Garmin 400 works intermittent

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
My Garmin 400 has been working fine but suddenly earlier this week it would not turn on. I checked all my circuit breakers and they were all good. I cycled the on/off knob a few times and still nothing. Then after i did my run-up i decided to try it once more and it turned on just fine and worked perfectly. Once again last night, I tried to turn it on and nothing. I even tried turning it on when I got in the air and still nothing.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Hopefully it’s a wire going to the unit and not something internal.

I think it is a wire because it came on again intermittently and then my transponder went out as well and then came back on but then went out and stayed off.

Time to look at wiring

Make sure it is securely in the tray. The final statement sounds like it could be a power problem. Loose wire in the avionics bus or a loose ground connection.

Yeah, fingers crossed cause everything that I read sounds like it is very expensive to fix the Garmin if that is the issue

I definitely dodged a bullet. I pulled the stack out and started hunting around for a loose wire. I found that the circuit breaker ground wire had come undone. I tightened it up with a new screw and nut and some locktite. Everything works good now

Back