G430W

drmax

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
drmax
I have a 9A with an older KLN89B. Curious as to if anyone has the 430 installed and using its display, or if you have it running to a separate display? If just the unit, is it sufficient? I don't really want to redo my entire pnl for a separate display. Wanting some thoughts. Thx, DM

I have a 9A with an older KLN89B. Curious as to if anyone has the 430 installed and using its display, or if you have it running to a separate display? If just the unit, is it sufficient? I don't really want to redo my entire pnl for a separate display. Wanting some thoughts. Thx, DM

You need, at least, a CDI that displays glide path and glide slope.

By display, I am assuming you mean course indicator. If you don't intend to use it for IFR, then you don't, it has one internal or you can just follow the purple line or the DTK vs. TRK numbers. If you want to fly IFR, you'll need a proper indicator. Are you replacing the KLN89? If so you can possibly use the same indicator.

There's potentially a requirement for a NAV/GPS annunciator. That would depend on how far off the center of the panel the GPS is installed.

By display, I am assuming you mean course indicator. If you don't intend to use it for IFR, then you don't, it has one internal or you can just follow the purple line or the DTK vs. TRK numbers. If you want to fly IFR, you'll need a proper indicator. Are you replacing the KLN89? If so you can possibly use the same indicator.

There's potentially a requirement for a NAV/GPS annunciator. That would depend on how far off the center of the panel the GPS is installed.

I have that already with 89b

So are you keeping the 89 or are you trying to add the 430 to it?

The 89B and the 430W are both designed to drive a HSI or resolver style indicator. Depending on what indicator you have, you may be able to connect it tot he 430W.
Again depending no where the 430 is mounted you may or may not need the annunciator.
I'm not certain as to what annunciator you have but if one is required, that may not fill the bill.
What you don't need that the older IFR GPS installations (I don't know about the 89) is the relay that switches the the indicator from the GPS to the NAV since the 430W does all that stuff internally to the unit.

What do you have for an indictor now? Is a stand alone CDI or an HSI? Does it have an OBS/Course indicator? Even if the indicator isn't compatible, I bet a mid-continent or one that's compatible with the garmin will fit in the same hole.

Trutrak a/p. B/K CFI. I imagine I "should" consider dumping the vacuum system and associated instruments, regrouping clutter and adding an efis. I personally don't want anything to do with attempting this mod even though is experimental. Be a small fortune tied up in labor but I want it done right.

Pics attempt

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 15
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 18
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 14
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I presume you're going to ditch the KX-155/165 as well? Is that a 165? Are you switching the sole CDI between the GPS and the 89? Which indictor.

Missed the fact that we're talking experimental here so you've got more leeway. Yeah, I'd either wire the CDI you've got to the 430 (if it will work or just put something like a mid-continent in if it needs to be changed). I'd not mess with the gyros until you're willing to take the plunge on some PFD type thing.

Putting the 430W in will give you a nicer map, etc... so I don't have any issues with ditching the NAV COM and the old GPS. Of course, if you play to install a new PFD/MFD you could just get by with an iPad and your choice of software for a while.

Just swap out the 89B for the 430 and you're good to go, although I'd consider moving the tach to the top of the panel and putting a second CDI in that spot so you'd have a CDI both for the 430 and the 155.

Just swap out the 89B for the 430 and you're good to go, although I'd consider moving the tach to the top of the panel and putting a second CDI in that spot so you'd have a CDI both for the 430 and the 155.

Or really go all out and put in an ASPEN in place of the DG and AI and have your CDI displays for both radios right there! :thumbsup:

He'd have to do some panel rework to do that. the 430 is 2/3" taller than the 89B. Of course, he could put in something like an SL-30 if he wanted to keep the #2 nav/com.

Is other option for the indictor is to pick up an (comparatively) inexpensive HSI (the unslaved century for example) and use that for one of the indicators.

Trutrak a/p. B/K CFI. I imagine I "should" consider dumping the vacuum system and associated instruments, regrouping clutter and adding an efis. I personally don't want anything to do with attempting this mod even though is experimental. Be a small fortune tied up in labor but I want it done right.
Just adding the 430w will give you the GPS approaches I assume you don't have now. I'm thinking that the Trutrak will give you GPSS steering that you may not have now. Just doing that will be a significant increase in IFR capability without disturbing the "6 pack".

You have roughly what I had in my old Maule sans A/P.

Now I fly a fully tricked out GRT EFIS with Trutrak and a G430w as the smarts and love it all. But I'm imagining that for IFR work, I would be very happy with your panel upgraded with the 430w without the whole EFIS thing.

Adding a G430w and an EFIS on top of what you have might be a bit kludgey, disruptive and $$$. Not sure you'd get your money's worth short of a complete overhaul.

Back