Gadgets

Horus927

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
K
So I know the definitive piece of cockpit gadgetry these days is the ipad and iphone. I've seen their capabilities in action.

But I wonder are there any android users out there? What's available on that platform?

I'm pretty frustrated because I recently made the switch to android, sprint recently adopted iphones (what?????) and while I'm not an apple fan it seems like all the other platforms are worthless for anything more than entertainment.
Does anyone out there know of some redeeming android applications for a pilot?

I tested one or two. They were so horrific that I don't even remember their names. There are ok preflight apps, such as AirWX, but in cockpit, nope.

I simply bought an iPad tomcomplement my Evo 3D.

I have an evo 3d.. I'm kicking myself for it

I can't afford just adding other gadgets... I had one shot at it (for now) and i feel like i wasted it on android..

anyone else?

Android is awesome operating system, much more flexible than iOS. But lack of certain apps is killing me. I know foreflight has an app or two, but not the functionality that you need.

Yeah I hate iOS and that's why I'm pulling my hair out. All this new smartphone and tablet functionality yet all of it is practically worthless to me. Either under developed or too constrictive..

I've combed the market for stuff so I've seen foreflight android but rather than experiment myself I was hoping to hear from others who have already

I'm thinking the best option may be to use my phone as just that, a phone, and wait. Meantime it'll be an old fashioned cockpit for me. Hell I'm flying in a G1000 equipped plane lately anyways

If you're familiar with opensource / FSF, there will likely be some great free aviation gps apps for the Android before too long.

I know of two in the works that are GPL, and I suspect there will be more in the near future as Android is quite an open development platform.

I wrote my own android gps app that functions like the gx-55 in text-only mode, but that's pretty much all I need / want so it probably wouldn't be much use to those seeking a moving map, etc.

I guess if people want to PM me or post what they'd like to see out of an android gps app I can look into what it will take to add-on to my existing one and just post it for free.

This is what I have for my android:

WingX (all AF/Ds, weather, all approach plates, route planning, TFR database, E6B, FAR/AIM, Pilot/Controller Glossary, Aeronautical Contractions, & tail number search) - $100/year
E6B (sporty's version) - $10 (or $5 can't remember)
Open Flight GPS (Sectionals, Low-alt Enroute charts, Terminal charts, & World area charts) - $30/year

Also take a look at this thread: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44675

If you're familiar with opensource / FSF, there will likely be some great free aviation gps apps for the Android before too long.

I know of two in the works that are GPL, and I suspect there will be more in the near future as Android is quite an open development platform.

I wrote my own android gps app that functions like the gx-55 in text-only mode, but that's pretty much all I need / want so it probably wouldn't be much use to those seeking a moving map, etc.

I guess if people want to PM me or post what they'd like to see out of an android gps app I can look into what it will take to add-on to my existing one and just post it for free.

Take a look at GPS Essentials. I keep it running all the time during my solo flights to keep a ground track for my flights. Maybe that app will give you some ideas.

keep the responses coming! this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
And what about logbook? Anything out there that will suit a pilot in training with mind towards a professional future? I'd keep main records on PC, which brings me to another question, any recommendations on PC logbook?
(Of course this is all just to organize and supplement/backup the paper log)

I have AnywhereMap and PocketPlates Pro on a Windows-based machine, and am happy with it. I'll probably go to an iPad at some point, but don't really like them overall.

Hmmm. Currently running:

AirWX*
AreaWx
Aviation Calculations
Aviation Tools Free*
Aviation Weather from NOAA
DuatsLink
Flight Plan Mobile
FlightTools E6B
GPS Essentials*
Naviator*
TakeoffLanding
Wind Computer*
OpenFlightGPS*

Now, I'm not sure that I'm going to keep all of these, but I am evaluating them and recommending some of them to students. Right now, the ones with * by them are keepers for me.

Ryan

Thanks everybody! The responses are great! I've seen all these apps in the market but with android apps you can never be too sure which are solid and which are a joke without some input from other reputable users.
I'm glad to hear real pilots out there are finding android stuff to use. Everyone at school is iOS so no help there.

Just a reminder, also wondering about electronic logbook suggestions for PC and any possible android extensions for it.

Thanks everybody! The responses are great! I've seen all these apps in the market but with android apps you can never be too sure which are solid and which are a joke without some input from other reputable users.
I'm glad to hear real pilots out there are finding android stuff to use. Everyone at school is iOS so no help there.

Just a reminder, also wondering about electronic logbook suggestions for PC and any possible android extensions for it.

My flight book for a logbook for sure. Mobile app for Android rocks. Web based app rocks too.

Naviator is the king of aviation apps for Android

K, there was recently a detailed Android phone thread. I'll find it and post it soon. They discussed aviation apps for the droid.

I checked it out and ther wasn't anything there that hadn't been mentioned here. In fact there's more here I think. Both threads are rather short so I guess that's that for android. I got a few things to try at least!

Hmmm. Currently running:

AirWX*
AreaWx
Aviation Calculations
Aviation Tools Free*
Aviation Weather from NOAA
DuatsLink
Flight Plan Mobile
FlightTools E6B
GPS Essentials*
Naviator*
TakeoffLanding
Wind Computer*
OpenFlightGPS*

Now, I'm not sure that I'm going to keep all of these, but I am evaluating them and recommending some of them to students. Right now, the ones with * by them are keepers for me.

Ryan
Can you go a bit more into detail on what you're using for what?

I looked through all the apps. Seems like a lot of different apps to do the many things that one or two will do on iOS. Also seems like Android versions get the short end of the stick feature wise.

Anyhow I'll start experimenting where I can. Can't really afford to shell out for these subscription type apps without feeling pretty solid about them first. But I think most sday something about trial periods

I'm currently at a bit of a crossroads gadget wise.

We are installing a new EFIS and am looking at "decent" backup systems. iHud for the iPad is an amazing piece of software. I'm hoping the new iPad is on time in March and will pick one up to be used with WingX.

I'm also a little irked that Apple brought out the 4S rather than the 5, as I'm still a 3GS user and want to upgrade but am going to be ticked when I upgrade to the 4S and the 5 comes out 6 months later....

I'm also a little irked that Apple brought out the 4S rather than the 5, as I'm still a 3GS user and want to upgrade but am going to be ticked when I upgrade to the 4S and the 5 comes out 6 months later....

+1 too

Take a closer look and you will find that the iphone 4s is the 5. It is a huge upgrade from the iphone 4.

Right now i use the ipad2 for charts and back it up to the iphone. The plane has an ifr gps with a current data base as well.

I used to consider the iphone n ipad toys for kids, but right now the ipad is a completely capable aviation device that pays for itself in less than a year on paper chart savings alone.
You can fool around with android but at the moment that system comes up short in the aviation world, where reliabilty, battery life and ease of use are paramount. I have gone over to the dark side and am drinking the Apple Kool Aid.

Sent from my iPad

Take a closer look and you will find that the iphone 4s is the 5. It is a huge upgrade from the iphone 4.

Right now i use the ipad2 for charts and back it up to the iphone. The plane has an ifr gps with a current data base as well.

I used to consider the iphone n ipad toys for kids, but right now the ipad is a completely capable aviation device that pays for itself in less than a year on paper chart savings alone.
You can fool around with android but at the moment that system comes up short in the aviation world, where reliabilty, battery life and ease of use are paramount. I have gone over to the dark side and am drinking the Apple Kool Aid.

Sent from my iPad

Yes exactly, except in this universe, Android devices hves a better battery life, are easier to use, and more reliable.

They just don't have a piece of fruit on them. And they're cheaper.

You can fool around with android but at the moment that system comes up short in the aviation world, where having software that does what you're looking for is paramount.

FTFY.

Sent from my iPad

Ok, so in 6 months when the iPhone NXT comes out, I'll be aggravated. ;)

I like the iPhone, I'm just not an iPhone fan boy.

I gave up waiting for the "right" time to buy Apple stuff and just buy it when it's needed.

I should probably hurry up and sell the two AT&T iPhone 4's we aren't using though... Hmm.

What do you want for them? I could very easily be interested in both..

Hadn't thought about it, but I'll make ya a deal since it's PoA after all... Even if you're a crazy RV driver. ;)

I'll PM ya once I'm back from getting a new battery for the Yukon. Cold WX killed it. Some NAPA thing with none of the date markings punched out. Probably ancient though... Came with the truck.

Trying to decide if I'm popping for an Optima or just going boring old regular battery... Had one Optima bulge in me in the Jeep long ago...

Go Optima or go home.. ;)

If you cut me a deal, I'll video an overhead break with the phone just for you!! ;)

Wife and I are ready for new phones, but would like the 5 if they come and don't want to reup our contract with a 4S.

Ahh, I cheaped out, and put a DieHard Gold in it. Someone had downsized it from a 78 to a 75, though... so I remedied that.

If you cut me a deal, I'll video an overhead break with the phone just for you!! ;)

You're on! (GRIN...) See PM.

Wife and I are ready for new phones, but would like the 5 if they come and don't want to reup our contract with a 4S.
[/QUOTE]

Totally understand. We wouldn't have gone to VZ if there was ANY coverage by AT&T at my new office this year, but it's a total dead-zone. Decided I wanted to keep us both on the same carrier, so... now we're on VZ iPhone 4's for a good long while...

If/when you update to iPhone 5, just promise me you'll make some deserving PoA'er an offer to "spread the iPhone love" on these iPhone 4's if you like that offer you have in PM. It'll drive Nick crazy, all us iPhone freaks, breeding like rabbits... haha. ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
Back