G1000 Transition Training Packages VFR & IFR - Any Recommendations?

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Ref Subject. I don't want to mess around and wind up in a granite cloud.

It's worth the price of a cross country if it's really good stuff.

I just don't know what is ad hyperbole and what might be real.

Thanks,

If you have any experience with the 430/530 it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I bought the simulator from Garmin and it was really helpful. If you have dual monitors you can see the PDF & MFD at the same time. It will also let you fail different systems.

I can't comment on any of the more formal courses as I've never used them.

Ref Subject. I don't want to mess around and wind up in a granite cloud.

It's worth the price of a cross country if it's really good stuff.

I just don't know what is ad hyperbole and what might be real.

Thanks,

I transitioned from round gauges and KLN94 to G1000. You can save lots of money by studying on the ground. Air time and ground time was about 5 hours. It's intuitive.

See if they'll let you sit in the plane with a GPU so you can have the real button experience.

I did go for my first flight in a G1000 equipped airplane today.

A little background:

I try to get in at least one simulated instrument flight a month to stay current (and marginally proficient). I use the local CFIs for safety pilots. I just transitioned to a piper Arrow, but when we went up to fly approaches a week or so ago, we had problems with the Nav receivers, so my IFR flight turned it into a maneuvers training flight.

After that flight, I decided I need to get to where I can take the G1000 airplanes up for upcoming vacation X-country flights which is how this all got started.

When I went to the airport today, I was expecting to do some basic G1000 VFR work. Well, the CFI said, lets just file and fly a few approaches, you already know the G530.

We were under 2000 broken, just on the edge of clear sky with a lot of post hurricane turbulence and a good cross wind.

I have to say it was one of the most challenging flights I've been on in a while. My radio work went down the tubes when my brain exploded.

I learned how to interpret the glide slope and rate of turn symbols in flight on the first approach and under some duress, but it went fairly well, all things considered.

We never really got the the expected PFD display for following the VOR to intercept the IAF on the ILS either. The weather cleared while we were up, but I didn't notice.

I really appreciate being pushed under safe conditions though. What a great flight. I love trying to do hard stuff. I still need to go through it all and take it apart at a rational pace, but it was a hoot.

I highly recommend the you get the G1000 simulator from Garmin. But don't just buy a random one from their site that says that it's for your plane. Give them a call and tell them exactly what equipment you have on board and find out the exact version of the software that you need. This way it will be exactly like what you have in the plane.

I did go for my first flight in a G1000 equipped airplane today.

When I went to the airport today, I was expecting to do some basic G1000 VFR work. Well, the CFI said, lets just file and fly a few approaches, you already know the G530.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised that your CFI didn't spend any time on the ground with you going over the systems and giving you at least a once over with the buttonology. Jumping straight into a G1000 with no real prep may be fun, but, IMHO, is an inefficient way to learn the system. Do yourself a favor and do some homework first.

There are a lot of ways you can prep if your CFI isn't going to do it. Max Trescott has an excellent book at www.G1000book.com. If reading is your preferred learning mode, problem solved. There are also a number of online training courses. My own is at www.Garmin1000.com. Price is just $39 and there is a 100% money back guarantee of your satisfaction - even if you've completed the entire course.

I highly recommend the you get the G1000 simulator from Garmin. But don't just buy a random one from their site that says that it's for your plane. Give them a call and tell them exactly what equipment you have on board and find out the exact version of the software that you need. This way it will be exactly like what you have in the plane.

I know very little of the G1000 so my question is: What differences could or would there be between different airplanes with a G1000?

Thanks,

David

I know very little of the G1000 so my question is: What differences could or would there be between different airplanes with a G1000?

Most installations are very similar. About the only things that change are the location of the standby instruments and the obvious engine monitoring differences.

Newer versions may have the GFC700 (flight director/autopilot) on the left of both bezels, or only on the left of the MFD. Older versions may have the KAP 140 autopilot.

Some aircraft will include different options such as the com loop, DME, weather, etc., so a bit of familiarization may be needed when you jump from one airplane to the next.

Pretty much, if you are proficient in the G1000 for one aircraft, you'll know it for all aircraft.

Thanks,

David

The basics are the same so if your familiar with one it will be easy to familiarize yourself with the other, but there are differences.
Your aircraft may or may not have the following equipment witch will make the G1000 a little different:
SVT
Autopilot (GFC700 will make a significant difference)
XM Weather
ADS-B Weather
AFD
Cirrus Perspective (significant difference)
and different versions of the software

Here are a few pictures I took while flying with the G1000:

DA40:
img6213m.jpg

DA42 NG:
imag0498h.jpg

SR20 G3:
img6911b.jpg

imag0420r.jpg

Last edited:
I like that alphanumeric keypad... My G1000 implementation doesn't have it, so have to do the twist and press method to spell out the waypoints.

I like that alphanumeric keypad... My G1000 implementation doesn't have it, so have to do the twist and press method to spell out the waypoints.

The keypad is nice but I really don't like that whole panel. First thing is that it's a pain in the *** in turbulence and second is that they put everything in the wrong spot. When switching radios you type out the frequency with the FMS knob (FMS knob has too much work to do), the frequency number changes on top of the PFD, and then when you have to activate the com your com panel is all the way on the bottom. The normal G1000 is much more ergonomic.
The altitude knob only changes 100s of feet, not 1000s, so it takes a while if you want to go high.
The flight plan buttons on the PFD only control the PFD, if you want to have the flight plan show on the MFD as well you need to type it on the center console.

Wish they would have just added the new stuff without removing the original buttons.

I really like how it has 2 AHRS though.

Last edited:

It saves loads of time.

The keypad is nice but I really don't like that whole panel. First thing is that it's a pain in the *** in turbulence and second is that they put everything in the wrong spot. When switching radios you type out the frequency with the FMS knob (FMS knob has too much work to do), the frequency number changes on top of the PFD, and then when you have to activate the com your com panel is all the way on the bottom. The normal G1000 is much more ergonomic.
The altitude knob only changes 100s of feet, not 1000s, so it takes a while if you want to go high.
The flight plan buttons on the PFD only control the PFD, if you want to have the flight plan show on the MFD as well you need to type it on the center console.

Wish they would have just added the new stuff without removing the original buttons.

I really like how it has 2 AHRS though.

Disagree. After two years in a standard G1000, the move to the Perspective was very welcome. Almost everything fits to hand, and the intelligent design ensures your right hand is never more than inches from the key power controls.

Almost everything fits to hand, and the intelligent design ensures your right hand is never more than inches from the key power controls.

Same with most other planes. Because most aircraft do not have that huge Cirrus center console, the G1000 is right next to the power levers. In the Cirrus in order not to have the G1000 controls very far from the power levers they moved all the controls down. So I wouldn't say that the Cirrus has an advantage in that.

The center console certainly had it's advantages, but I personally prefer the standard G1000.

Last edited:
Same with most other planes. Because most aircraft do not have that huge Cirrus center console, the G1000 is right next to the power levers. In the Cirrus in order not to have the G1000 controls very far from the power levers they moved all the controls down. So I wouldn't say that the Cirrus has an advantage in that.

The center console certainly had it's advantages, but I personally prefer the standard G1000.

To each his own, I guess. I find having to tune frequencies on the actual panel is not as convenient, and if there is any turb, it takes even longer than the twisting of knobs already extends time.

But heck, here we are "complaining" about which amazing system is slightly better than the other! Both are sure a lot better than flying round gauges in hard IFR. Glad I learnt that way, but also glad I have SVT, FLIR, traffic, etc. in real IFR flying now!

I recently had to go pickup a plane in Florida that had a G1000 panel. I had never flown behind one, but did have some Dynon SkyView time. I took Max Trescott's G1000 CD-rom course with me (VFR & IFR) and went through the whole thing once on my airline flight back to FL. I got in the plane and had no problem figuring everything out. I did have some trial and error figuring out the autopilot but once I did, I was amazed at how simple it was.

But heck, here we are "complaining" about which amazing system is slightly better than the other! Both are sure a lot better than flying round gauges in hard IFR. Glad I learnt that way, but also glad I have SVT, FLIR, traffic, etc. in real IFR flying now!

Right

To each his own, I guess. I find having to tune frequencies on the actual panel is not as convenient, and if there is any turb, it takes even longer than the twisting of knobs already extends time.

Spoiled! :rofl:

David

The manual itself is actually pretty good too. I personally think it is better than the Trescott book. I know, I know, nobody ever reads the manual...

The manual itself is actually pretty good too. I personally think it is better than the Trescott book. I know, I know, nobody ever reads the manual...

Yeah, the G1000 manuals are pretty good and have much better graphics. Max's book is a little more conversational and probably easier to read from that aspect.

Yeah, the G1000 manuals are pretty good and have much better graphics. Max's book is a little more conversational and probably easier to read from that aspect.
Unfortunately G1000 manuals I looked at are huge in word count and may indeed have better graphics but I would never recommend them as a method to learn the G1000. Max's book is vastly superior (IMHO) because it presents you with the 'logic' behind many operations, shows common pitfalls, shows shortcuts, shows different methods accomplishing the same goal and it avoids constant repetition of the manual that makes you lose the sight of what's really important. And it does all that in much more concise format because it is not written like a phone book but actually a lot of thought went into structuring its format. Frankly I don't think there is much competition between these sources but they may complement each other to some degree.

Last edited:
I'm thinking bout learning the G1000. Do you need a yoke to use the Garmin s/w?

Can I get away with just getting FSX to learn the G1000 or should I buy the Garmin s/w?

Last edited:
I'm thinking bout learning the G1000. Do you need a yoke to use the Garmin software?

No, you can fly it using the GFC 700 FMS/Autopilot. I will say that if you just go in there futzing around at random with the sim, you'll probably have problems (unless you're already glass-fluent).

I'm thinking bout learning the G1000. Do you need a yoke to use the Garmin s/w?

Can I get away with just getting FSX to learn the G1000 or should I buy the Garmin s/w?

You don't need a yoke, you can use the keyboard or the autopilot (if you get one with the autopilot).

I do not recommend using FSX because you need to make sure that the G1000 you download for FSX is accurate, but you can't do that if your not familiar with the G1000.

Just to update the thread on the actions I took to transition to the G1000.

My objective is to transition to G1000 sufficient for VFR/IFR proficiency by the end of the month. That's so I have access to the 172 or maybe the 182 for a M01 - BVY cross country.

I'd never fly low IFR, typically I make one simulated IAP flight in a month.

1 - I bought the Kings Video

Yes it's expensive, yes maybe not all needed right now, but it will cover everything, I can rename and review the videos in the future, which I continue to do with prev Kings training videos.

I went through King DVD Private & Instrument training courses and I know they will not skip a beat. It will not be fun to really learn the nitty gritty detailed stuff. I believe most worthwhile training is not fun or sexy, the results can be though.

I watched the first 5 videos and I'm not disappointed so far.

2 - I bought the Mindstar G1000 add in for Microsoft FSX. (another $40) The standard FSX G1000 is way too limited. It doesn't even let you tune the second radio. Knobology is clunky to nonexistant.

Based on my first 2 G1000 flight experiences, I need to overcome basic instrument interpretation issues.

Before flying G1000 VFR again, I will fly basic IFR climb and descent training patterns in my MS FSX flight sim, until I don't have to think about my airspeed & pitch relationships.

I also plan to sim approaches, particularly outbound on a radial to intercept a ILS IF. The built in G100 sim cannot do that, hopefully the Mindstar will.

The two G1000 equipped airplanes operated by the local FBO are my my first choice for cross country flying over the next year or so. The plane I hope to buy in the near future is a Citabria for basic acrobatics, but occasionally I do want to travel with friends.

Thanks for all the good suggestions though. I believe, in the long run my up front training costs will save me rental hours and give me something close to proficiency.

I also plan to sim approaches, particularly outbound on a radial to intercept a ILS IF. The built in G100 sim cannot do that, hopefully the Mindstar will.
I would like to find out how good the Mindstar is.
Is it capable of GPS/WAAS approaches?
Can it properly load/activate approaches with all the phases correctly annunciated at the top - this in my opinion is the key strength of G1000. Can it do the same for missed approaches? Can it fly procedure turns, holding patterns (coupled or not)? How about vertical navigation? I am using G1000 Garmin trainer which of course can do all the above. I have been to Mindstar's website many times in the past and their features list is a bit fuzzy in my opinion, could not find direct answers to these questions.

Last edited:
I would like to find out how good the Mindstar is.
Is it capable of GPS/WAAS approaches?
Can it properly load/activate approaches with all the phases correctly annunciated at the top - this in my opinion is the key strength of G1000. Can it do the same for missed approaches? Can it fly procedure turns, holding patterns (coupled or not)? How about vertical navigation? I am using G1000 Garmin trainer which of course can do all the above. I have been to Mindstar's website many times in the past and their features list is a bit fuzzy in my opinion, could not find direct answers to these questions.

Haven't got to that point yet. I know most of the local GPS approaches in MS FSX sim are GPS overlay and don't look like current charts. Usually, I don't simulate RNAV approaches because of that and they are the easiest too.

I like how the Mindstar knobs, work. It does allow me to tune both local VORs MEM & GQE and each goes green when I sequence the CDI through the NAV1 NAV2 needles. I did find I could change viewing settings in MFD too.

I did use it today, but not for approaches. I was trying to just get used to simulating constant airspeed and constant rate climb, descend, heading, patterns.

It took me awhile to figure out how to make something worthwhile out this old practice handout I have. It probably worked with a higher performance airplane. No way to get the 172 in the sim to climb above 8600ft at 400 fpm 75 kts. Worked OK at 3000ft though. It took me an hour to figure that out.

So far, I really don't like flying with all of the vertical ribbons, boxes with incrementing numbers, and pointers sliding up and down on each side of the attitude indicator. I just have to think something better is possible from a human factors standpoint.

The MFD is great, I'd rather have a simulated 6 pack on the left.

I spend a lot of time rebooting every time I run MS FSX too. Beyond clearing the desk and setting up my yoke, It's very slow to load. I fantasize about upgrading the HDD to a SSD, but I don't really want to rebuild it all. Still, I've been using it. I'm too used to using old junk computers.

I used to love fiddling with computers, now it's all just computer hell. We were marginal VFR for visibility this morning so I canceled my flight and practiced inside. In the airplane, I would have practiced Lazy 8s anyway.

G1000 is not a factor when I can look out the window. It's just that I sometimes find myself wondering if I should be moving the pointer to the bug or the bug to the pointer. In the end I wind up just looking at the number and picking my pitch from my knowledge of the airspeed pitch relationship.

I had hoped it would be more intuitive than that.

I just have to think something better is possible from a human factors standpoint.
If there were anything better no doubt would have been invented by now. Boeings, Airbuses, etc all do have those vertical ribbons but there is nothing wrong in preferring your typical 6-pack arrangement. I still return however to my main point that I have my doubts whether Mindstar is a suitable tool to be learning G1000, no doubt it is good enough to learn VFR usage (and in VFR it is just another moving map app) but I would be very cautious with IFR. G1000 is such a phenomenal tool for IFR flying and when you see what is is a capable of and how complex the software is you realize whether anyone in the entertainment industry would be able to approach it even close. I consider Max Trescott to be a real G1000 guru (wrote books, lessons, etc) and he doesn't mention Mindstar even once.

Last edited:
Back