Game suggestions [NA]

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
OK all - I start working graveyard shift at work tomorrow, and my boss says that since we get very slow, I can bring my laptop in and play games on it.

I have an open budget right now for games - anyone have any suggestions for games that will last a long time (at least 10 hours at work, for a few days)?

Pirates, an old Sid Meiers favorite that he has just updated and re-released :) It's an open ended game, you can play it forever if you want.

Another game we liked, though it's somewhat dated, is Sierra's Arcanum

how bout poping in the (insert your preferred vendor here) Instrument Rating DVD :)

I'm not really much on glitzy graphics with no substance but if you're after fun and keeping occupied and can find them:

Empire will easily keep you busy all night.

Starflight can last weeks if you can find a copy. You will need to install dosbox or use a DOS machine.

Tracon is always a good one. 99 planes 99 minutes ready begin. Repeat 4-5 times a night.

D3 if you have a stick but it is kind of annoying though you can set up sessions and shoot at your friends if you have a way to connect computers. Lots of arena's are available online.

Some of my recent plays and old favorites. These are games that I can quite literally play all day when I have one of my coveted, cave-troll days.

Silent Hunters III - WWII U-Boat commander (req 3d graphics card)
Empire Earth II - RTS Empire building strategy
Civilization III - Turn based empire building strategy
Master of Orion II (don't get III, its way overdone) - Turn based 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXamine and eXterminate)
SimCity 4 - city micromanagement
The Sims 2 - micromange the lives of a virtual family

Doom 3 is supposed to be DA BOMB if you play FPS. I don't go for those as much.
NeverWinter Nights - Dungeons and Dragons on the PC. Great campaign and loads of custom content out there
Baldur's Gate Series - a D&D like RPG game (Go for the eyes Boo!!!)

Also, if you can play online games, City of Heroes is a fun, easy to learn, easy to jump in and out of game (you can't pause online games so the penalty for having to leave the game unattended has to be minor and CoH fits that bill)

What style of game do you enjoy? I'm an avid pc gamer and have quite a library.

Also Railroad Tycoon III if you want to run a railroad - great game.

If you can connect the laptop to the internet, Battlefield 2 is a multiplayer FPS that just came out last week. My son bought a copy and got me hooked already.

while I could connect the laptop to the internet, and probably avoid getting caught - it will be a while before I try that. I love the suggestions so far - anyone else got some?

FWIW - I like 1st person shooters, war sims, anything having to do with flight (I do have Flight Simulator installed on my laptop....maybe I'll recreate the flight to Gastons, but in a Ford Trimotor :))

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions.

how about a good book, or, if you have others there with you, a game of canasta/poker/euchre, etc?

Michael said:
how bout poping in the (insert your preferred vendor here) Instrument Rating DVD :)

I may need to invest in an IR DVD....good idea Michael!

fgcarson said:
Tracon is always a good one. 99 planes 99 minutes ready begin. Repeat 4-5 times a night.

What is Tracon? Sounds like fun.

greebo said:
Some of my recent plays and old favorites. ....

I like those suggestions, I'll go see if I can find any of 'em.

woodstock said:
if it gets slow enough to play games, why not bring a pillow and take a nap. ha ha ha

Funny thing is - they don't mind, as long as I can wake up when I get the ding of a call. I don't see myself pushing that one.

I tended to look at 'free' time at work as a bonus for studying for something. I ended up getting two or three certs studying on work time. Improved my position at that company and on my resume.

NickDBrennan said:
What is Tracon? Sounds like fun.

It's what it sounds like. A TRACON simulator for your PC. A tower controller pointed me to it in 1987. It's good enough to give you a vague idea of why the disembodied voice in your headset can get stressed completely out sometimes and why you should cut them slack whenever possible.

Uhhhhh..wait for it...
Here ya go:

Windows version:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Tracon+for+Windows

DOS Versions original and version 2:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4331

It's been a while since I played it so you'll have to experiment a bit to sort out the commands especially on the newer versions (I have V1 including manuals). Mouse is to select planes, move leaders around and select destinations. Numeric keypad for the 8 primary directions and basic commands (contact dep/twr, own navigation, clear to___, fly heading___, etc. Email me via POA PM if you're interested or need help sorting the commands out. (I'm too lazy to fool with it right now)

Start with 5 planes 20 minutes perfect crews and go from there.

FWIW: I've done 99 planes 99 minutes many times and all I can say is that you had better have your act together before trying that. 99/60 just isn't funny in the least, doable, but not funny and you're going to be stacking them real quick :hairraise: because anything else is completely stupid. Anything under 99/45 and you should turn your computer off and go to OKC - there's a job waiting for you.

Back