G530 subscription

TommyG

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
so just bought a 1970 182 with a Garmin 530. No WAAS, traffic, etc. barebones. Trying to find out the cost for the subscription. Is it through garmin or Jepp?

On a side note, is it worth it to upgrade to WAAS, traffic, wx, or just go the extra mile and buy a 650 or 750?

so just bought a 1970 182 with a Garmin 530. No WAAS, traffic, etc. barebones. Trying to find out the cost for the subscription. Is it through garmin or Jepp?

On a side note, is it worth it to upgrade to WAAS, traffic, wx, or just go the extra mile and buy a 650 or 750?
Garmin does terrain and obstructions iirc while Jepp does nav/airport data.

And regarding upgrading... Depends. I have a 530 I'll be upgrading at some point to a 530W. The upgrade cost is just shy of 4 AMU.

To upgrade to a brand new big GTN would be what... 12 AMU if you take a discount for the value of the 530?

If you have the extra 8k kicking around, the GTN is a no brainer. If you don't, you'll have a 530W like me. :)

Upgrade to 530W and subscribe via Garmin.

Then pop in your GTX330ES (adds your ADS-B out, traffic and weather) and you're good for a while.

If you have the extra 8k kicking around, the GTN is a no brainer. If you don't, you'll have a 530W like me. :)

If you have a extra 8k, I can think of a million other places to spend it before buying a more expensive box, which shoots all the exact same approaches as your existing 530.

All you really need to update is the nav data from Jepp
http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-overview.jsp?kwpgus=&cid=sem90044776

If you're VFR, I wouldn't bother unless your data is over 2 years old.

As for WAAS, for now, depends, for me I wouldn't see too much of a diffrence in IFR where I live not having it. later with the ADSB thing, you might need it if you need a certified WAAS data source, the ADSB would also put traffic on your 530, though the complementary VNAV from WAAS on many RNAV approaches is nice.

The WAAS upgrade is like $3600, plus install, which normally is just a antenna and maybe some coax cable.

Don't worry about the terrain, mountains don't move much, and if you're looking at your screen to avoid towers, well you're doomed

If you have a extra 8k, I can think of a million other places to spend it before buying a more expensive box, which shoots all the exact same approaches as your existing 530.

All you really need to update is the nav data from Jepp
http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-overview.jsp?kwpgus=&cid=sem90044776

If you're VFR, I wouldn't bother unless your data is over 2 years old.

As for WAAS, for now, depends, for me I wouldn't see too much of a diffrence in IFR where I live not having it. later with the ADSB thing, you might need it if you need a certified WAAS data source, the ADSB would also put traffic on your 530, though the complementary VNAV from WAAS on many RNAV approaches is nice.

The WAAS upgrade is like $3600, plus install, which normally is just a antenna and maybe some coax cable.

Don't worry about the terrain, mountains don't move much, and if you're looking at your screen to avoid towers, well you're doomed
I want the WAAS upgrade since the box performs better after the upgrade and vnav is nice... so that's why I want the box with WAAS instead of the xponder with it. Personal preference thing for me.

ADSB is less expensive if you have a WAAS IFR/GPS like the 530. Talk to an avionics shop.

Then pop in your GTX330ES (adds your ADS-B out, traffic and weather) and you're good for a while.

The combination of a GNS530W as position source and a GTX330ES will give you ADS-B Out only, so no traffic or weather (those are ADS-B In benefits).

The combination of a GNS530W as position source and a GTX330ES will give you ADS-B Out only, so no traffic or weather (those are ADS-B In benefits).

Funny I was just having this talk with a avionics shop, my understanding is for most 330/GNS installs, you'll get ADSB traffic, just not stale ADSB weather, which IMO is fine.

The weather might be stale; however, I have not had it older than 35 minutes on any flight and most of the time it is 15 minutes or less. You can add an iPad and one of many of the ADS_B in's to give you both weather and traffic if you have ADS_B out. I have not seen any difference in the traffic or weather displays between those on the GTN 750 and my iLevel connected to iFlyQ or Wing X.

35min isn't information, that's misinformation.

The traffic feature is cool, but I'll still be waiting till closer to 2020

Thanks for the info. Will price out some avionics shops around.

Funny I was just having this talk with a avionics shop, my understanding is for most 330/GNS installs, you'll get ADSB traffic, just not stale ADSB weather, which IMO is fine.

I don't think this is correct James. The 330 can receive current radar sourced TIS-A traffic, which is being phased out in favour of traffic information from the ADS-B ground stations (TIS-B). I don't think Garmin has any plans to upgrade the 330 transponder to receive TIS-B. If they did it would compete with their 345 I expect. Can't have that, can we ;)

I don't think this is correct James. The 330 can receive current radar sourced TIS-A traffic, which is being phased out in favour of traffic information from the ADS-B ground stations (TIS-B). I don't think Garmin has any plans to upgrade the 330 transponder to receive TIS-B. If they did it would compete with their 345 I expect. Can't have that, can we ;)

The logic is sound, I'll have to call my avionics guy back and double check, ESing my 330 is the easy way for me, but it sends WAY too much info out for my taste, thought I said I'd at least get traffic, which is not a huge selling point, I'm ether very low level or I'm IFR.

Garmin 345 is adsb in/out. 330 with the squitter update is out only. You'll need an adsb in receiver. I was looking at the garmin gdl39 3d to solve the in part.

The logic is sound, I'll have to call my avionics guy back and double check, ESing my 330 is the easy way for me, but it sends WAY too much info out for my taste, thought I said I'd at least get traffic, which is not a huge selling point, I'm ether very low level or I'm IFR.

If you have a WAAS GNS for position source and already have a 330 installed, it seems the lowest cost solution for Out compliance is to bring it up to a 330ES. But you are correct, it sends a lot of stuff and you cannot remain private on VFR, unlike a 978 MHz UAT solution. I don't have Mode S in the plane so am dealing with that dilemma and looking at all alternatives from the Freeflight 978 UAT Out only through to a Garmin 335 or 345. Nothin's cheap these days :( :mad:

One of the reasons I'm not jumping on any band wagons, it's not that it's "cheap" it's just some of these manufactures think they can charge the big bucks with out offering much VALUE.

We still got time, and I'd rather wait for the people who see the money to be made to offer something above what the current crap other have brought to the table.

You do get TIS traffic (sometimes referred to as TIS-"A", which is a Mode S function) but not ADS-B traffic (TIS-B). Only some areas have TIS coverage, mostly near busy Bravos. The TIS system was largely abandoned with the onset of TIS-B (ADS-B), but is designed as a supplement to TCAS for bigger iron.

The weather might be stale; however, I have not had it older than 35 minutes on any flight and most of the time it is 15 minutes or less. You can add an iPad and one of many of the ADS_B in's to give you both weather and traffic if you have ADS_B out. I have not seen any difference in the traffic or weather displays between those on the GTN 750 and my iLevel connected to iFlyQ or Wing X.

The weather age is not the actual weather age. Its how old the broadcast is. a 15 min old Nexrad may very well be 30 minutes old. A one min old image may very well be 15 min old. In a convective environment, you'd be trying to kiss a rattlesnake.

Back