Gallbladder removal 25 years ago -- need to report?

G

Gallbladderguy

Hi all, I'm just getting back into aviation after about 17 years off. Going for my first medical in about 19 years in a few days.

On speaking with a doctor, it was suggested that it may not be worth mentioning removal of gallbladder some 25 years ago, prior to my original physical. However, it occurred to me that I probably did report it at my original exam some 20 years ago, meaning, the FAA probably already knows about it (not sure how long they keep records). Am also concerned that if I don't report and go to another AME later who is more stringent, and asks about what the abdominal scars are, that might be a problem.

It further seems this really shouldn't be a disqualifying issue. So, I'm leaning toward reporting it. I have a note from doc from way back when (though was not needed for prior physical). Not sure if it is worded exactly as the FAA would need to have it worded.

Any thoughts, advice, appreciated!

It's a surgery. And you had a diagnosis that justified the surgery. You must report both for the rest of your life. But if you've already reported it on a prior exam, you can put "Previously Reported, No Change" or PRNC in the comments.

If you're not sure if you reported it or not, it won't hurt to report it again.

"Gallbladder removed (or whatever the medical term for that is), Month/Year, full recovery, no complications". It's a nothing burger. If you still have the letter from the doc, bring it with, but after this much time, it isn't important. The AME will probably not even nod his/her head in reading that part.

I reported a tonsillectomy from 50 years prior. Err on the side of more reporting unless you’re certain you don’t have to.

If nothing else, it demonstrates diligent effort to be forthcoming.

Hi all, I'm just getting back into aviation after about 17 years off. Going for my first medical in about 19 years in a few days.

You might qualify for Basic Med if your most recent medical certificate was valid at any time after July 15, 2006. Sounds like you might be close. If you don’t specifically need a certificate (e.g., employment or foreign travel) then Basic Med will avoid all future annoyances.

Back