Garden tractors...opinions?

I forgot to mention that we have a 7' mower that we pull behind the old JD 420 with turf tires, that will hopefully be back home this summer. We still need a garden tractor that will serve as a back up to the 420 with mower, and also be the primary mower for the next month or two.

Thanks for the info about the EAA discount! I wasn't aware of that! Just enrolled and found out that we can save $200 on the X320 that we looked at today. :)

I wish I had a side cutter/ pull behind to help shave off a few minutes, but my property is just not big enough, nor set up right, to take advantage.

Glad to help on the Partner Program. I think it is great.

If you're going to be pulling a roller of any size at all, be sure to ask if the x320 has a serviceable tuff torque transaxle. Some of them aren't, and the warranty is only 300 hrs on that mower.
Honestly, if I were mowing 8 acres once a week, I'd want more machine than that for the money.

I agree, the X320 seems small to pull a 7' mower over 8 acres. Can you go up to a larger size?

Diana, one more thing, the guys who work at the factory often buy a new machine every year or two (at their discount) and then put the old one for sale by the side of the road. I think I saw a couple of 700 series units out recently. Would you like me to take some pics and get some phone numbers for you?

I agree, the X320 seems small to pull a 7' mower over 8 acres. Can you go up to a larger size?

I'm attaching photos of the old JD 420 and the mower. The only thing that we'll pull the 7' mower with is the 420...we just hope it won't take too long to fix. It already has turf tires and we really love that old tractor. BTW, that is Joe Areeda mowing in the photos. He stops by to see us often as he is flying across the country. If he stays longer than 2 days we put him to work. :D

Also attached is a photo of the 4WD Ford tractor. You can see from the photo that the tires are too knobby for the runway. We thought about putting turf tires on that Ford tractor, but then we would have to be switching the brush hog and the mower back and forth on the back of it, and I really don't want to have to do that. Besides it might not get as good traction if we put turf tires on it. That tractor shoves a LOT of stuff around here...including shoving the old JD up into a trailer.

Diana, one more thing, the guys who work at the factory often buy a new machine every year or two (at their discount) and then put the old one for sale by the side of the road. I think I saw a couple of 700 series units out recently. Would you like me to take some pics and get some phone numbers for you?
Thanks for the offer. :) The logistics of getting it here would be more than we want to deal with right now. The local JD dealer is bringing out a X320 today, as well as one of their Zturns so we can try them out.

We have two rollers. The concrete roller we pull with either the big truck or the JD 420. The smaller vinyl roller is filled with water and the garden tractors can pull that while mowing at the same time.

Attachments

• JD 420 and mower 2 (1402 x 1064).jpg
    JD 420 and mower 2 (1402 x 1064).jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 29
  • JD 420 and mower (1402 x 1063).jpg
    JD 420 and mower (1402 x 1063).jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Ford tractor (1200 x 900).jpg
    Ford tractor (1200 x 900).jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 31
I misunderstood what that mower was. I did not think it was a big PTO driven deck. So you're looking at a smaller lawn tractor to replace that? Or are you looking for a smaller tractor for other uses?

One more idea. For less than money you'll spend on a lawn tractor, you could find a newly restored, freshly painted Ford 8n or Ferguson TO 20 with turf tires. Both are common as dirt, parts readily available, easy to drive and you'd have a real tractor to pull a bushhog, finish mower or other equipment you've got on the place. It's small and easy to handle, and will last forever if you change the oil regularly, and you'll get every dime back if you ever go to sell it. Plus, it's got character.

It's the real farmer's version of a lawn tractor.

I'm attaching photos of the old JD 420 and the mower. The only thing that we'll pull the 7' mower with is the 420...we just hope it won't take too long to fix. It already has turf tires and we really love that old tractor. BTW, that is Joe Areeda mowing in the photos. He stops by to see us often as he is flying across the country. If he stays longer than 2 days we put him to work. :D

Also attached is a photo of the 4WD Ford tractor. You can see from the photo that the tires are too knobby for the runway. We thought about putting turf tires on that Ford tractor, but then we would have to be switching the brush hog and the mower back and forth on the back of it, and I really don't want to have to do that. Besides it might not get as good traction if we put turf tires on it. That tractor shoves a LOT of stuff around here...including shoving the old JD up into a trailer. Oh, turf tires will get all the traction you need. Really good when it gets boggy with snow chains and low range as you can let the pressure down low.

Thanks for the offer. :) The logistics of getting it here would be more than we want to deal with right now. The local JD dealer is bringing out a X320 today, as well as one of their Zturns so we can try them out.

We have two rollers. The concrete roller we pull with either the big truck or the JD 420. The smaller vinyl roller is filled with water and the garden tractors can pull that while mowing at the same time.

Get a quick hitch, they were a Godsend to me, no work at all, everything that required more than a few pounds of force was done by the three point. Most I do is flip a latch and slip on a shaft. If you alternate applications of LPS3 and Dry Graphite Spray you can build up a slick rust proof surface in both sides that keeps everything easy to slide on and off. A good system isn't cheap, but it's not near that of another dedicated machine. I think your Ford with turf tires and a good quick, drive in, drive out hitch would be a good value for you.

Last edited:

Also attached is a photo of the 4WD Ford tractor. You can see from the photo that the tires are too knobby for the runway. We thought about putting turf tires on that Ford tractor, but then we would have to be switching the brush hog and the mower back and forth on the back of it, and I really don't want to have to do that. Besides it might not get as good traction if we put turf tires on it. That tractor shoves a LOT of stuff around here...including shoving the old JD up into a trailer.

I would still opt for a zero turn. For something as the primary mower, you cannot beat it.

I would still opt for a zero turn. For something as the primary mower, you cannot beat it.

I've never owned one, but took a test drive on a JD once and found it a big improvement over my old Toro riding mower. If I could afford it I'd consider one of these: http://www.dixiechopper.com/mowers/magnum

I know a guy who runs a gardening business - and he has a couple of these:http://ventrac.com/products/tractors/4000

Professional grade - and priced accordingly.

Dave

I just get whatever one my wife thinks she will most enjoy driving. The way I see it, if it is good enough weather to do yard work you should be flying!!!!

(snip) Ford 8n or Ferguson TO 20 with turf tires. Both are common as dirt, parts readily available, easy to drive and you'd have a real tractor (snip)

I gotta say...

I've never heard "Ford 8N" and "real tractor" used in the same sentence before. Allis WD? No. WD-45? maybe. Massey 65? Maybe. Ford 4200? Getting closer.

Use an 8N for finish mowing? Maybe. Bush hogging? Never, because you sit way too low. Not without a vertical screen/guard made with expanded metal and mounted behind the seat to keep the shrapnel from whacking me up-side-the-head. And even then you're taking your life in your own hands.

I've always called the 8N "the piper cub of tractors" (and made that very comment...to Pete, I believe...when I saw one for sale at 6Y9 last fall). Cool looking and in high demand and thus overpriced but marginally useful at best.

Last edited:
I gotta say...

I've never heard "Ford 8N" and "real tractor" used in the same sentence before. Allis WD? No. WD-45? maybe. Massey 65? Maybe. Ford 4200? Getting closer.

Use an 8N for finish mowing? Maybe. Bush hogging? Never, because you sit way too low. Not without a vertical screen/guard made with expanded metal and mounted behind the seat to keep the shrapnel from whacking me up-side-the-head. And even then you're taking your life in your own hands.

I've always called the 8N "the piper cub of tractors" (and made that very comment...to Pete, I believe...when I saw one for sale at 6Y9 last fall). Cool looking and in high demand and thus overpriced but marginally useful at best.
I'd have to agree with this. 8N's are great little machines, but are better suited for york rake work, or rototilling...maybe rake some hay. The smallest bush hogger IMO would be a IH784, but I have seen a 574 run our 8 foot bush hog just fine.
For maintaining her airfield, one or two medium tractors (such as what she already owns, one with a front end loader) to handle the big stuff and a dedicated mower to maintain the grass seems efficient to me. YMMV.

If you can find a Power King tractor you can't go wrong. I have a Koehler 20 HP gasoline badged as a Snapper MGT2000 with a 60" belly mower and it runs like a scalded dog. Has about 1k hours on it and all it has had is routine maintenance.

I gotta say...

At $2,500-3k fully restored, a darn sight more useful than on of those $4k lawn tractors to cut 8 acres. It'd have no problem with that finish mower that JD is pulling in the photo. I wouldn't want to pull a baler with one, but a 6' finish mower, or a belly mower, or yes, even a bushhog if I knew all I was mowing was an overgrown meadow. No, I wouldn't want to reclaim pasture with it. But a tedder, or a rake, or schlep around empty hay wagons, or use an auger for post holes...if there's not too many rocks, it's a pretty handy little "real" tractor. A lawn tractor is single use, and compared to a zero turn machine, is poor even at that.
And it's not bad on gas, either.

Last edited:
I gotta say...

I agree with what you say in principle, as a working tractor to get the job done, it's sub optimal all around. For the job you really want a FWA tractor on turf tires, the 70hp Kubota with a cab would probably be the best tractor for the job to buy new. Can put it to work making money in the winter doing snow removal as well. However, there is an exception, the pottering dude who like it. It's a great value to him and will get the job done, sometimes even requiring a stroke of ingenuity to do it.

I agree with what you say in principle, as a working tractor to get the job done, it's sub optimal all around. For the job you really want a FWA tractor on turf tires, the 70hp Kubota with a cab would probably be the best tractor for the job to buy new.

Well, yeah, but that's a $40k tractor. I thought the game here was the most reliability and utility for under $4k.

I have on of those, around the barn. The B6200 with a loader. Great little tractor, but it's a 3cyl diesel. Not the most comfortable seat for long stretches mowing, and on somewhat rough ground, the wheels are kinda small so you feel every bump. 2 speed PTO and dual range transmission. Best with a belly mower. Bullet proof. Bought it used 21 years ago, and have had to do literally nothing to it but regular mx, and I've worked it darn hard. But for primarily a mower...meh.

Well, yeah, but that's a $40k tractor. I thought the game here was the most reliability and utility for under $4k.

Exactly, which is why I said turf tires and a quick hitch for her later model FWA Ford with loader she already owns. Put a canvas cab with Clear 2 Sea Y type windows.

Back