GA rentals near Monticello AR or Greenville MS?

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
I'm planning a trip in March to visit my three remaining US states. Will probably fly commercial into Little Rock, then drive through Arkansas and Mississippi enroute to New Orleans.

It'd be great to rent a Cessna 172 or similar (with instructor since unfamiliar area) and do some landings/takeoffs in all three states.

Looks like the best place to do this is near Monticello, AR or Greenville, MS, and the airport grouping would be:
KGLH 14M 0M8 9M6 M32 7M1 KGLH

Anyone have info about places to rent airplanes in this area or nearby? Other helpful suggestions?
Thanks!

Im sure there is something in Greenville MS, but if you make it Over to GTR We can go fly my plane and then I can take you to the Simulators. Granted GTR is not close to Greenville..

Thanks, Simtech! Yeah, Columbus is pretty far. I appreciate the invite and if you're up near me, let's meet up!

Any time, let me know when you are over this way and Ill fly over if we both have time.

Any time, let me know when you are over this way and Ill fly over if we both have time.
If you fly into Memphis instead, you could touch all three states in less than an hour. Olive Branch Mississippi, West Memphis Arkansas, and DeWitt Spain Airport in Memphis. They are all easy to fly into and you'd get a good view of the river.

Sorry, I just realized my plan misses Louisiana.

I'll fly Southwest Airlines to the start, then rent a car one-way to New Orleans. The main goal is to visit Arkansas and Mississippi. GA flying enroute is cake with icing. Not sure if Memphis makes this easier than Little Rock?

Which city to fly into kind of depends on what you would like to see in each state. From Little Rock it sounds like you are thinking driving southeast to Mississippi then on down to New Orleans. That would take you through a lot of agriculture land and not exactly the most scenic area of Arkansas. You could fly into Memphis, cross the river at Memphis and go south and see basically the same portion of Arkansas. If you fly into Memphis, DeWitt Spain (M01)(in Tennessee -- downtown Memphis) or Olive Branch (KOLV)(in Mississippi) both have flight schools with several instructors and you could easily land in Arkansas and Mississippi. If you went to M01, you could even get some dual in a Stearman and accomplish your landing goals in each state. If you don't mind driving a little more and since you are coming from Colorado, you could fly into Northwest Arkansas Regional, rent a car there and drive to Memphis, stop and accomplish your flying goals, then head on to New Orleans through Mississippi. Northwest Arkansas is (I think) the most scenic part of the state. From Little Rock to Memphis the land use is mostly agricultural and the scenic value goes down, pretty much like what you will see from Little Rock going southeast.

North Arkansas is VERY pretty. I was stationed at Little Rock AFB and spent a lot of time up in heber springs boating, camping, and racing motocross. Very pretty up there! The drive from Little Rock to Memphis is really nothing but flat land and Semi Trucks out the wazoo! 40 is a truckers highway for sure. From Memphis down to New Orleans isnt all that much to see unless you branch off the main roads and hit up the little town along the way. Actually once outside Memphis if you take hwy55 on down your pretty much in the delta the whole time. But you can stop in Tunica and try to strike it rich but the house will win...KOLV is a nice airport but ive stopped flying into them much because of fees. But from there drop down into Tupelo and check out Elvis Presley's house. But now your getting on the east side of the state.

Oh if you go to little rock make a stop off at Petit Jean state park, they even have a runway there.

I'll fly Southwest Airlines to the start, then rent a car one-way to New Orleans. The main goal is to visit Arkansas and Mississippi. GA flying enroute is cake with icing. Not sure if Memphis makes this easier than Little Rock?
I would much rather drive down I-55 myself. Arkansas is best opposite the direction you are going. I really don't like the drive south of Little Rock. But, if you want to see Arkansas I would go with the recommendation of Petit Jean state park as the one places worth stopping. I haven't visited Vicksburg but I would try to see the battlefield if I was in the area. I like Mississippi, but it honestly doesn't offer much for sight seeing. If you leave Memphis driving south, Oxford is a nice town to visit and Jackson has good food. I would recommend going to a Fish camp on a Thurs or Fri night to really experience Mississippi.

If you like the blues you could drive south from MEM and go on the blues trail in the MS Delta on the way to NO. A couple small but interesting cities thru MS like Vicksburg and Natchez. Stop in BTR and see if Mulligan will give ya a ride in his new Cirrus!

http://www.msbluestrail.org/

Back