Gah!

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
Still trying to calm down. I also have a question to folks who understand this - Dr Bruce are you still here? - at the end. I marked it clearly so you can skip the entertainment in between if you'd like to be kind enough to answer and don't care for the rest.

So my medical expired in August and I didn't receive my reissued one even thought I sent all the usual paperwork back in mid-June. This happened last year, too, and I called and they sent it to me within a couple of days, so I figured here we go again.

I call OK, speaking to someone. To make this easy, their stuff is in italics.

"Sir, we sent you a letter requesting additional information on July 8th. Did you receive it?"

"No. What did it say?"

"We can't tell you over the phone. We'll send it again. Can you confirm your address?"

Sure, of course. Hang up.

A few minutes later this whole thing is bothering me too much so I call again. Explain what's going on and beg for more information. The lady says "OK, let me look into it" - she was very nice, as were all of them really.

"Looks like the medical review team needs more information from you"

"I get that, but can you tell me what? I sent the same paperwork I send every year"

"No, we can't discuss it over the phone until you get the letter"

"Can you email it to me? fax it? something that will be faster then sending it by mail?"

"No. We can't. But it does show that you received it"

"Come again?"

"You signed for it"

"No I didn't"

"Well, sir... there is a signature here. Let me look... the name looks like XXXX XXXX"

:yikes: :mad2: deep breath.

"Alright, yes, I recognize the name. It's my ex-wife. Looks like she signed for it and never gave it to me. Let me get back to you"

Call ex-wife. She's asleep. Her girlfriend (don't ask) answers. I let her know in uncertain terms that I need that letter, pronto. She calls me back five minutes later, it was lying nearby. I ask her to scan and send it to me, which she does. I call OK again.

"Alright, I have the letter. I see what you want, although I'm not sure why exactly. The bigger problem is that the letter says I had 60 days to respond, and those 60 days run out on Friday. Can I get an extension?"

"Send us a letter and we will review it"

"But by the time you get the letter, the 60 days will have expired, and I will lose my medical, which I worked really hard to get as a type 1 diabetic. Surely there is another solution? is there an email address?"

"We don't do email, sir, it's not secure"

"for this sort of thing? what sensitive information is involved? um... OK, do you have a fax?"

"Yes! here are the two numbers, send to both of them so we can make sure we get at least one" (that's a direct quote)

Letter crafted, faxed over.

Logged in to my doctor's portal, drafted a request for the necessary information to be available by the time of my quarterly visit in a couple of weeks.

This morning I call OK again. "Did you get the letter?"

"Yes. We will respond by mail"

"But... do I have the extra time? please? can you at least tell me that?"

Pause.

"Oh... OK. I'm not supposed to do that, but yes, you will have enough time to resubmit"

Sigh of relief. Tears of joy - and frustration. Can the FAA be modernized?

And now to the question

The issue turns out to be that my eye doctor for some reason decided to add notations of my current medications to the annual exam report I get from him. This was different than before, although the medications themselves are the same. For whatever reason, the folks in OK decided this required a re-review of my medications, so they are asking for a whole bunch of info from my endo.

The medications themselves are innocent enough - enalarpril and synthroid, both in preventative doses which are common for type 1's, and like I said, I've been taking them for years and the FAA knows about them.

But I don't understand why they are asking all of a sudden. Is there some change that I should know about in terms of the special issuance process? am I going to suddenly lose my medical even though nothing had changed on my end?

Last edited:
Wonderful.

Does all this imply your wife ran off with another woman?

If you need Bruce to answer he is no longer on POA. You can contact him on the red board.

If you need Bruce to answer he is no longer on POA. You can contact him on the red board.

Or via his website.

In the situation you describe, his counsel could prove valuable.

He said "don't ask" :D But, if the ex signed for the letter, I'd guess she stayed at the house and he got ran off BY the other woman. :D OR, when she realized she couldn't have him, no man was good enough for her and she switched teams, that would be my story! :D

Wonderful.

Does all this imply your wife ran off with another woman?

Lots of drama with a good outcome, except for losing the house to another woman. Wait...... That is a better story than the OPs first post! :dunno: ;). :lol:

Sounds like normal FAA medical BS to me.:dunno:

Wife has a girlfriend. Potential ménage à trois. Problem?

I don't see one.

Even better would be to hire him to handle this situation on your behalf. He seems to work magic with the OK folks.

Yeah, I filled out the inquiry form on his site, thank you guys for the suggestion. I hope he writes back [edit: he just did], I'd love to hire him. I am really panicking here because of this - I have slept maybe 4 hours in the past 72 because of this. It was a lifelong dream for me to get my license, and a massive effort to get my medical, and to lose it because of an idiotic situation like this that has nothing to do whatsoever with my actual medical situation at all, but with paperwork shuffling is completely freaking me out.

The worst of it is that I don't know what they want. Sure, they sent a letter asking for things, but other than a detailed explanation of these two medicines - which they have known about for years and have received information about before and with which they have every year reissued my medical without any questions - what they are asking is what I have been sending every year. So they are basically telling me that I didn't send what I have been sending and they have been approving, which puts me at a complete loss. If I knew what I needed to do I'd do it, but right now it's like I'm facing a black hole. And while they are all very nice on the phone, they patently refuse to discuss anything with substance, they won't answer questions asking for clarification, they just keep saying "read the letter".

EDIT: and yes, I said "don't ask" mostly because *I* needed comic relief, but she is my EX wife, as in I've been divorced for years. She signed the letter because she happened to be there when USPS came, and she has my last name, and then forgot, or more likely didn't care enough, to tell me about it. I've changed my mailing address with the FAA now to go to the UPS store where I have a mailbox so this won't happen again, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:
You will be well-tended by Dr. Chien - no one understands the ins, outs and vicissitudes of the Aeromedical Branch better than Bruce.

Do please report back on your (inevitable, with the right help) success.

Moral of the story: If you're having an issue with your medical and are potentially in danger of losing flying privileges for life, never include a mention of lesbians in your story. All the dudes here will be too distracted to help you out with your real issue.

First, this is why you always make sure the address the FAA has is current. In general, you don't get extensions for legal deadlines if the letter was sent to the address you have on file at the FAA.

Second, Bruce doesn't live here anymore -- you can find him over on the AOPA Forums or via his website http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

Third, the questions you asked are best answered by Bruce -- see above for how to do that.

First, this is why you always make sure the address the FAA has is current. In general, you don't get extensions for legal deadlines if the letter was sent to the address you have on file at the FAA.

I DO live there!

The letter arrived before she left, and she grabbed it? Oy. Like they say, there's no such thing as an "amicable divorce".

Ours is better than most :lol:

I called the FAA again - I think they are sick of me by now - because of your post, and clarified, and they said that they don't care what caused the need for the extension, they will grant it.

I am in communications with Dr Bruce as well in the background. I will beat this!

There's your best bet by far. Let us know how it turns out.

No doubt... when this is resolved I will be here celebrating (hopefully) or planning my last glorious flight VFR into IMC and CFIT.

(that's just a joke - honest - but I will be crushed)

I unfortunately know that sick, sinking feeling in the stomach when faced with FAA medical issues. I think you'll do fine, and Dr. B gave me hope and treated me well through the process.

I unfortunately know that sick, sinking feeling in the stomach when faced with FAA medical issues.

<chuckle> no kidding... I got a letter from CAMI around February and had the "Oh Scheiße!" feeling.

Fortunately, it was a good thing. It was notification that my SI reporting dates were being re-aligned with my current medical expiration dates (original time was May, now it's October).

But still, there was that brief moment of panic... :lol: :yesnod:

<chuckle> no kidding... I got a letter from CAMI around February and had the "Oh Scheiße!" feeling.

Fortunately, it was a good thing. It was notification that my SI reporting dates were being re-aligned with my current medical expiration dates (original time was May, now it's October).

But still, there was that brief moment of panic... :lol: :yesnod:

Yeah, I got that feeling last February. I got a letter from the FAA, opened it and it said I no longer qualified for a special issuance medical certificate. I was informed to return my medical to the noted address. My heart literally went cold.

The letter also explained that I needed to sign my new medical and I was no longer required to be checked for retained kidney stones. I looked in the envelope and there it was, my new non special issuance medical. :)

I gladly signed my new medical and immediately returned my old SI medical.

Update: letter from my doctor hopefully addressing all of the requested information was in my mailbox this evening; just faxed to the folks in OK. Hopefully this will resolve the matter, I'll be following up with them midday tomorrow to make sure they got it.

Quick update:

I just got a letter from OKC telling me I am pre-authorized for a class 3 medical, but I have to see an AME for a flight physical. The letter gives the AME the ability to issue me the medical on the spot (which would not otherwise have been the case).

Thank... goodness! scheduling the appointment ASAP, and I can get over this unpleasant situation.

I also, after all the back-and-forth, have finally unearthed what the actual problem was all along. It's a bit complicated, but here goes.

I finished sending the application for my original medical in June 2010. I listed everything, of course, and this was actually the end of a very long process in order to get me to the stage where I could get a SI medical due to my diabetes.

In July 2010 I did my quarterly bloodwork and visited my endo. They put me on Synthroid for the first time ever due to slightly elevated TSH.

In August 2010 I got my medical.

By the time 2011 rolled around, I completely forgot that I essentially had a new medication that I never told the FAA about, a direct cause of the overlapping timeframes in 2010.

In June 2014 I sent in my paperwork as usual, but this time, my eye doctor decided to list all my current meds. One of them was, of course, Synthroid.

This led the SI team in OKC to flag the application. Correctly, I might add; while I had no idea that Synthroid was a "special" drug, it is on the list of things requiring review.

I wish I fully understood all this earlier on, but once my doctor sent in the summary of my meds and prognosis and such, there was no further problem (except that I need to visit the AME to do the physical, which is no problem, I'm in good shape).

All in all, the folks in OKC were totally right, and I admit to having felt pretty red-faced when I finally figured out what happened earlier today. But all's well that ends well.

And they were kind enough to extend the new issuance by 2 months, resetting the date, so that I still get a full year from it even with the delay that happened this year. So, bonus.

Honestly, they may be bureaucratic, but in the end I think they do a good job. Once I gave them what they wanted and they could ascertain that there wasn't anything else going on, they very quickly turned this around.

Congrats, onwards. Did you get Doc Bruce to help, or did you muscle through OKC yourself?

Both.

I did write to Bruce, and he first challenged me on my statements (good approach, I think, although it can be offputting at first), and then once I reaffirmed them, offered his services by giving me instructions on how to get the FAA to send him the records for review.

By that time, I had already gotten enough information from the OKC folks that I knew what I had to do, so I handled it myself.

However, once I get the new medical in my hand following the AME visit, I intend to hire him to do the review anyway. I'd rather discuss with him everything he might find/see that could be a future problem, something I may have missed like this one, whatever, I don't really know, but for $180, it's a cheap way to gain further peace of mind and more importantly, have him aware of my case if anything happens in the future.

Mission accomplished!

I am in possession of my newly issued class 3 medical.

Now to go flying :)

As an interesting side story, the AME that did the exam was the same one I used initially. Really cool guy. I reminded him how skeptical he was when I first went for it - he essentially said it was impossible.

He was utterly shocked that I was able to obtain a class 3. He kept repeating "it's amazing, it's incredible", and "there can't be too many of you". He said he could scarcely believe it, never saw someone with type 1 and my medical history get it before. It was definitely an interesting perspective coming from an AME.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back