GA Abr 4 ID10T'5

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
Is there a catalog of common avaition abreviations and terms for us non-pilot airplane geek types? I can usually guess what you guys are talking about, but a quick reference of some type would help me understand some of these conversations I've been digging through a lot easier.

(yes, I've been lurking on old threads here to try to give myself an education) :wink2:

Even if you had a list some of them aren't official terms.

Hope you get your PPL. Then you'll have learned CIGAR, ...

Depends on the type of flying being discussed. Start in the AIM, branch out to airplane flying handbook then to Instrument Flying Handbook. You could also check out Rod Machado. You might want to use some part of the list of books from this thread (and it's probably one of 50 or so similar ones).
The real point is, there isn't one source. Google is your friend. And it depends on where it is being used. Context is everything.

Depends on the type of flying being discussed. Start in the AIM, branch out to airplane flying handbook then to Instrument Flying Handbook. You could also check out Rod Machado. You might want to use some part of the list of books from this thread (and it's probably one of 50 or so similar ones).
The real point is, there isn't one source. Google is your friend. And it depends on where it is being used. Context is everything.

Thanks John, that's what I was looking for. Next thing you know, I'll be selling my dragster and buying a C 182! :thumbsup:

Even if you had a list some of them aren't official terms.

Hope you get your PPL. Then you'll have learned CIGAR, ...

I've had my PP(c)L for a while now and I still don't know what CIGAR is, though I've seen it a few times around here. I did get to try to talk over an 8 minute fight on the CTAF today about the use of ATITAPA. That was fun.

Back