Garmin 155xl with a KMD150 and a few more questions

k9medic

Line Up and Wait
N Central FL and GTC Bahamas when off work
Display Name

Display name:
ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
On another thread, I discussed the fact that my newly acquired aircraft has a KMD150. Initially it had a memory battery issue and a NO FIX POSSIBLE issue.

After some internet magic, the battery issue is no longer an issue and the mechanic will be installing a new GPS antenna tomorrow so I'm back in business. I also just purchased a complete Garmin 155xl TSO to install.

Here are some questions that I am coming up against with the 155xl and some other items-
1. If I buy the annunciation panel then the 155xl can be used for non precision approaches. Without it I'm limited to enroute and terminal correct?

2. Should I run the kmd150 as a separate stand alone GPS or should I run/ is there a benefit of running the 155xl output signal through it to display on the kmd150?

3. The autopilot is linked to the kmd150. Would it make sense to move it over to the 155xl instead?

4. I have a Narco 890 DME. Is there any value of keeping it or for that matter any resale value?

I don't know the answers to your questions. But when I was considering installation of a 155 or 300xl, I found lots on the internet talking about using a simply dpdt and mom switch, plus some lights, AS LONG AS YOU AREN'T SWITCHING YOUR CDI. TThe 12v annunciators cost almost as much as the 155/300 unit. The installation manual shows what is needed.

Back