Garmin 295 GPS

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Anybody know anything about these? Are they still supported by Garmin? Software updates? Data Base updates? Costs?

Is $300 a good price for a used one?

Let me have it. :D

Anybody know anything about these? Are they still supported by Garmin? Software updates? Data Base updates? Costs?

Is $300 a good price for a used one?

Let me have it. :D

Kate and I still use ours.

Yes, you can get database updates. $35 and a few minutes at many vendors at Oshkosh.

It's not much use on the ground. For ground use you can buy a new Nuvi for $200 with voice and turn-by-turn etc anyway.

I am soon to have a KLN90B, antenna and swtich for sale. Gonna be asking not much more than what you are paying for that 295.......Just saying.

Follow up. I currently use Anywhere Moving Map on my PDA. I am mostly satisfied with that setup. Database and software updates for it are $115 a year. Keep doing that or go with the 295?

Follow up. I currently use Anywhere Moving Map on my PDA. I am mostly satisfied with that setup. Database and software updates for it are $115 a year. Keep doing that or go with the 295?

I pay the occasional $35 for 56 day database updates approximately when I feel like it which is once a year or less.

I am soon to have a KLN90B, antenna and swtich for sale. Gonna be asking not much more than what you are paying for that 295.......Just saying.

Problem is, the initial purchase price is just the tip of a very large iceberg. Installation might not be too bad, but then if I wanted to get it IFR certified, that iceberg gets pretty big in a hurry.

Plus, I think that GPS is pretty limited as far as displays go.

Problem is, the initial purchase price is just the tip of a very large iceberg. Installation might not be too bad, but then if I wanted to get it IFR certified, that iceberg gets pretty big in a hurry.

Plus, I think that GPS is pretty limited as far as displays go.
BUT.... You can't IFR certify a portable. As to getting an installed GPS IFR certified (optional also), I think a local radio shop would only cost you about $300 which is for two years.

BUT.... You can't IFR certify a portable.
True.

But it depends on what you are trying to get out of the GPS. If it's bare IFR legality, you go with an old 90b. If it's extended functionality, usefulness and true situational awareness, you go with the Garmin handheld.

Greg...

With GPS, the definition of "still supported" generally comes down to "can I get database updates for it." As data sophistication (and size) has increased throuhg the years, at some point (whether intentionlly or not) the older handheld simply can't use the new database format or size or whatever.

Is the 295 still supported?

It's listed as a "discontinued" product on the Garmin website: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=169

But database updates are still available: http://shop.garmin.com/aviation/databases/ To check, follow the flow for a few pages. To see an example of one where there are no longer current databases available, try the 95XL.

Buying one now, the question is how long before you get to the no longer available level and I have no clue on that one.

Back