Gallstones

G

Gall

I have what is probably gallstones. I'm in the process of getting it officially diagnosed, and then I assume surgery to remove the gallbladder if that is indeed what it is.

As far as a 2nd class medical is concerned, is this going to be an issue?

Not really. The surgery is laproscopic - 4 little holes near your belly button. I showed up at 6 am, had the procedure, was evicted at noon. You will need to report on the next AME meeting. If you're an AOPA member (or ALPA) contact the medical office for opinion on how long to let the drugs flush out. The doctor will let you know the results of any biopsy, if needed. Have a letter from your Dr. that the procedure went well, no aftereffects, all is forgiven.

My worst episode happened during Oshkosh...Not fun. A month later, in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Ultrasound, and surgery scheduled for 2 weeks later. Really PO'd because my doctor (no longer practicing, gee, I wonder why?) had diagnosed it as an ulcer for more than 4 years! A simple ultrasound would have saved me many miserable days of agony.

To mitigate the symptoms until surgery go on the ulcer diet - no alcohol, no smoking, low fat foods until the surgery. Be aware that you'll have to watch your fat intake for the rest of your life, since the gall bladder (bile) processes the fat in your system. I'm just careful - if I have my daily pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie I won't have the loaded baked potato with butter and cheese for dinner (no, not really, I limit to a small scoop, perhaps no more than once or twice a week. And small baked potatoes with a reasonable amount of butter & cheese)

Should be a non issue. Afterwards, you’ll probably not be able to eat large quantities of fatty foods. So watch what you eat especially before flying.

Tom

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back