G5, JPI EDM 930, GMU 11 and OAT questions

bcg-63M20C

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bcg
I have a single Certified G5 in my Mooney configured as the Primary Attitude Display. It does not have an OAT probe or GMU11 currently installed so I get Ground Track and IAS/GS only.

When I do my annual in August, I'm replacing all the legacy engine gauges with a JPI EDM 930 and installing an OAT and Carb Temp probe as part of that. I know that the JPI will send fuel info to my GPS 175 but, will it also send OAT info to the 175 and G5?

I'd like to get TAS and MH and wind data on the G5, I know I need to add the GMU 11 and it will need OAT info to make the calculations but it's not clear to me if 1) I can get the info on the single G5 AI in a certified installation and 2) if the JPI will send OAT over RS 232 or I'll need to also install a Garmin OAT sensor. So can I get it to do what I'd like by adding the JPI and a GMU 11?

It would be nice to install a 2nd G5 HSI and integrate it all together but, my NAV radio won't talk to it so that would have to be replaced which quickly turns it into a $10k - $15k job. Since I don't plan on this being the forever plane, it's hard to justify that in addition to what I've already had to put into the plane.

The answer is a bit convoluted. The GPS 175 (as of software 3.2) does now support the serial fuel formats and you can set it up for the format that will bring over OAT from the JPI 930 (FADC format 1 on GPS 175, and GPS-C format 6 or 7 on the 930). However, there is no way to get OAT on to a G5 other than with a GAD13, so if you want winds and TAS on the G5, you must also install the GAD13 and either GTP59 or C307PS OAT probe. Also, there is no way to get OAT in to the JPI 930 other than its Type K thermocouple connection.... so you generally end up with 2 probes. If you don't install the GAD13, you would be able to get the GPS 175 to calculate the winds and TAS for you using the combined data from the JPI 930 and the G5/GAD29/GMU11 (on the DALT/TAS/Wind Page of the GPS 175, with the "use sensor data" selected). However, this is certainly not as nice as seeing it directly on the G5s. Also, if you don't install a GAD29, the airdata from the G5(s) won't be available on the GPS175 as that comes over ARINC429. Given that it sounds like you aren't installing a 2nd G5, I don't believe the winds would be visible anyway (the wind field is only on the HSI view, not the AI view)

Last edited:
The answer is a bit convoluted. The GPS 175 (as of software 3.2) does now support the serial fuel formats and you can set it up for the format that will bring over OAT from the JPI 930 (FADC format 1 on GPS 175, and GPS-C format 6 or 7 on the 930). However, there is no way to get OAT on to a G5 other than with a GAD13, so if you want winds and TAS on the G5, you must also install the GAD13 and either GTP59 or C307PS OAT probe. Also, there is no way to get OAT in to the JPI 930 other than its Type K thermocouple connection.... so you generally end up with 2 probes. If you don't install the GAD13, you would be able to get the GPS 175 to calculate the winds and TAS for you using the combined data from the JPI 930 and the G5/GAD29/GMU11 (on the DALT/TAS/Wind Page of the GPS 175, with the "use sensor data" selected). However, this is certainly not as nice as seeing it directly on the G5s. Also, if you don't install a GAD29, the airdata from the G5(s) won't be available on the GPS175 as that comes over ARINC429. Given that it sounds like you aren't installing a 2nd G5, I don't believe the winds would be visible anyway (the wind field is only on the HSI view, not the AI view)

Thanks for the feedback. Kind of a bummer that it can't use the info from the JPI but, at least we're only talking about an extra $500ish in parts for the GAD13 and GTP59 which is cheap in aviation terms anyway.

Back