GA Plane of the Year 2012 goes to DA40

Meh, not that there's an impressive array of competition, to me it's too slow and doesn't suck up the gear, waste of energy.

Best plane of the year is one I can afford personally...

What....

It is not a RV-10.:dunno::nono::sad:

Sorry Geico.... I just had to say it...:D

I love DA40's, but slightly bigger tanks, twenty more horsies, and the ability to pull up their feet would sell me.

We all know the RV-10 would beat the rudder off a D40 whatever. 150 knots on 10 gph? I can do 155knots on mogas! With an excellent safety record. :D

Non standard engine and fuel system.

Wait, I thought that part of what made experimentals so great was that you could use non-standard anything you wanted?

Wait, I thought that part of what made experimentals so great was that you could use non-standard anything you wanted?

Van's has a standard design for each model. Build it to the plans and you have a proven design. Deviate from the plans and you assume the engineering and design of the system.

You don't like experimentals, I would never own a certified plane.

This is Pilot's of America.

Get over it. :yes:

You don't like experimentals.

You're even more ignorant than I thought if you truly believe that.

I don't like your misrepresentation of experimentals. That is accurate.

Go back and read any thread where you've suggested an RV for someone's mission when it isn't even close to what was asked for or makes sense for the mission. So far, you're at 100% on that.

But ironically, you didn't seem to take Ed's inquiry seriously. I guess he'll have to buy that 747. ;)

Done.

Go back and read any thread where you've suggested an RV for someone's mission when it isn't even close to what was asked for or makes sense for the mission. So far, you're at 100% on that.

But ironically, you didn't seem to take Ed's inquiry seriously. I guess he'll have to buy that 747. ;)

Done.

No facts, poop, and run away. :rofl:

Do you feel better now?

Last edited:
Parts falling off, in flight fires and explosions still tarnish that "excellent" safety record.

Does that only happen with RV-10's? :dunno:

Every plane has it's issues, no plane is perfect. The weak link with the -10 is the gull wing doors. Leave them unlached or mislatched and it will be waiting on the runway for you. ;)

The OP started this discussion about the Diamond 2012 plane of the year, not the RV-10.

How many Diamond DA40s are flying?
Any reported incidents?

Or will this be another worthless thread bashing experimentals?

Last edited:
Van's has a standard design for each model. Build it to the plans and you have a proven design. Deviate from the plans and you assume the engineering and design of the system.

You don't like experimentals, I would never own a certified plane.

This is Pilot's of America.

What is the standard engine in the design?

Last edited:
Can we stick to facts instead of degradation and name calling?

According to Webster:

1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics>
b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
: unaware, uninformed

No name calling here. And no degradation, IMO.

Non standard engine and fuel system.
"Can't happen to me".

Seriously, one of the big issues in E-AB is the first 25 hours after the airwrothiness flyoff has occurred. I know GEICO is beyond that period.

They're only hard on you because you stongly give the impression that the RV-10 is "the perfect airplane for whatever trip it is".

O-540 producing 235-260 HP. Most chose the IO-540 260 HP.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv10.htm

Two out of the four incidents were planes with auto conversion engines. My hat is off to the guys that try those engines. They are true experimenters.

So, basically I'd be into an RV-10 for the price of an Ovation and be stuck with a slow fixed gear plane that I had to spend $100,000 worth of labor time building and I still have the same POS engine that I would go EXP to get away from? Sorry, I'm not anti experimental, but that doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

If I was to go EXP at this point it would be with a Lancair IVP and an Audi V-10 Diesel. Either that or something for off field work with a happy button to get off short short short.

Last edited:

Is there ANY aircraft that would be "excellent" on everyone's own interpretation of excellent?

I for one love the DA40 series, just wish their new pricepoint wasn't half a million out the door, I don't think they demand that much value.. but used ones seem fairly reasonable.

Last edited:
The guy who's RV10 exploded with him and his daughter in it described the experience on the Purple Board. Quite harrowing, and both were partially crispy crittered. I have to admit, the thread did not boost my enthusiasm for the brand. That said, I've never been in the market for one.

I like the DA40, always have. Also, I have been told that Diamonds actually have fewer crashes compared to other aircraft. Yeah, new ones are pricey, but what aircraft isn't. And if Geico chimes in about the damn RV's again I'lll remind him the some of us value our time, a great deal of which has to be sunk into the construction of any experimental. If I charged my usual consulting rate for that the RV would cost a lot more than the priciest of certificated aircraft.

Something that always stuck in my mind as I took a detailed tour of Cessna's Independance plant was, how do you match this in your garage?

Seriously, four levels of QC, jigs, silouetted parts carts, build sheets, every little thing just so, it was impressive. It also wasn't the first time building one for any of the employees.

Back