G1000

Texastaildragger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
Got to fly my first Glass cockpit today for an hour.Talk about sensory overload. It did everything but tell me what this weeks lotto numbers were.
Heard about two guys flying into a mountain in VFR with one. Now I see why.:yikes:

Got to fly my first Glass cockpit today for an hour.Talk about sensory overload. It did everything but tell me what this weeks lotto numbers were.
Heard about two guys flying into a mountain in VFR with one. Now I see why.:yikes:

You must not have pressed the lotto soft key. Didn't you see it? :D

Have yet to fly one. Hopefully some day.

David

Did you find the HBO page?

Both of these upgrades are in version 5.563.

David

Did you find the HBO page?

I literally have over 1000 hours behind a G1000...they really are the heat...the GFC700 AP is one of Garmin's best products....

I did today as well. You're right, sensory overload. There is a lot of information on those two screens.

I think (hope) we're in a valley where the complexity of these systems has peaked.

I had a friend showing off his Perspective Cirrus to me. I was quite lost, but after 30 hours or so he seemed to have it down.

Until we went to shoot an ILS and it did not capture the glideslope. Probably for a good reason - some button not getting pushed in exactly the right sequence - or something.

I hope soon we'll have a Siri type interface, where you can just tell the damn thing what you want to do and it will do it.

I got checked out in a C172 SP with a G1000 recently. What really helped me prepare were

Cessna NAVIII Trainer v12.00
- runs on windows platform, has PFD and MFD for dual monitor setup.
- can "fly" flights using control devices like joystick, ch pro, etc.
- $25 or so
- it helped me a lot!

Simionic Simulator for Garmin G1000
- iPad platform
- only has the PFD
- ~$10
- great when I wasn't near a PC.

in flight the G1000 was 'captivating'. VFR flight in a busy weekend so the traffic forced me to keep my eyes away from the G1000. Otherwise, I would've been tempted to just fly the G1000 instead of flying the plane (yes, very bad). I told my instructor I needed a copilot to do the "buttonology" and fly the menus while I would fly the plane.

Anyways, the applications above helped me a lot before the checkout flight.

This one had traffic alert as well - kind of neat.

I think the G1000 would spoil me so I now alternate rentals between it and another C172 with the steam gauges (that model also has greater useful load).

P.S. what airplane did u fly with the G1000?

I got checked out in a C172 SP with a G1000 recently. What really helped me prepare were

Cessna NAVIII Trainer v12.00
- runs on windows platform, has PFD and MFD for dual monitor setup.
- can "fly" flights using control devices like joystick, ch pro, etc.
- $25 or so
- it helped me a lot!

Simionic Simulator for Garmin G1000
- iPad platform
- only has the PFD
- ~$10
- great when I wasn't near a PC.

in flight the G1000 was 'captivating'. VFR flight in a busy weekend so the traffic forced me to keep my eyes away from the G1000. Otherwise, I would've been tempted to just fly the G1000 instead of flying the plane (yes, very bad). I told my instructor I needed a copilot to do the "buttonology" and fly the menus while I would fly the plane.

Anyways, the applications above helped me a lot before the checkout flight.

This one had traffic alert as well - kind of neat.

I think the G1000 would spoil me so I now alternate rentals between it and another C172 with the steam gauges (that model also has greater useful load).

P.S. what airplane did u fly with the G1000?

I flew a new C172 also. Messed around with the NavIII trainer but that went out the window as soon as I taxied out. I looked like a cow staring at a new gate. Guy who showed it to me has around 100 hours on it. I will be taking a course Fo Sho:yes:

I fly the g1000 an love it. With the gfc700 autopilot it's hard to beat. I do think if you learned on steam gauges it takes time to feel comfortable and confident with it. It probably took me 60 hours or better before i understood most of the things it will do. I still fly steam gauges also but feel much safer with the glass. Going to be flying glass tomorrow on a 1000 mile cross country. Looking forward to it.

ive only flown in a g1000 172 a couple of times vfr and i loved it. that being said i would be tempted to look inside more than outside which is dangerous, like someone mentioned above. even for ifr i like to have the 6 pack with just a 430. its a great tool but should be used cautiously

I trained primarily in a G1000 C172, and now only rent/fly it, and got caught up early in the "staring at the screens" instead of out the window issue , but now ( and its a subconscious thing) I glance at the screens to see what i need and then back out.

I think its a factor of knowing where to look at the screen for the information you want at that point in time. I always fly with a gopro in the cockpit and watching my eye focus from my early flight to now is a huge difference. I didn't even realize i was doing it.

Lots of stuff available at all times and I know I'm only scratching the surface of what it can do. Learning every flight.

We own a G1000 equipped DA40. I did my PPL training on steam gauges but purposefully trained on G1000 for IR knowing that we were going to buy a DA40. I wouldn't suggest that flying IFR is easy with the G1000 but having flown a few hours IFR on steam while in training, the G1000 is easier for me than the former, so much so that I took the advice of my CFII after earning the rating two years ago to file IFR on every flight that involves two airports with the exception of instrument currency and stick and rudder practice. I now have more IFR hours than VFR (not to be confused with IMC and VMC) and feel far more comfortable flying "in the system" than I do VFR, a comfort that I attribute to the G1000. Maybe I'd feel the same about a steam panel if I had trained that way. Dunno.

I loved the flight I took in a G1000 C-172. Better than most airliners I've flown.

I have about 25 hours in DA-40 G1000. Thing is definitely neat. Not a Garmin autopilot, but works good enough.

It took a bit of getting used to, and remembering which knobs to turn. For example, alt setting. I kept looking for Baro wheel but kept missing it for some reason. While in steam setup, it is right there, on the instrument itself.

Other than that, TIS is a welcome feature. Thanks to that I found out that I had a helicopter following me VERY close behind (100 feet or so), without as much as peep from him on the radio. And TIS can get chatty in a very high traffic area, like Hudson SFRA.

Edit: I let a friend of mine, who used to be Aeroflot captain, fly in G1000 cockpit. He said that if he had it on his Tupolev TU154, he would have much less grey hairs.

I have three 172SP's available to me, one with G1000 the other two with Steam Gauges, when I was first checked out in the G1000, I was thinking "heck, way too much info to take in, I'm comfortable with the Steam Gauges" , but the more I flew the G1000 the more I wanted to learn the panel, now I find myself flying the G1000 more than the steam panel planes. Still very much a novice with all the associated stuff in there, but enjoying learning something new each flight.

When new to the Glass panel, it does take a lot more personal discipline to remember ...."look outside, peek inside the airplane" !

Perhaps their engine crapped out in the soup and their autopilot flew them into the side of a mountain while they watched it happen on the G1000.

David

Didn't you read the caveat, tho:

" ... in exchange for providing a winning Lotto Number, Garmin hates to inform you that you will have to deal with 'The Blue Screen of Death' until reset by a qualified Avionics Maintenance Technician with a verified authorization number from Garmin ... "

;)

Other than that, TIS is a welcome feature. Thanks to that I found out that I had a helicopter following me VERY close behind (100 feet or so), without as much as peep from him on the radio

Could it have been a TIS reflection, or mistaken display of your own aircraft? I've had that occasionally and it's scared the bejeesus out of me the first time... when TIS displayed another aircraft right at my position. No other aircraft was actually there, but it was a false alarm displayed by TIS. It seems to happen when making steep turns the most.

I fly at DA-40 with a G1000 and a KAP140. After some 100 hrs with the G1000, the "look at the screen" wow factor has dissipated and it has become a tool - an excellent tool!

And particularly for approaches in IMC - much easier than steam gauges. There is a 50% share of a nice Mooney available at our field but I could not imagine giving up new technology.

Anybody have a screen shot of the G1000 in flight? Maybe flying an approach, I would like to compare it to the experimental version (G3X).

I don't know if I have one on an approach (I'm usually too busy for pictures), but here is a PFD and MFD in flight:

Attachments

• Cessna21K.jpg
    Cessna21K.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Cessna21KMFD.jpg
    Cessna21KMFD.jpg
    951.6 KB · Views: 13
Back