G5 ADI (W or WO LPM?)

Nathan Miller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
So, my Attitude Indicator finally went tango uniform. My partners and I had always said that when the vacuum quit sucking or the attitude indicator started rolling, we would replace it with a G5.

I installed the G5 HSI a year and a half ago when I also did the audio panel and GTR-225 Com. The ADI should be a breeze compared to the HSI (no magnetometer, GAD29B is already installed, etc). I digress.

I'm building my order with Spruce and I see they have two flavors of the STC'd G5 ADI. Help?

Spruce Part# 11-18411 MFR Model# K10-00280-01 VS
Spruce Part# 11-14579 MFR Model# K10-00280-00

The -01 has Lighting Protection Module. -00 does not.

This is going in a Skyhawk. I'm pretty sure the LPM is only required for a composite aircraft, but I can't find confirmation in the install manual. (Maybe I have an old version? Or maybe the reader is just too dang old to see it :)) Either way, I'm hoping someone is familiar enough with this to tell me if I'm on the right track or not.

Thanks!

TestFlightN4808Dresize.jpg <-- Maiden test flight after our last round of avionics work.

Also - anyone know if the C172N has to have any cutouts in the frame of the 6-pack for dual G5s? I saw a mention of that in the install manual - that some airplanes need to be modified to fit dual G5s.

So, my Attitude Indicator finally went tango uniform. My partners and I had always said that when the vacuum quit sucking or the attitude indicator started rolling, we would replace it with a G5.

I installed the G5 HSI a year and a half ago when I also did the audio panel and GTR-225 Com. The ADI should be a breeze compared to the HSI (no magnetometer, GAD29B is already installed, etc). I digress.

I'm building my order with Spruce and I see they have two flavors of the STC'd G5 ADI. Help?

Spruce Part# 11-18411 MFR Model# K10-00280-01 VS
Spruce Part# 11-14579 MFR Model# K10-00280-00

The -01 has Lighting Protection Module. -00 does not.

This is going in a Skyhawk. I'm pretty sure the LPM is only required for a composite aircraft, but I can't find confirmation in the install manual. (Maybe I have an old version? Or maybe the reader is just too dang old to see it :)) Either way, I'm hoping someone is familiar enough with this to tell me if I'm on the right track or not.

Thanks!

The latest STC approved installation manual shows that the LPM is not optional. IMHO the non-LPM kit is an artifact of much older STC install manual configuration.

I have watched the evolution of this install manual, on Rev 28 now and was Rev 13 when I DIY installed 5 of these in the family airplanes. It has changed a lot, some of it is surprising there are no recommended retro active service bulletins to bring older installs up to same compliance as newer installs.

Last edited:
Successfully replaced the vacuum driven artificial horizon with a G5 with LPM. It ended up being easier than the G5 HSI I installed a year and a half ago (I believe it was revision 21 of the STC Install manual. Yes, latest is 28. Agreed, there is no requirement to retro the LPM into the previously installed HSI. The LPM had the diode built in, so one less thing to buy and install in the process.

The Skyhawk's IP had enough spacing between the DG and AI holes that modifying the holes weren't necessary.

It was a PITA, mostly because the serial cable from my GPS didn't have much slack to work with and I was cussing myself for not having more forethought to leave some length. IIRC, my concern at the time was to not leave TOO much wire and create a rats nest. But a foot extra would have been super and not have contributed to a mess.

Successfully replaced the vacuum driven artificial horizon with a G5 with LPM. It ended up being easier than the G5 HSI I installed a year and a half ago (I believe it was revision 21 of the STC Install manual. Yes, latest is 28. Agreed, there is no requirement to retro the LPM into the previously installed HSI. The LPM had the diode built in, so one less thing to buy and install in the process.

The Skyhawk's IP had enough spacing between the DG and AI holes that modifying the holes weren't necessary.

It was a PITA, mostly because the serial cable from my GPS didn't have much slack to work with and I was cussing myself for not having more forethought to leave some length. IIRC, my concern at the time was to not leave TOO much wire and create a rats nest. But a foot extra would have been super and not have contributed to a mess.

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Back