G430 WASS V GNS 355

n2230b

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
fast eddie
here’s the choice:

A. Replace collins nav com with GNS 355, ( loosing dual VOR/LOC redundancy)
Vs
B. Replace collins nav com with Factory refurbished G 430 WAAS GPS. With 1 year factory warrantee. (Keeping dual VOR/LOC).

Either the GNS 355 OR the G 430 WASS would be my only GPS.
The 430 WAAS option will cost additional $1000.00.

Could use opinions and observations please!

Thanks!

How many dual VOR approaches are you planning to fly? I have a 530/430 but if it were just dual VOR vs shiny new GPS, I would probably go shiny and new.

Let's see if I understand the parameters....
  • You want to replace a (possibly failing?) NAV/COM
  • You want to add GPS where none existed before
  • You fly out of Florida
  • You may have some concern about only having 1 NAV radio
Is there a budget? Is the IFD440 too much? Does it have to be Garmin? Are there panel space considerations?

Your assessment is correct. There are no panel mount issues. After much consideration i want to choose between the 2 options above and the budget is funded.

The 430W is a bigger screen, especially if you use track-up mode. However, it is low resolution and the unit could very well be 20 years old, even though newly refurbished. I would go with the GNC355 of those were my 2 options.

I was almost in the same scenario between the used 530W, 650 and IFD440. I elected to go with the GTN650. I really contemplated with wondering if I even needed a VOR any more. Essentially I paid $4k difference just for the VOR capability in the 650.

In your situation, I’d go with the 355. After using newer Garmin, the new GTN’s for exceed the older navigators.

I know the 375 has the Gamin BT (Connext). I think the 355 also has Connext that comes with it. This is equivalent to the $1200 FlightStream 210 you’d have to purchase for the 430W. If the 355 has it, that adds more value to the 355.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was almost in the same scenario between the used 530W, 650 and IFD440. I elected to go with the GTN650. I really contemplated with wondering if I even needed a VOR any more. Essentially I paid $4k difference just for the VOR capability in the 650.

In your situation, I’d go with the 355. After using newer Garmin, the new GTN’s for exceed the older navigators.

I know the 375 has the Gamin BT (Connext). I think the 355 also has Connext that comes with it. This is equivalent to the $1200 FlightStream 210 you’d have to purchase for the 430W. If the 355 has it, that adds more value to the 355.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
355 has connext

And for even more convenience, you can use the built-in Connext technology to stream information between GNC 355 and compatible Garmin portables and mobile devices running the Garmin Pilot or FltPlan Go apps. You can create flight plans at home and upload them at the airport. And you can stream GPS data, backup attitude information (from the built-in AHRS) as well as traffic and weather to your mobile device or Garmin portable, making them even more useful cockpit companions.²
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/689774#overview

If those were the only two options I’d also go 355.

This question is probably more for the @Jesse Saint of the world, but what's the labor cost delta for a GPS/COMM like the 355 versus a navigator-only like the GPS 175/GTN 625? Is it a significant step up in labor (aka double the labor hours or the like..)? . Have always heard that anything that either touches an audio panel or nav deviation head (or both as is the case for the 650/430 et al) makes the project blow up, but I've never seen an actual quote of the difference.

That really depends on the audio panel and what COM radio it is replacing. If you have a fairly modern digital audio panel, and are replacing a Com radio that has good wiring, then it's not that big of a deal to add the Com radio. No more than a couple of hundred dollars. If you have a modern audio panel with no Com that the 355 is replacing, then it's a little more complicated, but not much. If you have an old junky audio panel with wiring harnesses that time forgot, then it's a different animal altogether.

Any of the options you are mentioning will require and indicator ("nav deviation head") with glide slope. The benefit of the GPS Only (355, 625, 175, 375, 400W, etc) is that you don't need an indicator that will annunciate Nav/VLOC vs. GPS, so you can use a cheaper indicator like a KI206 or KI209 if you don't already have one. The 430 or 650 should get an indicator like the GI106A/B or MD-200-306/706, etc, or they will need a separate annunciator to show whether it is Nav or GPS. This difference is less of an issue if the navigator is in the normal field of view, but those requirements are fairly strict.

here’s the choice:

A. Replace collins nav com with GNS 355, ( loosing dual VOR/LOC redundancy)
Vs
B. Replace collins nav com with Factory refurbished G 430 WAAS GPS. With 1 year factory warrantee. (Keeping dual VOR/LOC).

Either the GNS 355 OR the G 430 WASS would be my only GPS.
The 430 WAAS option will cost additional $1000.00.

Could use opinions and observations please!

Thanks!
Let's see if I understand the parameters....
  • You want to replace a (possibly failing?) NAV/COM
  • You want to add GPS where none existed before
  • You fly out of Florida
  • You may have some concern about only having 1 NAV radio
Is there a budget? Is the IFD440 too much? Does it have to be Garmin? Are there panel space considerations?
This question is probably more for the @Jesse Saint of the world, but what's the labor cost delta for a GPS/COMM like the 355 versus a navigator-only like the GPS 175/GTN 625? Is it a significant step up in labor (aka double the labor hours or the like..)? . Have always heard that anything that either touches an audio panel or nav deviation head (or both as is the case for the 650/430 et al) makes the project blow up, but I've never seen an actual quote of the difference.

The position The new GPS will occupy is the top Collins NAV/COM spot in the radio stack. It will become the NAV COM #1 GPS only.

The G 355 will display glide slope and lateral guidance in my Bendix vac HSI and my G5 AI. The VOR/LOC will be displayed on a 2 needle indicator mounted just to the pilots side of the radio stack on the panel. Im trying to upload a pic but cant get the hang of it.

Back