G5 software update

chemgeek

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
chemgeek
The Experimental/LSA model is updated to v6.75 as of October 19. Includes an update to the GAD-29B (3.30) and GMU-11 (2.10).

The certificated version is still on v6.72 as of July 10, but perhaps an upgrade to v6.75 and beyond is upcoming.

The G5 still has a slow power draw issue on the backup battery when shut down, about 8-10% per week from 100% power in my aircraft. Maybe that will get addressed in one of these upgrades.

Link.

The Experimental/LSA model is updated to v6.75 as of October 19. Includes an update to the GAD-29B (3.30) and GMU-11 (2.10).

The certificated version is still on v6.72 as of July 10, but perhaps an upgrade to v6.75 and beyond is upcoming.

The G5 still has a slow power draw issue on the backup battery when shut down, about 8-10% per week from 100% power in my aircraft. Maybe that will get addressed in one of these upgrades.

Link.
Do you have the diodes installed as per the latest install guides? I have Had zero drain on my batteries (both certified) on any version since I installed them a couple years ago.

Do you have the diodes installed as per the latest install guides? I have Had zero drain on my batteries (both certified) on any version since I installed them a couple years ago.

I don't remember any diodes. I'll have to inquire.

My G5 was installed before diodes requirement and it had zero draw.

Mine has the battery draw too. Originally it was just my HSI that would lose about 15% battery a week if not flown. Now my PFD is doing it too. They are about 1.5yrs old

Link.

How long does it take to charge back up? From dead? From 50%?

mines has no power draw. 3 years running. the only 2 times the AI showed power draw is when the plane was in the shop getting other stuff done and someone kept it running

Mine has the battery draw too. Originally it was just my HSI that would lose about 15% battery a week if not flown. Now my PFD is doing it too. They are about 1.5yrs old

That is what I am seeing, except more like 10% per week. Which is strange since they are verified powered down after flight. Mine are about a year after install.

Tell me more about these diodes...is there a doc on that? I had mine installed a year and a half ago, I think? Wondering when this kicked in. I've had drain issues, but they've been related to the G5 not turning off on shutdown. As a leaseback, it flies enough that 10% per week would not be noticed, but TBO is coming up and I'd hate to see the batteries killed during an extended downtime.

Tell me more about these diodes...is there a doc on that? I had mine installed a year and a half ago, I think? Wondering when this kicked in. I've had drain issues, but they've been related to the G5 not turning off on shutdown. As a leaseback, it flies enough that 10% per week would not be noticed, but TBO is coming up and I'd hate to see the batteries killed during an extended downtime.
Download the latest install manual.

6.73 is out for Certified (11/2/2020).

Changes made from version 6.72 to 6.73:
  • Added additional autopilot configuration options
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 4.80
  • Includes GMC 507 software version 2.90
  • Includes GAD 29 software version 3.20
  • Includes GMU 11 software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD 13 software version 2.00

6.73 is out for Certified (11/2/2020).

Changes made from version 6.72 to 6.73:
  • Added additional autopilot configuration options
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 4.80
  • Includes GAD 29 software version 3.20
  • Includes GMU 11 software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD 13 software version 2.00
What do these updates do? Is their a log somewhere that explains what has been changed?

Has anyone had their G5s updated to version 7.10?

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=10361

Changes made from version 6.76 to 7.10:
  • Added support for GAD 29C GPS/Navigation data interface adapter
  • Added additional data to SD card flight data logging
  • Improved NMEA GPRMC sentence output
  • Improved heading display when true direction is selected
  • Improved ARINC 429 label output
  • Improved battery charging control
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 4.90
  • Includes update to GAD 29 software version 3.40
  • Includes GMU 11 software version 2.10

Has anyone had their G5s updated to version 7.10?

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=10361

Changes made from version 6.76 to 7.10:
  • Added support for GAD 29C GPS/Navigation data interface adapter
  • Added additional data to SD card flight data logging
  • Improved NMEA GPRMC sentence output
  • Improved heading display when true direction is selected
  • Improved ARINC 429 label output
  • Improved battery charging control
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 4.90
  • Includes update to GAD 29 software version 3.40
  • Includes GMU 11 software version 2.10

Version 7.10 is for Experimental/LSA aircraft only. Version 6.82 is still current for certificated aircraft.

What would happen if you installed the experimental software version into a certified instrument? Does it brick it?

What would happen if you installed the experimental software version into a certified instrument? Does it brick it?

Don't know, but wouldn't it be illegal to operate with unapproved software?

I updated with no issue just FYI.. all works great as usual with my dual G5’s and GFC500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back