Garmin 396 - Portable, color, and X/M Weather!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap396/

This is VERY cool:

The GPSMAP 396 with XM WX Satellite Weather™ features Next Generation Radar (NEXRAD), Aviation Routine Weather Reports (METARs), Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts (TAFs), Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs), Lightning and Winds Aloft, and several other important weather products to help pilots make informed navigational decisions. This new aviation handheld continues to reduce pilot workload by displaying Traffic Information Service (TIS) data when interfaced to the GTX 330, and can channel frequencies with the touch of a button when interfaced to the SL30 nav/comm radio. The GPSMAP 396 is also capable of receiving XM Satellite Radio’s 130-plus channels of music, sports, news, talk, and entertainment programming through a subscription. Once on the ground, the unit continues to provide pilots with invaluable information in a car or boat via automotive or marine navigation modes.

Pilots can customize the map display to overlay XM WX data directly over the unit’s Jeppesen and topographic map databases, or display individual weather products on the exclusive weather explorer™ page. In terrain mode, the GPSMAP 396 combines inputs from built-in terrain, obstacle, and electronic flight databases to give pilots a vivid depiction of proximity hazards that require their attention. Pilots can customize their own minimum-clearance limits to receive terrain cautions, which pop up as digital thumbnail images.

Yes, it is very cool. I just wish they'd increase the screen size. I'm still drawn to the Av Map EKP IV, for the flat profile and large screen. If they also added Wx. it'd be no contest for me (even though the Garmin still has more features).

As it is, I'd still lean towards the Av Map, though if costs were equal, it'd be the Garmin. Then I'd just keep complaining about the screen size.....

I like it. This is THE answer. I was going to get a PDA and Anywhere Map, but this is a simpler solution with less cords goine everywhere. Terrain and weather. Nice.

My partners, who don't fly hard IFR, don't see the point of spending $3,000 - $5,000 for either a Strikefinder or weather overlay for the 430 (I have concerns about the small size of the screen on the 430 with a weather overlay as well). Is it possible to take a lap top with me, with an XM radio subsription, and have the weather display on the laptop screen? Would it track with the plane?

T Bone said:
Yes, it is very cool. I just wish they'd increase the screen size. I'm still drawn to the Av Map EKP IV, for the flat profile and large screen. If they also added Wx. it'd be no contest for me (even though the Garmin still has more features).

As it is, I'd still lean towards the Av Map, though if costs were equal, it'd be the Garmin. Then I'd just keep complaining about the screen size.....

I think Im going to buy this unit. I will sell you my EKPIV if you would like to make a deal?

Michael

bstratt said:
My partners, who don't fly hard IFR, don't see the point of spending $3,000 - $5,000 for either a Strikefinder or weather overlay for the 430 (I have concerns about the small size of the screen on the 430 with a weather overlay as well). Is it possible to take a lap top with me, with an XM radio subsription, and have the weather display on the laptop screen? Would it track with the plane?

I knew a guy who flies a 206 with his laptop set up on the right seat. Very cool. Plus, he could switch screens faster than you can push buttons meaning he had instant access of all kinds of information all on a large full color flat screen. I remember seeing real time wx on it but I don't know how he imported it.

bstratt said:

Barry,

I have a rugged tablet PC I take in the plane. I use XM weather on it. It works GREAT.

You can take a regular laptop, but don't use it above about 10,000 ft. The hard drive heads float on a cushion of air, and the thin air density above 10K runs the risk of a crash. Trust me on this.... I speak from experience.

You can get a high-altitude (or rugged) laptop, which is what I did after I concluded the hard way that a regular laptop was NG at 15,000, but it does cost more $$$.

wsuffa said:
Barry,

I have a rugged tablet PC I take in the plane. I use XM weather on it. It works GREAT.

You can take a regular laptop, but don't use it above about 10,000 ft. The hard drive heads float on a cushion of air, and the thin air density above 10K runs the risk of a crash. Trust me on this.... I speak from experience.

You can get a high-altitude (or rugged) laptop, which is what I did after I concluded the hard way that a regular laptop was NG at 15,000, but it does cost more $$$.

Being non pressurized and not having supplemental oxygen on board I rarely go above 10,000 so if that is the limit I'm probably okay.

If I just subscribe to XM and the weather package do I get the necessary software to load on my laptop? Do I need some form of GPS package as well so it can figure out where I am or do you just scroll the screens until you find where you are? How does this work?

bstratt said:
Being non pressurized and not having supplemental oxygen on board I rarely go above 10,000 so if that is the limit I'm probably okay.

If I just subscribe to XM and the weather package do I get the necessary software to load on my laptop? Do I need some form of GPS package as well so it can figure out where I am or do you just scroll the screens until you find where you are? How does this work?

Check the specs on your laptop. Most have a max altitude of 10K, some are less.

You get the software when you buy the receiver from WXWorx. There are two packages. The more expensive one includes the base map data, airports, vors, and the like IIRC. You will need a GPS receiver hookup (I bought the same Holux GPS that WxWorx sells on Ebay for 1/2 the price), but the functionality is built into the more expensive software from WxWorx. You can also take an input from another GPS if you already own it. You CAN operate it without the GPS, but I don't think I'd want to pick through storms without the GPS position displayed on the map.

wsuffa said:
Barry,

We too lost three laptops on an Everest trip the paper sponsored. Once they got above 10K one drive after another failed. What we found is that the older 3- 12 gig drives continued to work.

It says its WAAS enabled. What good is that as its not IFR certified? No handheld is. I guess as a "back-up" for approaches?

Anthony said:
It says its WAAS enabled. What good is that as its not IFR certified? No handheld is. I guess as a "back-up" for approaches?

probably for the same reason they have aproaches built into their software.
Backup.

Michael

I was wondering the same thing... Approaches are one thing (they really can help with situational awareness) but what does WAAS offer in a handheld?

Troy Whistman said:
This is VERY cool:

Very, very drool. Um, cool.

Now I have a dilemma.

I first lusted after the 295. Then they came out with the 196 and it was pretty much a no-brainer that they'd upgrade the 295 with the panel page and other niceties found on the 196 and call it the 296. So I waited. Then the 296 came out and had terrain too. I wanted one. But I also saw an AirGator around the same time and I wanted it all in the same box.

Note that we did discuss this (296 + XM WX) on the AOPA board a year or more ago and at least one member did contact Garmin with that suggestion. So maybe the board has created its first product? :yes:

Anyway, back to the dilemma. Now I can have it all in the same box. What should I wait for now? This is one super-cool gadget. I must have one.

Okay, I can think of two things I can wait for:

1) A price tag that's not larger than the new laptop that I really should be buying.

2) Better ground-pounding capability. I currently own a Garmin Street Pilot 2620 which has a built-in hard drive which stores street-level maps and databases of services, attractions, etc. for the entire US and Canada. This is an essential capability for me. Garmin does make models that use CompactFlash cards, and you can theoretically load all of the data onto a CF card of sufficient size as well. Unfortunately, they're still using Garmin cards for the street data on this unit and last I checked the largest Garmin card available was 256MB. The one included with the auto kit is 128MB.

If I could get everything in #2 for $2000 or less, I'd buy one. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

why not get the fine folks here at POA to get us a discount? if we can promise x number of units sold....?

flyingcheesehead said:
Very, very drool. Um, cool.

Now I have a dilemma.

I first lusted after the 295. Then they came out with the 196 and it was pretty much a no-brainer that they'd upgrade the 295 with the panel page and other niceties found on the 196 and call it the 296. So I waited. Then the 296 came out and had terrain too. I wanted one. But I also saw an AirGator around the same time and I wanted it all in the same box.

It's the same as with PCs. You've already saved thousands of dollars by not buying and the one you don't buy today is much more capable and powerful than what you would have had you bought before. The longer you hang on and don't buy the better the one you don't buy will be. :goofy:

The big difference is with computers and TVs the longer you wait the more price drops. Not with Garmin. You only get to not buy later with inflated dollars. :rolleyes:

In my wild and woolly days immediately post PPL and with a plane to outfit I bought every gadget in sight. My 295 that I paid $1250 then for still works. I WILL hold tight for another year or two until the 396 has enough software releases and circuit reworks to be reliable and resellers are giving a few bucks more off of the list price.

Anthony said:

I would think the main advantage for the WAAS is to give them a better altitude accuracy which is very important because they use that information for the terrain warning system.

I think this is the perfect upgrade for the pilot with one 430/530 in the plane. It gives them a good backup/terrain/weather capability.

Anthony said:
I like it. This is THE answer. I was going to get a PDA and Anywhere Map, but this is a simpler solution with less cords goine everywhere. Terrain and weather. Nice.
I don't see it as necessarily simpler. The AnywhereMap uses Bluetooth (wireless) for the XM antenna and the GPS antenna, although you can cable them for power. The Garmin doesn't have Bluetooth, so you have a cable running to the XM box and to the antenna, unless you happen to get good reception with the antenna mounted to the unit. AnywhereMap has terrain, too, and nice features like descent planning.

The operation of the Garmin would be more idiot-proof than a PDA. But why the heck does Garmin insist on making the screens horizontal? Anyone flying sideways very often?

Frankly, I don't see this as the answer, much as I'd like to find said answer myself.

Ken Ibold said:
The Garmin doesn't have Bluetooth, so you have a cable running to the XM box and to the antenna

Ken,

Are you saying there's a separate XM receiver box? I was under the impression that it was all in the same box, especially since there's a combined XM/GPS antenna. If that's the case, you have one cord for power and one for the antenna, which beats the heck out of the AirGator.

Not sure I like the idea of Bluetooth in the cockpit either...

Kent

flyingcheesehead said:
Ken,

Are you saying there's a separate XM receiver box? I was under the impression that it was all in the same box, especially since there's a combined XM/GPS antenna. If that's the case, you have one cord for power and one for the antenna, which beats the heck out of the AirGator.

Not sure I like the idea of Bluetooth in the cockpit either...

Kent
The antenna is not a combined antenna. I haven't seen Garmin's antenna, but in other applications (eg AnywhereMap) the XM antenna/processor is a box 3 inches square and 2 inches deep. If you look on the Garmin web site, it says the GXM 30 Smart Antenna is included. This would be the XM box. Then it mentions a GA 26C remote antenna. This would be the GPS antenna.

Ken Ibold said:
The antenna is not a combined antenna. I haven't seen Garmin's antenna, but in other applications (eg AnywhereMap) the XM antenna/processor is a box 3 inches square and 2 inches deep. If you look on the Garmin web site, it says the GXM 30 Smart Antenna is included. This would be the XM box. Then it mentions a GA 26C remote antenna. This would be the GPS antenna.

They show the separate XM antenna/receiver on their website now:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP396_GXM30OwnersManual.pdf

It's a fairly small round hockey puck thing with a USB cable to the GPS unit.

Well, thats kinda jacked. I hoped it was all one unit! Does that mean that sometime (with a software upgrade) my 296 will do XM WX?

sshekels said:
Well, thats kinda jacked. I hoped it was all one unit! Does that mean that sometime (with a software upgrade) my 296 will do XM WX?

My guess is no. Garmin has been fairly reluctant to upgrade one model to compete with a newer one in the past. I don't think it's likely they'll change course on this. Besides, does your 296 have a USB port?

yes, it has usb. It appears identical, just lacking the software pages and the "audio out jack" for the XM audio.

It would be interesting to hack the usb protocol and see what is exchanged between the 396 and the XM module...

The Wx weather maps take up a LOT of memory. I'd guess that the older unit has nowhere near enough memory to operate XM weather.

I'm also curious: If it attaches via USB, but has an audio out on the GPS itself, there must be some A-D stuff in the GPS. I wonder how much is done in the antenna, and what is doen in the GPS? Is the XM radio ID in the GPS itself or the antenna? How much is a new antenna?

It would be nice to install it in the plane and not worry about moving it to the car, etc, but I wonder about the cost....

S.

sshekels said:
I'm also curious: If it attaches via USB, but has an audio out on the GPS itself, there must be some A-D stuff in the GPS. I wonder how much is done in the antenna, and what is doen in the GPS? Is the XM radio ID in the GPS itself or the antenna? How much is a new antenna?

From what I read, it looks like the XM "antenna" receives and decodes the weather data and it's very likely that the ID is in the "antenna".

Michael said:
I think Im going to buy this unit. I will sell you my EKPIV if you would like to make a deal?

Michael
Doh! Totally missed this post. Like two weeks ago (was working crazy hours right around then). I've just ordered my long awaited ANR headset :goofy: (David Clark H10-13X) and that kills my non flying aviation budget for the moment.

If you've not moved the unit when you go for the new one (if not already) hit me again and if able, we'll talk. If not, hey, maybe POA should consider a classified section. :rolleyes:

lancefisher said:
From what I read, it looks like the XM "antenna" receives and decodes the weather data and it's very likely that the ID is in the "antenna".

Hmm. So they send the audio via digital (usb) and do D-A conversion in the Garmin? Wonder why? It would seem odd to not have that in the "hockey puck" part.

After some serious thought, I am headed to OSH on Monday to see one, and maybe pick one up. If I do, I'll let you know what I find....

S.

Couple guys on the Bonanza net have the 396s already. There is an XM antenna according to them and it has magnets in it!! Evidently, Garmin wasn't thinking about magnets near the mag compass!! They have already opened the back (which is glued not screwed in) and removed the magnets.

Just a messenger. Will be interesting to see what you find.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Michael said:
why not get the fine folks here at POA to get us a discount? if we can promise x number of units sold....?

While probably unlikely given the demand, has anyone followed through on this and asked Sporty's about a volume discount?

sshekels said:
It would be interesting to hack the usb protocol and see what is exchanged between the 396 and the XM module...

Garmin's website has a number of technical manuals. I was able to download the interface document for my GPS III, possibly they have similar available for your purposes.

Len

Back