G1000 VFR training recommendations

Jason608

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason608
Hi everyone
I now have access to a G1000 airplane and need the training.
I'm going to take a 2 hour in person ground class followed by a checkout/CFI training.

What do you recommend for home VFR G1000 training?
Jeppesen and Sportys are on the iPad, are either of those good?
I'm not really sure what to expect, since I'm VFR how much training is needed?

Thoughts?

Much to be said about the Max Trescott books.

I just plugged the plane into a GPU, sat down with the manual and played with it, worked fine for me for VMC/IMC ops

I just plugged the plane into a GPU, sat down with the manual and played with it, worked fine for me for VMC/IMC ops

...said the guy with a bazillion hours...:D

I'll second Max Trescott's book...I have owned two G1000 aircraft and logged over 1100 hours in them...Max's book taught or reinforced something new every time I read it.

I took the King's course as well...it is a great resource.

Garmin has a simulator. It's not free, but it's essential.

GPUs are nice for setting frequencies, but the flight plan experience is different when you're moving.

Frankly, the best trainer I had for G1000 was a Garmin 430.

Max's books are excellent and if you want to go the reading route, you won't find a better textbook. As far as learning from ground power or even a sim, that sounds great in theory, but doesn't work well in practice. It's like trying to learn a foreign language from a dictionary.

Max's books are excellent and if you want to go the reading route, you won't find a better textbook. As far as learning from ground power or even a sim, that sounds great in theory, but doesn't work well in practice. It's like trying to learn a foreign language from a dictionary.
If you plug it in and have an instructor who knows the G1000 system it helps.

I'm sure the books and courses offered up here are great, so I am not intending to slight them in any way.

I used a combination of the G1000 Pilots Guide, Cockpit Reference Guide, G1000 Simulator(free download as of three weeks ago) and various Youtube videos. With previous 430 experience I picked it up pretty rapidly. In my humble opinion, just playing around with the simulator and muscle memorizing where to find stuff is one of the bigger hurdles. Once you know where to find stuff, I find the rest to be fairly intuitive personally.

Last edited:
The biggest thing is cranking on the knobs. Know which knob and which direction to crank is the biggest thing. Its hard to replicate without a real sim with a g1000 or without time in the plane. Clicking a mouse to turn the knobs doesn't quit develop the muscle memory and the fluidity that is a Garmin GPS.

Jeppesen and Sportys are on the iPad, are either of those good?

I used the Jeppesen G1000 course on the Ipad before I bought my previous G1000 equipped Cenna. I still look back on it from time to time to help remember certain things now flying a perspective Cirrus (basically the same thing as the G1000). The course is a little pricey, but I would recommend it.

I'm sure the books and courses offered up here are great, so I am not intending to slight them in any way.

I used a combination of the G1000 Pilots Guide, Cockpit Reference Guide, G1000 Simulator(free download as of three weeks ago)

Do you have a link to the free G1000 Simulator? I can only find the purchased versions.

Here is a link reviewing some of the G1000 training options.

URL

The biggest thing is cranking on the knobs. Know which knob and which direction to crank is the biggest thing. Its hard to replicate without a real sim with a g1000 or without time in the plane. Clicking a mouse to turn the knobs doesn't quit develop the muscle memory and the fluidity that is a Garmin GPS.

Yup, if you know what a HSI does, RMI, OBS, transponder, etc, it's just learning where to go to access each feature, like jumping into a new car, sure you could spend money on a class, or just sit down with the manual and the car and learn where trunk release is, your old car had one on the floor, new one has a button, not a new concept just a new location. :dunno:

Yup, if you know what a HSI does, RMI, OBS, transponder, etc, it's just learning where to go to access each feature, like jumping into a new car, sure you could spend money on a class, or just sit down with the manual and the car and learn where trunk release is, your old car had one on the floor, new one has a button, not a new concept just a new location. :dunno:

Amen:)

Everyone, thanks for the advice.
After working with a couple different G1000 sims, watching a few videos and going through the two manuals this is a lot less intimidating than expected. I'm not going to buy a class at this point, just read the manuals, sit in the plane and work with the CFI.

Everyone, thanks for the advice.
After working with a couple different G1000 sims, watching a few videos and going through the two manuals this is a lot less intimidating than expected. I'm not going to buy a class at this point, just read the manuals, sit in the plane and work with the CFI.

:yes: :yes:

Back