GA in Illinois and Wisconsin?

I'll be a dissenting view. Wisconsin is pretty meh. Everyone in the Midwest seems to think it's the coolest nicest place on Earth, but really its just because the majority of those people won't leave their comfort zone... which is squarely in the midwest. Is it better than IL? sure but that's not much of a bar to set.

Considering the question was IL vs. WI, I would say that your view is not dissenting.

I'll be a dissenting view. Wisconsin is pretty meh. Everyone in the Midwest seems to think it's the coolest nicest place on Earth, but really its just because the majority of those people won't leave their comfort zone... which is squarely in the midwest. Is it better than IL? sure but that's not much of a bar to set.

As a lifelong Wisconsinite... I wouldn't disagree. "We're nicer than Illinois" isn't saying much. MI and MN are also nice. None of the above hold a candle to places out west; I'd love to live out that way but I'm kinda stuck here due to family circumstances. If I ever come into a pile of money, I'm gonna have myself a jet and a place out in Wyoming or Idaho or Montana on an airstrip with a nice backcountry bird in the hangar.

You're right, Colorado is overcrowded (especially places close to I-70 and not too far west of Denver), as are some places in Utah. That's why I'd be more into WY/ID/MT.

But when your job requires you to be near a lot of people, it's hard to be in those places with all the wilderness.

You guys can have the west. Have lived there. Not going back. Mountains....meh. Nice to look at I guess. I have never spent much time in Colorado and have never been to Montana. Maybe that's the west people talk about. Washington and Oregon are nice but I would never pay that much money to live there. California....well, we've had enough threads on that.

My ideal place to live would be Ireland....except there is really no GA and even if there were, not many airports to fly to. Plenty of sheep though...

You guys can have the west. Have lived there. Not going back. Mountains....meh. Nice to look at I guess. I have never spent much time in Colorado and have never been to Montana. Maybe that's the west people talk about. Washington and Oregon are nice but I would never pay that much money to live there.

I really enjoyed Libby, MT recently. Maybe that's because thanks to Covid plus the normal schedule that happens when you're married to a teacher (ie no vacations ever outside of Xmas-new years, spring break, and summer) I haven't had a vacation since Oshkosh of 2019... But I liked it enough there that I might go back and spend a couple more days out there with the family next summer.

My brother just moved to Portland from San Jose. He's been making and paying Silicon Valley money for a dozen years, but for exactly what he sold his 1500 square foot house for in SJC, he moved to a massive and beautiful 6,000 square foot, 4 BR/6 bath near Portland. :eek: I think he'll do all right with the rest of the expenses being lower there.

But when I said "west", and I think this was Austin's meaning too, we're not talking west coast. We're talking mountain west. And not Denver.

I really enjoyed Libby, MT recently. Maybe that's because thanks to Covid plus the normal schedule that happens when you're married to a teacher (ie no vacations ever outside of Xmas-new years, spring break, and summer) I haven't had a vacation since Oshkosh of 2019... But I liked it enough there that I might go back and spend a couple more days out there with the family next summer.

My brother just moved to Portland from San Jose. He's been making and paying Silicon Valley money for a dozen years, but for exactly what he sold his 1500 square foot house for in SJC, he moved to a massive and beautiful 6,000 square foot, 4 BR/6 bath near Portland. :eek: I think he'll do all right with the rest of the expenses being lower there.

But when I said "west", and I think this was Austin's meaning too, we're not talking west coast. We're talking mountain west. And not Denver.
I find Utah and Idaho to be way too dry for my tastes. Maybe I would like Montana, but I specialize in accounting in the manufacturing sector. Lots of that in the midwest (although my company keeps moving everything to Texas....don't get me started). Not so much out west.

I find Utah and Idaho to be way too dry for my tastes. Maybe I would like Montana, but I specialize in accounting in the manufacturing sector. Lots of that in the midwest (although my company keeps moving everything to Texas....don't get me started). Not so much out west.

Yeah, it is very dry in some places out there... And it's very hard to live in places where there aren't many jobs unless you do something that's inherently not tied to being located near other people.

Back