G5/GNC 255/TruTrak integration question

nrimmer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
nrimmer
My TruTrak Vizion is synced to my G5s through the GAD-29B. I am looking to install a GNC 255 nav/comm and use the G5s as the indicator. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the TruTrak to follow the green line via the G5s?

Not really. You can fly a track though and just adjust as you go. The TruTrak can fly a GPS curse or fallow your heading bug on the G5s but it cant fallow the GNC 255 signal. That's my experience anyway.

It can not follow the green line.

That’s what I thought the answer would be, but figured I would check with others here. Since TT can take heading/alt bug commands from the G5s it seems there is probably a software update that could be done to make it follow the green line, but that would require cooperation between Garmin and Bendix so not holding my breath.

That’s what I thought the answer would be, but figured I would check with others here. Since TT can take heading/alt bug commands from the G5s it seems there is probably a software update that could be done to make it follow the green line, but that would require cooperation between Garmin and Bendix so not holding my breath.

No, that isn't it. The TruTrak was designed strictly to work with GPS for simplicity. Last I checked, it can't even legally fly a coupled approach, meaning you need to hand fly all approaches to be legal and can't do approaches with minimums that require using AP to DA (unless you have a FD).

Magenta lines and heading bugs. Or you can use the head unit and it will fly a track. But that’s it.
That's how I have it set up right now, tracks both GPS and heading bug. As you mentioned above though, could roughly track a VOR by adjusting as you go, but will not automatically hold the line. Oh well, for a $5k autopilot there are going to be some small sacrifices.

That's how I have it set up right now, tracks both GPS and heading bug. As you mentioned above though, could roughly track a VOR by adjusting as you go, but will not automatically hold the line. Oh well, for a $5k autopilot there are going to be some small sacrifices.

Except when you can buy a $7000 that does literally everything.

Except when you can buy a $7000 that does literally everything.
$7k for parts. I can’t install a GFC 500 with my A&P friend. It costs nearly twice that out the door after install and tax.

Back