GAMI lean test weirdness: EGT rise LOP?

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
I've done the GAMI lean test twice now this week in my Cardinal, both times at 9000 MSL, OAT 0-3C, WOT 21", 2300 RPM, the only difference being that in between, my mechanic kindly swapped my front and back injectors. Both times I leaned from rich to lean, and found that the various cylinders peaked at the expected indicated fuel flows, with #3 and 4 peaking first and pretty much together, then #1 and #2, with #1 decidedly first on test 1, and pretty much together on test 2. The fuel flow spread between #3 and #2 is between 0.7 and 0.9 gph (#3 has a broad peak), which is about what GAMI says is to be expected on Lycoming engines with factory injectors. The rear cylinders (#3 and #4) run leaner than the front ones, also to be expected.

What was not expected: the first time, I stopped leaning after finding the #2 peak (~7.8 gph), because the engine was running quite rough. The second time the roughness was a little less, so I continued leaning in ~0.2 gph steps. The #2 EGT continued coming down smoothly. However, starting at 7.4 gph, the rear cylinder EGTs began rising again. The rise was most noticeable on #4 between 7.4 and 7.2 gph, when it jumped from ~1340 to about 1370. All CHTs continued to inch down (though they were already quite cool, #4 was about 240).

Any ideas on what this could be due to? My mechanic says he has no clue. Again, I do not know if it would have happened on the first test as I did not continue leaning after determining the #2 peak. Since I have my JPI set to read to the nearest degree, I notice a good deal of wandering and all of my EGT values are really +- 10 degrees, but the reversal of the downward EGT trend on #3 and #4 was greater than that (#1 also showed a slight rise from 7.4 to 7.2 gph as well, but I'd say it was not significant given the wandering).

Model info: 1976 Cardinal RG, IO360A1B6, 200 hp.

The second rise in EGT when way LOP is standard. IIRC it is due to retardation of the flame pattern. The spread is somewhat high and GAMI's would fix that. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

What Charlie said.

Yes, what Charlie said. Your back two jugs got so far LOP that the flame front was slowed sufficiently that it was still burning when the exhaust valves opened, and you got a little bit of combustion in the exhaust. This is why the EGT increases when you get really lean.

I'll add I have a similar engine (IO-360-A3B6D) but get great LOP performance with stock injectors. You might try swapping front to back and checking thoroughly for induction leaks before buying GAMI's. From my anecdotal experience, many IO-360 Lycomings run fine LOP without GAMI's, but not necessarily all of them. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the explanation! Makes sense, if you get burning fuel expelled into the exhaust then of course the EGT will go up. Funny that my guy didn't think of that. Well it was 9am, he probably didn't have his coffee yet. I bet he will say duh! when I fly it past him.

I'll add I have a similar engine (IO-360-A3B6D) but get great LOP performance with stock injectors. You might try swapping front to back and checking thoroughly for induction leaks before buying GAMI's. From my anecdotal experience, many IO-360 Lycomings run fine LOP without GAMI's, but not necessarily all of them. Good luck!
Yes this is what everyone says (except GAMI, of course). But as I said in the OP, the two tests this week were done with front to back swapped, same results except the two front cylinders peak more close together now, and the roughness doesn't really start until peak EGT for the front ones. My A&P has checked several times for induction leaks and ignition issues. Not sure if he got out the shop vac yet, will ask him. But I did the lean test last year, slightly different conditions and less carefully, and found about the same thing. Besides, if the problem were an induction leak, wouldn't you expect ONE cylinder to behave differently, not members of each pair behaving about the same?

Sure, it might be more isolated but if you have two leaks you could get the behavior you describe. ;) Lightly pressurizing the system is easy enough (you could do it yourself) followed by a soapy water spray at each joint will reveal any leaks. A LOP mag check (even slightly LOP) at high power will reveal any ignition system weaknesses. I would complete those tasks and if nothing is found, then it is time to call GAMI and get some new injectors.

Thanks everyone for the explanation! Makes sense, if you get burning fuel expelled into the exhaust then of course the EGT will go up. Funny that my guy didn't think of that. Well it was 9am, he probably didn't have his coffee yet. I bet he will say duh! when I fly it past him.

Yes this is what everyone says (except GAMI, of course). But as I said in the OP, the two tests this week were done with front to back swapped, same results except the two front cylinders peak more close together now, and the roughness doesn't really start until peak EGT for the front ones. My A&P has checked several times for induction leaks and ignition issues. Not sure if he got out the shop vac yet, will ask him. But I did the lean test last year, slightly different conditions and less carefully, and found about the same thing. Besides, if the problem were an induction leak, wouldn't you expect ONE cylinder to behave differently, not members of each pair behaving about the same?

Using a shop vac to pressurize the intake always makes me wonder how much residual dust and dirt is getting blown in.

Using a shop vac to pressurize the intake always makes me wonder how much residual dust and dirt is getting blown in.
None if you're smart enough to use a 'virgin' shop vac for the task.

That would be a really good idea, but how many shops keep a true "virgin" vac around for leak tests?

Raises hand*

Ok it isn't "virgin," in fact it is well used, but only ever for blowing air into intake and exhaust systems. We have another for vacuuming stuff up.

Back