Gardening Questions

Bryan worked from home today, and I came home to this. Should I be concerned?

99993569527.jpg

Sometimes I think POA needs a like button. The scromatoes made me laugh!

I decided to try my hand at gardening this year. I picked my first red tomato the other day and my banana peppers are coming in nicely. I'm so happy I didn't kill my plants! Having a fair amount of rain sucks with mosquitoes but sure helps the gardens.

Sometimes I think POA needs a like button. The scromatoes made me laugh!

I'm glad. I am not ashamed to admit my only goal in life (aside from raising good kids) is to make some people laugh even if it means resorting to shoving testicle shaped tomatoes into a cucumber I cut up to look like a shark.

^that is a sentence that has never before been written :)

So Tango Whiskey and I did a "Farmer's swap" a couple months ago.
I gave him some peppers and he gave me these "Roasted Hatch Chili peppers"

How do you go about roasting chili peppers? These things were amazing.
I made salsa from them and I came to the realization tonight that have 1 jar left.

I don't know the difference between chili and hatch chili but I think the dominating factor was how they were roasted.

How does one go about roasting peppers? I have grilled peppers for salsa before but nothing came close to these.

I am a major salsa junkie but adding the RHCP was a game changer and I wish to recreate it on my own if possible.

Any other salsaphiles know a good way to roast peppers?

Thanks.

Seven minutes at 450* - basically high heat and roast until the skin blisters. Of course the sekret is to use the correct pepper...and ya can't get them until next year.

Last edited:
Seven minutes at 450* - basically high heat and roast until the skin blisters. Of course the sekret is to use the correct pepper...and ya can't get them until next year.

So just in a normal oven? No special woodchips in a smoker or anything unusual?

I can wait until next year. I just grew 8 types of peppers this year and until I was given those I wasn't aware how good salsa I could make given the right pepper. They were the perfect mix of flavor and heat. Mostly the flavor though...

I can wait until next year. I just grew 8 types of peppers this year and until I was given those I wasn't aware how good salsa I could make given the right pepper. They were the perfect mix of flavor and heat. Mostly the flavor though...

No smoke, the street corner vendors around here just fire up big propane grills and go to town. Buy 10 pounds or so and freeze what you don't use right away.

Add smoke and you're in the chipotle world. Lots of good flavors to chase there also.

Nope. No smoke. I usually cover them in olive oil and then put them a cookie sheet and into the hot oven until the skin blisters on them pretty good. Take them out and put them in a heat-resistant bowl and cover with a lid or plastic wrap and the steam will help the skin pull away from the peppers better.

This is the technique I use for homemade Chili Rellenos with Poblanos from our garden this year - we're going to plant twice to three times the number of Poblano plants next year. :)

Off to a good start.
Corn, Green Beans, Snow peas, Okra, Basil, Tomatoes, Squash, Bell Peppers, and Jalapeno Peppers.

attachment.php

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 67
The Hatch chili crop is hitting the market now, get'em while ya can...

Our garden sucked this year. About the time we got stuff planted, I started travelling a ton for work, and we seemed to have something planned every weekend that I was home. What wasn't eaten by rabbits or deer was quickly overrun with weeds.

My granddad would kick my butt if he saw the mess I made. :(

Back