G5 CDI

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Well, Since we're on a roll of G5 threads... I'm planning on getting dual G5's in the near future. My current set-up includes a GNC255 Nav/Com and a GI-106A CDI. Should I keep the CDI and make the G5 redundant and/or simpler, or should I ditch the CDI and use the G5 as an HSI?

Thoughts? Pro's? Cons?

Well, Since we're on a roll of G5 threads... I'm planning on getting dual G5's in the near future. My current set-up includes a GNC255 Nav/Com and a GI-106A CDI. Should I keep the CDI and make the G5 redundant and/or simpler, or should I ditch the CDI and use the G5 as an HSI?

Thoughts? Pro's? Cons?

I would ditch the CDI and get the HSI. Sell the 106A. Now you'll end up with an empty hole but hey, there's plenty of stuff to buy that fits.

I would ditch the CDI. You can get $1,000 for it probably, which will help pay for the G5's.

Ditch it. Not that I would know anything about a dual G5 install. :D

Our installer told us we had to disconnect the #1 CDI. There is some sort of issue with both a CDI and the G5 connected to the GPS unit when it is required to switch between VOR & GPS navigation. I never did understand it but his expertise seems solid.

If anyone needs a good Garmin CDI we will probably have one for sale in 5 or 6 weeks.

Our installer told us we had to disconnect the #1 CDI. There is some sort of issue with both a CDI and the G5 connected to the GPS unit when it is required to switch between VOR & GPS navigation. I never did understand it but his expertise seems solid.

If anyone needs a good Garmin CDI we will probably have one for sale in 5 or 6 weeks.
thats the story i got too. in any case, i was glad to sell mine and get some $$ back that i have promptly spent on a 21st century ELT

Yeah it'll remove weight too, which is a plus. I sure will have a barren panel, pretty much just the 6 pack + radio stack + engine instruments.

on a diff note, now that our management council members are getting G5's, we can promptly ban all Aspen threads...

running for cover

on a diff note, now that our management council members are getting G5's, we can promptly ban all Aspen threads...

running for cover
Aspen was never in the running for me. A) I already have a Garmin radio stack. B) I have a shotgun panel... and I like it, so the Aspen solution was NOT going to work.

Back