Garmin 396 rentals - Chicago area & elsewhere

nyoung

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan young
Hey all.

I have been flying with a Garmin396 for about 1.5 years now. In my opinion, it is probably one of the best tools we pilots can have in the cockpit. The comfort in knowing the weather enroute and at destination are wonderful (VFR or IFR), and the XM radio is nice entertainment for those long cross countries.

The acquistion costs (~$1500) and monthly service fees (~$59) for a 396/496 are pretty high, so I think there is a market for the pilot who wants occasional access to them. Therefore, I started a small company (RentGPS, LLC) to rent 396s. Eventually, I plan to support nationwide rentals via FedEx delivery... but in the meantime, I have partnered with Blue Skies FBO to rent onsite at Lake in the Hills (3CK).

Chicago area pilots. If you are planning a trip, and want access to a 396. Give Blue Skies a call @ 815.356.8121 or email me at support@irentgps.com

Rental rates $30/day & $100/week

Thanks,
Nathan

Do you rent 496's as well?

There are longer-term 496 (and 396, and some others) rentals available from Air Power http://www.factorygps.com/ I'm currently renting a 496 from them. You pay $59/mo to rent the GPS ($49/mo for the 396), but you're also responsible for the XM fees of either $30 or $50 per month depending on which package you choose. You also have to pay the $100 activation fee, BUT...

You're limited to 3 months at a time, but they will send you a brand new GPS, and when your 3 months is up you can keep the XM antenna and they'll send you another brand new 496 sans antenna - So, you can rent continuously, without having to pay the activation fee each time.

One more thing - Your first 3-month rental counts towards a purchase if you decide you want to buy one.

That is you who is doing that? I knew about and have thought about getting one of those units form my upcoming trip to Florida.

They're a lifesaver on the long trips Scott. I probably wouldn't have made it to or from Gaston's last year without the 496, and in the event you do have to stop for weather, the AOPA directory is a HUGE help in deciding where to stop (no sense stopping at a field with no services or nearby lodging!), and when you get on the ground and into a courtesy/rental car, it'll tell you how to get there on the road too! Unfortunately, I don't think the 396 has either of the latter features (a car kit is available though).

Now if only Garmin would bring the 496 up to date with some of their newer automotive stuff, I'd actually BUY one.

Yep. I thought it would be a neat way to contribute to the local flying community. Once you fly with a 396/496, it's hard to imagine not having one. You should definitely consider using it for the Florida trip.

That is you who is doing that? I knew about and have thought about getting one of those units form my upcoming trip to Florida.

No, right now, we only have 396s. The acquire cost is about $1k less than a 496, and I do not think I could rent the 496 for much (if any) more than the 396.

I have read the ads in Trade-a-plane for the Airpower rentals. I am not sure I understand their business model. Is it a rent to own setup?

Do they explain why you have to turn in the GPS every 3 months? If you get a new one, that's kind of nice (especially wrt to database updates), but it seems odd to me.

Anyway, if one is looking for a long term rental, the airpower rentals seem like a good deal.

There are longer-term 496 (and 396, and some others) rentals available from Air Power http://www.factorygps.com/ I'm currently renting a 496 from them. You pay $59/mo to rent the GPS ($49/mo for the 396), but you're also responsible for the XM fees of either $30 or $50 per month depending on which package you choose. You also have to pay the $100 activation fee, BUT...

Yep. I thought it would be a neat way to contribute to the local flying community. Once you fly with a 396/496, it's hard to imagine not having one. You should definitely consider using it for the Florida trip.
Does one have to reserve in advance or are they pretty easy to pick up a few days prior to departure?

Too bad you don't ship to renters yet. I might be interested in one over Thanksgiving for a trip from IA to AL in a /A 182RG. :(

hehe, but is the DB up to date???? The loran in our other Archer (41E) is so old that some airports have changed identifiers in the mean time.... It lists Wilmot (5K6) as WI10 still :)

Heck 6Y9 wasn't even on there. I ended up putting it in as a user waypoint from the AFD coordinates....

hehe, but is the DB up to date???? The loran in our other Archer (41E) is so old that some airports have changed identifiers in the mean time.... It lists Wilmot (5K6) as WI10 still :)

Didn't also list 6Y9 as a few miles from where it is now?

It's so-so. I think it has a 1994 database I think. Some of the places enroute to SAT weren't in there, and several identifiers had changed. Makes the trip more interesting I guess. More like an adventure - you're not 100% sure where you'll end up. :yikes:

ours is newer than yours then cause we had 6Y9 in the database

Hell all you need is a sectional, compass, and a watch. everything else is just showing off :)

Don't Laugh, I actually did that on the way down to Gastons, even though I had a 496 with me..... Water Tower Nav is fun.

You can reserve online and check the 396's schedule via BlueSkies website (although you have to get a login approved from BlueSkies. Takes about 1 day). This would allow you to check out the GPS the day before or the morning of your trip.

As far as availability... right now, the GPS has been going out a few times a month, so I would think you can wait until just before your trip to make a decision on rental.

I have not done any marketing other than word of mouth. It has been renting enough that I think I can make a small business of this, so I am going to start marketing a bit. Hopefully rentals will pick up accordingly, which means schedule will be less available.

Does one have to reserve in advance or are they pretty easy to pick up a few days prior to departure?

Last edited:
You can reserve online and check the 396's schedule via BlueSkies website (although you have to get a login approved from BlueSkies. Takes about 1 day). This would allow you to check out the GPS the day before or the morning of your trip.

As far as availability... right now, the GPS has been going out a few times a month, so I would think you can wait until just before your trip to make a decision on rental.

I have not done any marketing other than word of mouth. It has been renting enough that I think I can make a small business of this, so I am going to start marketing a bit. Hopefully rentals will pick up accordingly, which means schedule will be less available.

Good luck! I hope it takes off for you. It is definitely a niche that can be scratched with the right system/marketing.

JOOC... Are there any issues with XM as far as renting the service out to other users? Or are you depending on the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" ideology? ;)

No, right now, we only have 396s. The acquire cost is about $1k less than a 496, and I do not think I could rent the 496 for much (if any) more than the 396.

I'm spending the extra $10/mo for the 496. The biggest advantage, to me, is that it REALLY helps when you need to divert due to weather - You can find an airport that has nearby lodging, a courtesy car, and is still open and then when you get on the ground you can use the Auto mode to navigate the unfamiliar streets to get to food, lodging, and if you're gonna be there a while, local attractions and shopping. In an emergency, having all of the private strips depicted could be a lifesaver, and the faster (5x) update rate is nice too.

I have read the ads in Trade-a-plane for the Airpower rentals. I am not sure I understand their business model. Is it a rent to own setup?

Do they explain why you have to turn in the GPS every 3 months? If you get a new one, that's kind of nice (especially wrt to database updates), but it seems odd to me.

It's kind of weird. Yes, you can use it as rent to own a bit, but only the first 3 months actually count toward a purchase. What they told me is that Garmin won't let them sell 496's *new* for less than $2395, but they can sell them *used* for any price they want. Apparently there's enough of a margin there that they'd rather sell more of them used. The rental program just makes new GPS's into used ones. (I wish airplanes worked this way! :D)

The 496 might be getting cheaper, I see that Garmin is introducing a 696 at AOPA Expo. :yes:

I'm spending the extra $10/mo for the 496. The biggest advantage, to me, is that it REALLY helps when you need to divert due to weather - You can find an airport that has nearby lodging, a courtesy car, and is still open and then when you get on the ground you can use the Auto mode to navigate the unfamiliar streets to get to food, lodging, and if you're gonna be there a while, local attractions and shopping. In an emergency, having all of the private strips depicted could be a lifesaver, and the faster (5x) update rate is nice too.
That's what the iPhone is for. And if that doesn't work, many FBOs have ARINC frequencies that work quite a ways away. The 496 is nicer, but the $$$ to buy a 396 was enough for me.

Btw., the 396 has the auto mode, too.

All that said, I'm without a plane as of right now for a few (hopefully not too many months). I'd consider lending someone my 396 if you have a X/C coming up.

-Felix

That's what the iPhone is for.

Um, what? Finding lodging nearby? The iPhone, and really any other phone, works like crap in the air. I don't want to land only to find that there really isn't any nearby lodging, or transportation to it.

And if that doesn't work, many FBOs have ARINC frequencies that work quite a ways away.

How do those work, anyway? I've seen them published, but do you just call up as if it were a Unicom, or do you have to do something special as with a GCO to get it to connect (or connect to the right place)?

Btw., the 396 has the auto mode, too.

Yes, if you buy the car kit for an extra $250 or so. The 496 has all that built in.

Um, what? Finding lodging nearby? The iPhone, and really any other phone, works like crap in the air. I don't want to land only to find that there really isn't any nearby lodging, or transportation to it.
I wasn't being completely serious, but data services work well enough in the air to look up airports on the AOPA directory. Good enough for me....

How do those work, anyway? I've seen them published, but do you just call up as if it were a Unicom, or do you have to do something special as with a GCO to get it to connect (or connect to the right place)?
I've never been able to find a good answer to that. I just call them up by name. Seems to work every time I've tried it.

Yes, if you buy the car kit for an extra $250 or so. The 496 has all that built in.
Really? What does the car kit get you? My 396 seems to work just fine in car mode.

-Felix

That worked out really cool. I got all set up pretty quick but I was not sure how to actually do the reservation so I stopped by today and the people behind the counter helped. I did a second reservation myself a short time ago.

I plan on using it for my Thanksgiving flying to KSMD And then to Tony's fly in. Then in December I am taking my plane down to Clearwater to visit my step dad and will take it along then.

So you will get a couple of weeks of rentals out of me in the coming weeks.

Scott, Clearwater Air Park?

That's where I bought 6JA
Yes sir that is where I am thinking of going. It is pretty close to my step-dad's new apartment. I have to call them about rental cars. If it is too much of a problem I will probably go over to St. Pete or Albert Whitted.

So you closed the deal on 6JA at Clearwater Airpark huh, That plane was based at KSRQ on the other side of the bay. That is where I would rent it from.

I am going to post my proposed flight tomorrow as it is on the other computer and would apreciate your insight in a flight between there and the Midwest.

All that said, I'm without a plane as of right now for a few (hopefully not too many months). I'd consider lending someone my 396 if you have a X/C coming up.

-Felix

Felix what happened to the bonanza??? You upgrading to a twin?

Yes sir that is where I am thinking of going. It is pretty close to my step-dad's new apartment. I have to call them about rental cars. If it is too much of a problem I will probably go over to St. Pete or Albert Whitted.

So you closed the deal on 6JA at Clearwater Airpark huh, That plane was based at KSRQ on the other side of the bay. That is where I would rent it from.

I am going to post my proposed flight tomorrow as it is on the other computer and would apreciate your insight in a flight between there and the Midwest.

These guys bought the fleet from Jones then sold them individually.

http://www.clearwateraircraft.com/

Happy to give my .02 to your plan.

ours is newer than yours then cause we had 6Y9 in the database

Or it was older and had 6Y9 in the database from before it was closed! That's actually more likely, considering 6Y9 wasn't opened back up until 2006 and I'm pretty sure both of our LORANs were installed before that. :yes:

You're limited to 3 months at a time, but they will send you a brand new GPS, and when your 3 months is up you can keep the XM antenna and they'll send you another brand new 496 sans antenna - So, you can rent continuously, without having to pay the activation fee each time.

One more thing - Your first 3-month rental counts towards a purchase if you decide you want to buy one.

Well... I just looked, and they're now renting 696's for $89/mo. Hmmmm. :idea:

What's the scoop on the "Try it free for 30 days" stuff on their site? I only need a 3/496 for about a week. Could I 'try' it for that week and return it for free?! What am I missing on their site regarding that scenario?

What's the scoop on the "Try it free for 30 days" stuff on their site? I only need a 3/496 for about a week. Could I 'try' it for that week and return it for free?! What am I missing on their site regarding that scenario?

Well, after you spend the shipping charges, $75 activation fee and anywhere from $30 to $100 for that first month of XM weather, you probably aren't gonna want to send it right back. ;)

The "I'm taking a 4000 nm trip next week but I'm not going to leave the pattern the rest of the year" type would be better served by one of the weekly subscription-included deals like you see at the top of this thread.

I just sent the 496 back tonight. :(

Maybe a 696 next year. :D

That's awesome. I tried emailing them (sales@) a couple weeks ago to ask them if they planned on making it available but the email kept bouncing.
For me this might be a great option to see if I like it and how/if I could reasonably mount it on the yoke or elsewhere in the plane.

I like!

Picking up my rental 396 tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it all goes. This will be the first time I have ever touched one of the X96 GPS. I am GPS savvy having used Garmin, King, and Motorola GPSs for several years. So we will see how hard it is to pick up how to use this device.

The reservation of the device was not too hard. It took about an hour to get an account on the system and then I had to figure out where the GPS reservation was hidden on the schedule. But once that was done no problem. I did get an auto reminder email today to let me know my reservation was still active.

I hope Nathan doesn't mind me posting this. If so, let me know, Nathan, and I will remove this post.

I guess I am the first official guinea pig for the 'out of area' rental. He really wasn't set up to ship the unit out for rental, but he went out of his way to make it work for me. I received my 396 from FedEx today! It arrived in a well sealed, well padded box. With the unit came: 396 Unit, mounted antenna, bean bag mount bracket, remote XM antenna (with extension cable if needed), cig. lighter power cable, music output ?2.5mm? patch cable. All of this is contained in a VERY handy carrying case (retired camera bag, maybe?) If I can find my camera, I'll post a pic of the contents. Also in the box is a pre-paid return shipping label, so when I go to return the unit, all I have to do is slap the new label on the same box and drop it at a FedEx location. He even included the address of the two nearest FedEx locations from my house!!

Nathan is an easy guy to work with. I'm really glad to have the extra tool onboard for my trip to Alabama this week. I hope his business really takes off.

Thanks again, Nathan!

I hope Nathan doesn't mind me posting this. If so, let me know, Nathan, and I will remove this post.

I guess I am the first official guinea pig for the 'out of area' rental. He really wasn't set up to ship the unit out for rental, but he went out of his way to make it work for me. I received my 396 from FedEx today! It arrived in a well sealed, well padded box. With the unit came: 396 Unit, mounted antenna, bean bag mount bracket, remote XM antenna (with extension cable if needed), cig. lighter power cable, music output ?2.5mm? patch cable. All of this is contained in a VERY handy carrying case (retired camera bag, maybe?) If I can find my camera, I'll post a pic of the contents. Also in the box is a pre-paid return shipping label, so when I go to return the unit, all I have to do is slap the new label on the same box and drop it at a FedEx location. He even included the address of the two nearest FedEx locations from my house!!

Nathan is an easy guy to work with. I'm really glad to have the extra tool onboard for my trip to Alabama this week. I hope his business really takes off.

Thanks again, Nathan!
How are you getting the unit back so that I can rent it tomorrow then? I do have a reservation or this an extra unit nathan had?

How are you getting the unit back so that I can rent it tomorrow then? I do have a reservation or this an extra unit nathan had?

Hopefully there's an extra unit. Otherwise, you'll have to catch me if you can. :D

Hi Scott.

No worries. Chris is using a different unit than you !!!

The 396 for your rental is at Blue Skies and ready to go.

Have a good flight!
-Nathan

Back