GA vs Airlines: BizWeek gets it

good article.

oh and thats a GREAT picture of Marion

NOT!

Borat.jpg

The caption reads, "Federal Aviation Administrator Marion C. Blakey will step down from her position on Sept. 13." I didn't realize that!

When no one's in charge, no one can be held accountable. Small aircraft operators blame the big airlines for scheduling too many flights out of the major airports. The big carriers say the smaller operators aren't paying their share of what it takes to maintain the air traffic control system. The controllers complain they are understaffed and underpaid, and that their facilities need repair. The FAA says it needs new revenue sources to invest in new technologies. Congress says the FAA needs to manage the money it has better. And passengers blame everybody in sight, but aren't willing to spend a dime more on tickets.
Wow, that's as succinct and accurate a summary as I recall seeing!

I still want to know, and have yet to see a response to, how my puttering about in a single engine plane to, at BEST, a Charlie airport causes the delays we've been seeing at the Bravos. Something tells me it's not single engine props that are holding up the line there. And yet we're still to blame?

"When Marion C. Blakey took over at the Federal Aviation Administration in 2002, she was determined to fix an air travel system battered by terrorism, antiquated technology, and the ever-turbulent finances of the airline industry. Five years later, as she prepares to step down on Sept. 13, it's clear she failed."

They could have stopped right there. What a wasted administration.

As has been said... Government does very few things right and nothing well.

Today's her resignation day.

Rejoice!

Unless her replacement is even worse.

I've also been told,"Be glad you don't get as much government as you pay for".:eek:
So, Blakey was obviously making more than she earned.

Actually, her pay should have been based on overall ATC performance; INCLUDING Lockheed!

Now its time to get Ed Fred in that role.

I've written a letter (a few weeks ago). Lets do it, Ed Fred would be a GREAT FAA leader.

I still want to know, and have yet to see a response to, how my puttering about in a single engine plane to, at BEST, a Charlie airport causes the delays we've been seeing at the Bravos. Something tells me it's not single engine props that are holding up the line there. And yet we're still to blame?

The bottom line is that we don't. But we're being lumped into the same group with corporate fliers (GA). The increase in the number of corporate aircraft coupled with the impending boom in VLJs means less revenue for the airlines, and more people flying IFR.

Now I'm not an expert on corporate aircraft, but I don't believe that corporate jets choose to fly into the most heavily trafficked airports like JFK, ATL, ORD, when reliever airports have less traffic and fewer delays. Besides, with the airlines over-scheduling flights out of these airports, there wouldn't be any room for a corporate jet.

The bottom line is that we don't. But we're being lumped into the same group with corporate fliers (GA). The increase in the number of corporate aircraft coupled with the impending boom in VLJs means less revenue for the airlines, and more people flying IFR.

Now I'm not an expert on corporate aircraft, but I don't believe that corporate jets choose to fly into the most heavily trafficked airports like JFK, ATL, ORD, when reliever airports have less traffic and fewer delays. Besides, with the airlines over-scheduling flights out of these airports, there wouldn't be any room for a corporate jet.

I agree. The ATA, and pretty much everyone in favor of user fees, is lumping ALL GA together, even thought it's pretty much only corporate jets that go into the airports freqented by airlines. I see plenty of biz jets at BOS, LGA, and IAD, but their rate of opperation is miniscule compared to the airlines at those airports (a few an hour, opposed to the airlines few a minute) and their takeoff/approach speeds are almost perfectly matched, so it's not like they cause a huge slow down. PLUS, none of them are "heavys" and almost all of them can wave heavy in-trail restrictions, so they don't need any bigger of a gap than an RJ, 717, or really any other small airliner in trail of a large airliner. They can turn to the media, who doesn't know any better, and say "hey look, this cessna is GA, too, they must be part of the GA that's flying into the big airports, so lets blame them!"

There's no logic to the arguement...the ATA and the airlines are just trying to place blame for poor on-time performence on anything but themselves.

Last edited:
Now its time to get Ed Fred in that role.

I've written a letter (a few weeks ago). Lets do it, Ed Fred would be a GREAT FAA leader.

well, 6Y9 would probably finally get in the right spot in the GPS database and get an instrument approach...

well, 6Y9 would probably finally get in the right spot in the GPS database and get an instrument approach...

True, but I'm actually serious. Ed Fred is the man when it comes to aviation support and desires for it to succeed.

1) He collaborated with his father to reopen 6Y9 (HUGE feat)
2) He talks with real passion about what is right and what is wrong in the aviation world.
3) Does angel flight
4) Is a conservative
5) Would be fair to airlines as well as GA
6) Is a pilot (screw you, Blakey)
7) Has a nose for politics already
8) Everyone's friend (except Courtney....I haven't seen her in a while)
9) Scandal free

Ed Fred for FAA Director!!!

Is it just me or does Marion look like a Jim Henson creation?

Actually, the only man who is capable of resuscitating the agency is deputy director Sabatini.

But no way will he get nominated.

Back