GA definitions

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Airspeed- True airspeed plus 20 knots when talking to other pilots.

Bail out- Getting the water out of the fuselage after a heavy rain.

Carb ice- Phrase used when reporting a forced landing caused by running out of fuel.

Clear- Warning shouted one second after you hit the starter.

Contact- Friend who can get you aircraft parts at wholesale.

Downwind- Takeoff made by nonconformist.

Elevation- Condition brought on by severe updrafts.

Fin- Price of three aircraft bolts.

Final approach- Asking the waitress at the airport cafe for the fifth time to fly to Las Vegas with you.

Flight plan- Scheme to get away from the house to go flying.

Groundspeed- Elapsed time driving from home to the airport.

Gross weight- Maximum permissable takeoff weight plus two suit cases, 10 quarts of oil, four rifles, four sleeping bags, and a box of wood.

Hanger- Home for anything that flies, mostly birds.

IFR- Affliction of pilots who get vertigo when they watch where they are going.

Kilometers- A scale printed on charts to further confuse pilots who are already in trouble with knots.

Lazy eight- The airport FBO owner, his four mechanics, and three lineman.

Motor- Word used by Englishmen and student pilots when referring to engines.

Overhaul- Uniform worn by aggie pilots.

Pitch- Story you give your spouse about needing an airplane for your business.

Quarry- Name for unusually poor emergency landing site.

Roll- Money needed to take waitress at airport cafe to Las Vegas.

Runway- Ramp extending from stage into audience area at all good burlesque houses.

Stall- Explaining to the finance company why you cannot make your airplane payment on time.

Supercharger- Pilot with eight credit cards.

Takeoff- (see Runway)

Throttle- What you would like to do to the guy who bumps your wing tip.

Trim tab- Device that can fly an airplane better than most pilots.

Useful Load- The number of cokes or beers you can drink without having to insist on an unscheduled comfort stop short of your destination.

VFR- Instrument weather conditions as observed by a pilot without an instrument rating.

XC- Log book entry used by pilot flying local who gets lost in the pattern and has to land at another airfield for fuel.

Credit is given to Wanda Strassburg, a longtime CFI and DPE extraodinaire based at KSBP. She also is the Safety Chairman of the local Ninety-Nines chapter.

RotaryWingBob said:
Helicopter IFR - I Follow Roads.

AAA - The place helicopter pilots go to get maps before flying IFR.
It's the truth, when one of my uncles flew his T-craft across the USA several times in the early '70s his charts were Rand McNally maps.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Thanks Richard... these are all too true !
You're welcome. The real credit goes to Wanda. If you ever make it out this way you must meet Wanda. She is very knowledegable and wise and a barrel of laughs to boot. In the same manner that we seek out the best on fld restaurants, we should also seek out those folks who have given so much of themselves to aviation. Such is Wanda and she truly is a noteworthy local feature. I dare say that to many 99s she is a heroine.

It is very atypical of me to gush about a person but in some cases I do make exceptions. Wanda is exceptional.

In reading some of those definitions you'll see many are derived from the antics of low time pilots. Only an astute observer of human behavior could come up with those.

In reading some of those definitions you'll see many are derived from the antics of low time pilots. Only an astute observer of human behavior could come up with those

And many are derived from the career pilots...

Back