G1000

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Folks, I am very happy to report that the local flight school of which I spoke either has revised their requirements for the G1000 transition, or I remembered them wrong. I think that this is more reasonable. I am appending the requirements below:

Summary of G1000 Checkout/Transition Training
For Private or Higher-Certificated Pilots

Minimum Private Pilot Certificate required for transition training. Aircraft may be used for primary Private Pilot training if so desired. All Training times listed are transition minimums and full flight privileges are ultimately proficiency based. Training does not include complex and/or high performance signoffs, although this training may be applied to those signoffs. Additional training may be required. Credit may be given for G1000 training acquired elsewhere on a case-by-case basis.

4 HOURS GROUND (VFR and IFR) (Mandatory before flight training)

2 hour video tape with instructor guidance (no charge)
1 hour simulator time (instructor rate: $45/hr)
1 hour Aircraft APU time w/instructor ($79/hr)

VFR: 4 HOURS DUAL AIR ($205/hr block; $210/hr regular)

Introduction/Familiarization 1.0 hr
VFR Scenario 2.0 hr
Emergency Procedures 1.0 hr

IFR: 6 HOURS DUAL AIR ($205/hr block; $210/hr regular)

Introduction/Familiarization 1.0 hr
VFR Scenario 2.0 hr
IFR Scenario 2.0 hr
Emergency Procedures 1.0 hr

There will also be an additional $10 photocopy/materials fee.

Satisfactory completion of the transition training will confer immediate flight privileges to the pilot who will also then be awarded directly from Cessna, a Certificate of Completion of the FITS Approved TAA (Technically Advanced Aircraft) Transition Training (certificate will arrive in 2 to 4 weeks).

Ben:
I can see this if one is starting from scratch. If one has time on this equipment or comparable Garmin stuff, there should be some manner in which it is considered.

I'm the kind of person that keeps working on things anyway. No doubt I would spend this time or more eventually. Just hate for it to be a dual thing from the beginning with no consideration for comparable experience.

Better than first proposed, at least.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Ben:
I can see this if one is starting from scratch. If one has time on this equipment or comparable Garmin stuff, there should be some manner in which it is considered.

I'm the kind of person that keeps working on things anyway. No doubt I would spend this time or more eventually. Just hate for it to be a dual thing from the beginning with no consideration for comparable experience.

Best,

Dave

Could just be a compromise from the insurance company.. :dunno:

Dave Siciliano said:
Ben:

Best,

Dave

Dave, It did say:
Credit may be given for G1000 training acquired elsewhere on a case-by-case basis.

RotaryWingBob said:
That doesn't seem unreasonable, Ben.
Well, that's why I posted it. For IFR it is 6/6 (not 8/8) which is a bit more reasonable. The standardization may be due to the fact that it is a FITS standard transition training dealie thing.

The problems which remain are that it is still six hours I could spend towards training for a certificate (maybe 1/3rd or 1/2 of the way to a multi or comm). Then, the C182 is still too expensive.

Like I say, though, I do really like the professionalism of this flight school, so I will continue to rent from them as long as they have something for me. Next week I am going to get recurrent in their TB-20. But when my CFI gets that 6-seater, he'll probably get the bulk of my business. (I see him once a month for refresher training, anyway.)

spiderweb said:
Folks, I am very happy to report that the local flight school of which I spoke either has revised their requirements for the G1000 transition, or I remembered them wrong. I think that this is more reasonable.

Those training requirements don't seem unreasonable, but HOLY MOLEY! $205 for a Cessna 172? I'm paying $125 for C172 G1000 I rent, and that's the NON-block rate; Block it's more like $118. WET.

Move to Texas, Ben!! :)

P.S.--How can I get one of your CD's? I heard somebody else say that they have your CD.

BTW, the cockpit user guide for the G1000, as well as the operating manual for the MFD, BFD and radio control can be downloaded from Garmin for free. That's how I got checked out in the G1000, download, print and read. I have no use for the Cessna Pilot Center material which costs $250 to buy, for prep. $250 in materials for the priviledge of renting an aircraft that costs $25 per hour more? No thanks.

I was able to walk into the cockpit on my checkout and was fairly comfortable with the equipment after my hard reading of 300 pages of manual. Most IR pilots, particularly those familiar with the G430/530 series, could easily do the same.

Jim G

Troy Whistman said:
Those training requirements don't seem unreasonable, but HOLY MOLEY! $205 for a Cessna 172? I'm paying $125 for C172 G1000 I rent, and that's the NON-block rate; Block it's more like $118. WET.

Move to Texas, Ben!! :)

P.S.--How can I get one of your CD's? I heard somebody else say that they have your CD.
It isn't $205 for a C172. Did I type that? It is $175 for a C182T with glass. The old one was $150 for a C182S. The C172S are actually reasonably priced at $125. The problem is they don't serve my purposes.

Thanks for the interest in the CDs! Please go to www.geminipianotrio.com/flash for more information. They used to be available on Amazon, but I think they are sold out. I think my violinist can get you one. His website is www.shengverve.com.

spiderweb said:
It isn't $205 for a C172. Did I type that? It is $175 for a C182T with glass. The old one was $150 for a C182S. The C172S are actually reasonably priced at $125. The problem is they don't serve my purposes.

Thanks for the interest in the CDs! Please go to www.geminipianotrio.com/flash for more information. They used to be available on Amazon, but I think they are sold out. I think my violinist can get you one. His website is www.shengverve.com.

Thanks, Ben, for the link to your CD. I love the cello, used to play violin and viola in orchestra, but the cello has such a sweet tone.

I see where I went wrong on the rate:

Ben said:
VFR: 4 HOURS DUAL AIR ($205/hr block; $210/hr regular)

That was the DUAL rate for the 182, not the solo rate for the 172.

Can't one do the G1000 training in a G1000 172 at the lower rate? There's no significant difference between a G1000 in a 172 and a G1000 in a 182, and you're already 182-qualified from an airframe/propulsion standpoint.

Ron Levy said:
Can't one do the G1000 training in a G1000 172 at the lower rate? There's no significant difference between a G1000 in a 172 and a G1000 in a 182, and you're already 182-qualified from an airframe/propulsion standpoint.

Good point Ron. I'd hope they'd allow that! I was able to do a simple checkout (at an FBO I'd never been to before) on a G1000 182 on the basis of having lots of 182 time and having a little G1000 time, none of which was in a 182.

There are some procedural differences between the manufacturers in terms of emergency and preflight procedures, but I don't think there's really much difference at all in the 172/182 installations. In fact, I think Garmin has a single manual for both the 172 and 182.

Ron Levy said:
Yes, and that would save money. That was the only way I would have done it, too. The problem is that the C172 is not useful for most of my flying (except for solo practice), and even the C182 is really too small. Thus, I still have to chose between the $175 C182T or the $195 TB-20. Between the two, I'm taking the Trinidad.

Oh, and BTW, I see that the glass C172s are $135, while the traditional ones are $125. All of the traditional ones, with one exception, are the 160-hp R-models. The glass Skyhawks are 180-hp S-models. There is one traditional 180 hp S-model.

Doing some more research, I see that their three PA-28s are all traditional. I wonder why no one is pushing them away.

Back