Garmin 396/496 XM WX on the Road

jdwatson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JDW
Greetings !
I'm curious, if one using the 396/496 in "Car" mode do you still get all the nifty weather overlays & etc ?

That's good. I looked at Garmin's website and there seemed to be 3 subscription plans that overlapped stuff. Knowing how subscriptions sometimes work, I feared you needed all three to get the same class of service in all three realms.

Can I presume the same applies to the XM Radio portion as well ?

Garmin's XM compatibility chart shows that none of the Aviation products cannot receive highway traffic reports. I wonder why.

Last edited:
Not in car mode, but it's fun putting it in aviation mode in the car. It's constantly telling you to "Pull up. PULL UP. PULL UP!!" in ever increasing urgency!

The other thing that happens on my 295: if you fly with it in land mode it keeps jumping the location cursor from road to road trying figure out which one you're on. :D

You know, you'd think that it would be smart enough to automatically switch between modes!
If HAGL > 5 or you're on the taxiway diagram then aviation mode
elseif you're on water and not within 50' of a road then marine mode
else auto mode

You know, you'd think that it would be smart enough to automatically switch between modes!
If HAGL > 5 or you're on the taxiway diagram then aviation mode
elseif you're on water and not within 50' of a road then marine mode
else auto mode
Not that simple. The tolerances of GPS altitude combined with the imperfections of their MSL database would make this annoyingly worthless.

Not that simple. The tolerances of GPS altitude combined with the imperfections of their MSL database would make this annoyingly worthless.
Well obviously there would need to be some tweaking involved! That's why you programmers get the big bucks! :D

Back