Garmin 396 for $500???

NC Pilot said:
SCAM. Don't buy.

To prove it, I'll pretend to buy it. Will post the emails I'm bound to get in a bit...

Edit: No response yet... but I've seen a number of these. They'll claim that they have an overstock in their electronics shop in some random EU country like Romania, and say that the databases are the American ones, and they'll sell it to you brand new for 500$, but it must be sent money order.

If anything, it's fun to mess with their heads by pretending to go along with it, then just wasting their time. Better that they're wasting time with you than scamming someone else...

Last edited:
Must be a scam, the ad has been pulled by E-bay.

Bill Jennings said:
Must be a scam, the ad has been pulled by E-bay.

I reported it right after I emailed the scammer... also provides good conversation because the scammer will claim that they removed the auction because you were the lucky first person to contact them. :rolleyes:

He bit:

From: thank you <tekradeal@googlemail.com>Mailed-By: googlemail.comTo: William Barnhill <xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com>
Date: Jun 28, 2006 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: Garmin 396 GPS
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Delete this message | Report phishing | Show original | Message text garbled?
HI THERE SIR ,
My items are brand new, unopened box all accessories included and also
an international warranty.
My price is the best you could get $500 USDincluding the shipping and
insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package
will be delivered from Europe. As delivery service we use UPS NEXT DAY
air service (with insurance and 15 days return policy),
because it's the faster. And if you will have a quick payment, we must
also have a quick delivery. So that's why we
use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest way
of sending money.I am legit with
ebay also i have insurance in case something happens you will get full
refounds from ebay.( i have a buyer protection )
So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure that we can close the deal as
soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST

I asked how long it would take, where to send the money, and if I could paypal... and we have a winner!

From: thank you <tekradeal@googlemail.com>Mailed-By: googlemail.comTo: William Barnhill <xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com>
Date: Jun 28, 2006 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: Garmin 396 GPS
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Delete this message | Report phishing | Show original | Message text garbled?
Sir yes this will come with America Database and you will receive the
item after 2 days from the moment when the payment is made only via
Western union money transfer because is only way to pay me
To arrange the transfer you will have to go in person at a western
union office with the amount. There you will have to fill up a form in
which you will have to write:
- your name and address
- the amount
- my info which is: First name: Mutu
Last name: Bogdan
Address: Str. Capitan Nicolae Licaret Nr 6
City: Bucharest
ZIP: 031643
After sending the money you will receive a MTCN (Money transfer control
number). I will need this number and also the senders name to check on
www.westernunion.com.
Remember to send the money as to a friend to avoid paying extra taxes
as I will also ship you the item as a gift to do the same thing.

And now I'll tell him some bs story about forwarding all this to the FBI or blah blah blah to get him to stop emailing me, and thus concludes Scammers 101 for today.

Yeah, these guys have been on there for months. What we need is someone to take a trip to Romania to show up at their door. :)

AirBaker said:
Yeah, these guys have been on there for months. What we need is someone to take a trip to Romania to show up at their door. :)

It's just turning into another Nigerian scam, except the people willingly make payments.

Don't know what kind of security Western Union has on picking up money transfers, nor how easy it is to forge an ID in Romania. Eh. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
William -- nice work there. I bet he thought he had a live one.

I'm always tempted to play that game, but I'm afraid they'll send a virus or screw with my system somehow. I have firewalls and virus protection out the wazoo, but once you start talking Eastern Europe -- well, that's the new Wild West. It's scary how much info a hacker can get from just an email or internet connection. Some days I feel like smashing in the head of one of those hacker SOB's with a lead pipe for all the aggravation they cause.

flyersfan31 said:
William -- nice work there. I bet he thought he had a live one.

I'm always tempted to play that game, but I'm afraid they'll send a virus or screw with my system somehow. I have firewalls and virus protection out the wazoo, but once you start talking Eastern Europe -- well, that's the new Wild West. It's scary how much info a hacker can get from just an email or internet connection. Some days I feel like smashing in the head of one of those hacker SOB's with a lead pipe for all the aggravation they cause.
Well there are hackers and plain crooks. What we have a hard time understanding is cultures that have no regard whatsoever for moral behaviour.

Listening the radio last night the consumer reporter was talking about the movers who hold people up for $1000 cash to get their stuff back. When she asked the cop how they sleep at niht after watching soem elderly woman cry, he said they sleep just fine. They feel that if you're gonna be stupid enough to let them steal it's your problem.

The Nigerians celebrate these guys. It's full time job learning what works in seperating rich americans from money. They think it's what to do and are honored for sucess at it. They have a popular song on the radio litterally tiitled, "I eat your money."

It happens here, too. Take a gander at this saga:
http://www.evanwashere.com/StolenSidekick

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Too good to be true - so it must me. FWIW, it looks like he has flooded Ebay with more of these. Must of made him mad now.

Good.

mikea said:
Listening the radio last night the consumer reporter was talking about the movers who hold people up for $1000 cash to get their stuff back.
When we moved to Orlando on a company-paid move, the movers gave us an estimate of $11,000 plus change to move us, to which the company agreed. When they showed up at our house, they refused to unlock the truck unless we gave them an additional $7,000 because "that earlier number was just an estimate and you had more stuff than we estimated." The balance had to be paid in cash. On the spot. Daily expenses to accrue if there was any delay.

The moving expenses were being paid by one of Florida's biggest law firms. We told the movers, "not our problem, call the firm." They were unloading within 20 minutes.

This kind of ransom is now illegal in Florida.

Ken Ibold said:
When we moved to Orlando on a company-paid move, the movers gave us an estimate of $11,000 plus change to move us, to which the company agreed. When they showed up at our house, they refused to unlock the truck unless we gave them an additional $7,000 because "that earlier number was just an estimate and you had more stuff than we estimated." The balance had to be paid in cash. On the spot. Daily expenses to accrue if there was any delay.

The moving expenses were being paid by one of Florida's biggest law firms. We told the movers, "not our problem, call the firm." They were unloading within 20 minutes.

Awesome. I suppose this is another good reason to not have the movers move your firearms. :)

Ken Ibold said:

She was specifically talking about Florida where she came from. She said the movers often have mob ties and were routinely soaking the elderly who were moving to Florida.

wbarnhill said:
I asked how long it would take, where to send the money, and if I could paypal... and we have a winner!

And now I'll tell him some bs story about forwarding all this to the FBI or blah blah blah to get him to stop emailing me, and thus concludes Scammers 101 for today.

Be sure and run a virus scan on your computer now. These scammers use stolen ebay accounts to list their items. I did the same thing as you and emailed one of these guys to BUST him. I was the one that got busted, even with all the protection I have on my computer, he got my ebay account info and listed a bunch of stuff using my account. I had to open a new ebay account and change my passwords on email and different accounts.

Dean said:
Be sure and run a virus scan on your computer now. These scammers use stolen ebay accounts to list their items. I did the same thing as you and emailed one of these guys to BUST him. I was the one that got busted, even with all the protection I have on my computer, he got my ebay account info and listed a bunch of stuff using my account. I had to open a new ebay account and change my passwords on email and different accounts.
You probably got an ebay login prompt that wasn't from ebay.

Dean said:

He never knew my ebay id since I just directly emailed him. :)

I'm real cautious when dealing with these guys... especially anytime anyone sends me an email purporting to be from some company.

Back