Garmin 175 GPS LOI issue?

jmarine225

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jmarine225
I have a Piper Cherokee, in which I recently installed a Garmin 175 GPS. Since the install, on a regular basis while flying the aircraft, I receive a LOI on the screen. After returning and trouble shooting at the Garmin installer, it appears to have some sort of interference from my dual Narco radios installed in the aircraft. Filters were placed on the radios, yet it's still an issue, but not as bad. He stated he was contacting Garmin in regards to this issue. Anyone have a similar situation and a fix for this?

I have a Piper Cherokee, in which I recently installed a Garmin 175 GPS. Since the install, on a regular basis while flying the aircraft, I receive a LOI on the screen. After returning and trouble shooting at the Garmin installer, it appears to have some sort of interference from my dual Narco radios installed in the aircraft. Filters were placed on the radios, yet it's still an issue, but not as bad. He stated he was contacting Garmin in regards to this issue. Anyone have a similar situation and a fix for this?
remove the elt and try it again. part of the install is to test the unit using different freqs on the radio and checking the reception. if you have an old 121.5 elt they are know to cause problems with gps units, they reflect the VHF transmittion of the radios and radiate it out of the elt antenna. my ack in my warrior played hell with my garmin 335 until we put notch filters on the elt.

I heard from a friend that this happened to him. He replaced the old radios with a Garmin GTR 225, and all was good.

Back