground while COM2 for ATIS and approach. You can set the 530 for the NAV MAP display while the 430 for traffic or terrain when on approach. Once you have selected an approach on the 530 the traffic window will not pop-up on the the MAP. But you can select the traffic window on the 430 to display continuosly. A handy combination and looks great.

José

Back