G5 heading inconsistent

PacmanJC

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stephen
Just a post to help anyone out who may also be having problems with their G5 showing inconsistent heading.

A while ago I bought a Piper Arrow that had dual G5s and a 430w installed previously. The G5s were installed about a year before I bought the plane. After about 10 hours of flying it I noticed that the G5s were now indicating a heading inconsistent with magnetic compass of about 60-100 degrees. I went through the software upgrade on the G5s at the instruction of Garmin support which did not resolve the issue. I also tried calibrating the G5 magnetometer using the process described in the manual. None of those fixed the issue. Digging deeper, I found out that the magnetometer GMU-11 was installed in the wing tip. I picked up a cheap borescope from Amazon and peaked in through the wingtip light hole and found the GMU-11 laying on the inner wing without being attached to its mount. It turns out the GMU-11 was installed without any sort of locking nuts on the mount so after a year of vibration the nuts backed off and the GMU-11 worked its way free.

Thanks for the update, welcome to POA.

Garmin provides the hardware to be used, so beware that the hardware is special.
IMG_3424.JPG

IMG_3427.JPG

Garmin provides the hardware to be used, so beware that the hardware is special.
IMG_3424.JPG

IMG_3427.JPG
I can see what looks like locking nuts on yours. Whoever installed mine used two nuts on each machine screw to “lock” each other which did not work. This is only a guess though because I found 8 nuts loose inside the wing, none of which were locking

IMG_3424.JPG

IMG_3427.JPG
Being in the wingtip you don't have any issues with RF coming from the nav lights or strobe?

That’s part of what the calibration process accounts for.

And prior to installation, an EMI survey of the aircraft is supposed to be conducted by the installer; the results of this survey are to inform the installer if the recommended location is suitable or if another location should he used.

That’s straight from the installation manual.

Back