G1000 X-Bus Breaker Pops when the alternator switch is turned on

gwilbur1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
gwilbur
I have a 2006 T182T Skylane with the G1000.

Just had an annual inspection completed; as part of the inspection the mechanic replaced the x-bus 5amp breaker. When i got the plane back, the x-bus breaker started popping on Startup. The avionics completely boot successfully on startup if i do not turn on the alternator. The x-bus breaker pops immediately after i turn on the alternator switch.

One of my pilot friends has a theory that the standby battery cells may be weak and possibly shorted.

Any one have other ideas what this might be?

Why was the breaker replaced?

Assuming everything else looks Ok my first guess Would be that the new breaker is bad. They are easy to test but may be not so easy to remove for testing.

The breaker was replaced because the initial breaker had a mechanical problem; the white part of the breaker would fall out...and we could push it back in to correct it. It never popped as this one does.

Taking it out would be a pain...yes, because the panel is easy enough, but there is a plastic cover held on by straps that would have to be removed also.

If it was working before you replaced the breaker, and now is not, my guess is that either the breaker is bad or wired incorrectly.

If it was working before you replaced the breaker, and now is not, my guess is that either the breaker is bad or wired incorrectly.

Or the guy put the wrong breaker in.

Dan

Take it back for a no charge repair. If you trust the mech that screwed it up to fix his work.

Back