G1000 Standby DB error

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
Has anyone had experience with getting a PFD and MFD standby db error after updating the active data base to the current one? If so, do you know how to get the standby DB to be correct? Any discussion on the difference between the standby DB and the active DB?

Thanks!

Has anyone had experience with getting a PFD and MFD standby db error after updating the active data base to the current one? If so, do you know how to get the standby DB to be correct? Any discussion on the difference between the standby DB and the active DB?

Thanks!

Do you have version 0563.26 of the software? It is the one that does the cross fill of the databases?

Reference:

http://www.ga112.org/documents-libseniors/N493CP-SEB-34-02.pdf

Yes, I just upgraded to 563.26. I'll go look at your link.

Yes, I just upgraded to 563.26. I'll go look at your link.

No need for the link since you know what software version you have.

Are you putting the update card in the PFD upper slot, then both master and avionics on together?

That is suppose to allow a cross fill update, but I have still had problems. I got around it by updating the databases on both PFD and MFD the old way vs. relying on a cross fill. I do the master on, with update card in, update, move card to MFD, Avionics on, update, remove card, master and avionics off, startup checklist.

I believe the error is because now instead of two disparate copies of the data you have a primary (PFD) and backup (MFD). When you update from the PFD if the MFD doesn't take the update then you have a database version error since you have two different versions now.

Basically, you update the PFD the way you normally do, then pull the SD card out completely (don't move it to the MFD) and fire them both up. Go to the MFD Aux/System Status page and you will see "MFD Syncing... XX%". When is it 100% you are done.

Basically leave em both on for about 3 minutes and the databases will cross-sync automatically. I think it's neat, but the SD card was quicker before, and I hate watching the 8 amp draw on the batt bus :)

Tripped me up a few times before I realized what it was doing.

Basically, you update the PFD the way you normally do, then pull the SD card out completely (don't move it to the MFD) and fire them both up. Go to the MFD Aux/System Status page and you will see "MFD Syncing... XX%". When is it 100% you are done.

Basically leave em both on for about 3 minutes and the databases will cross-sync automatically. I think it's neat, but the SD card was quicker before, and I hate watching the 8 amp draw on the batt bus :)

Tripped me up a few times before I realized what it was doing.

Maybe that's why it only sometimes works for me, I'm not waiting long enough.

Thanks.

I did not realize that the update procedure had changed. Somehow, I think I got the new database into both standby and active, which gave me an error. I had to go back and load the prior DB into the standby and when I did that errors went away. This was a few days before the new DB became active. At that point, I thought all was good. That is until the new DB actually became effective. That is when I get this new error.

So, it sounds like the standby should be loaded with any new DB and the active DB should be loaded with the current DB. Does this sound correct?

I did not realize that the update procedure had changed. Somehow, I think I got the new database into both standby and active, which gave me an error. I had to go back and load the prior DB into the standby and when I did that errors went away. This was a few days before the new DB became active. At that point, I thought all was good. That is until the new DB actually became effective. That is when I get this new error.

So, it sounds like the standby should be loaded with any new DB and the active DB should be loaded with the current DB. Does this sound correct?

Yup. What is really annoying is most of Garmin's manuals are out of date for this. I found one for Cessna NavIII that had the directions, but I can't find it at the moment (and Garmin's CDN is serving errors, lame) -- but pages 90-92 of the King Air 200 manual have the new DB sync procedure. This is the same as the G1000 in our Cessna 172, so hopefully works for you:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G100...B200CockpitReferenceGuide_0985.02orlater_.pdf

If I find a proper GA one with the new DB Sync features, I'll link ya up. :)

Here's one for Cessna NavIII, on page 1-15 and 1-16, for loading a standby Jepp database. No pictures though -- but it has the correct procedure:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/190-00384-12_0A_Web.pdf

Thanks... That exact manual came with the upgrade. Should have known to read it first!

What I still am not clear on is if 6 days into a new cycle such as right now, can the active and standby DB be the same? I'm off to go try it again...

Thanks... That exact manual came with the upgrade. Should have known to read it first!

What I still am not clear on is if 6 days into a new cycle such as right now, can the active and standby DB be the same? I'm off to go try it again...

Your choices for a 6-day old DB, as far as I understand it, is:

1. Load it into Active, party on Wayne.

2. Load it into Standby. On the next boot of the G1000, the system will copy it to Active and use it, leaving Standby blank. (ie, the same result as the above, with the added step)

I'm willing to learn if I've overlooked some nuance, but that's how I read it.

The Standby seems to be used solely for early loading of databases. It's a cumbersome feature that I've never been proactive enough to need :D

Your choices for a 6-day old DB, as far as I understand it, is:

1. Load it into Active, party on Wayne.

2. Load it into Standby. On the next boot of the G1000, the system will copy it to Active and use it, leaving Standby blank. (ie, the same result as the above, with the added step)

I'm willing to learn if I've overlooked some nuance, but that's how I read it.

The Standby seems to be used solely for early loading of databases. It's a cumbersome feature that I've never been proactive enough to need :D

I just got back from trying it again. I was unable to get any kind of load prompt, like the book expects. Checking the status, the MFD1 active DB is current, and the standby DB is blank, like you state in 2 above. But, I get this MFD1 and PFD1 standby DB error messages on boot.

Seems my remaining option is to wait for the next update and hope I get a load prompt. But if it automatically loads to active and leaves the standby blank when the next one becomes effective, would I still get a standby DB error message? It looked good for three days before the last update became effective. Once it did become effective, that is when I got these error messages.

What else could be wrong, or is this now a common message?

So I got that exact error message when I updated the PFD to Standby, then shut off everything, put the SD card in the MFD, booted the system, and then shut down when I had no prompt (before I knew about the sync thing at all). The Standby never synced, and the system had no reason to retry since it had a valid Active DB

What I did was call Jeppesen, ask them to let me re-download to the SD card, and I tried again from scratch. The update to the PFD deletes the contents of the SD card, so the sync error forces you to need a new download. Once I redid the Standby update process with both PFD and MFD running, things worked out. (it synced as expected -- and I waited on the Aux page to make sure before powering off)

The error is annoying and I didn't like it -- I spent like 3 hours trying to get it all to calm down :) Jeppesen tech support was super friendly. Once you update the SD card, make a copy of it on your PC and you can have infinite Do-Overs. :D

So I got that exact error message when I updated the PFD to Standby, then shut off everything, put the SD card in the MFD, booted the system, and then shut down when I had no prompt (before I knew about the sync thing at all). The Standby never synced, and the system had no reason to retry since it had a valid Active DB

What I did was call Jeppesen, ask them to let me re-download to the SD card, and I tried again from scratch. The update to the PFD deletes the contents of the SD card, so the sync error forces you to need a new download. Once I redid the Standby update process with both PFD and MFD running, things worked out. (it synced as expected -- and I waited on the Aux page to make sure before powering off)

The error is annoying and I didn't like it -- I spent like 3 hours trying to get it all to calm down :) Jeppesen tech support was super friendly. Once you update the SD card, make a copy of it on your PC and you can have infinite Do-Overs. :D

I initially did something wrong and was getting some errors. So, I called Jepp and they did set me up to download the prior and current updates. I ended up loading the prior update into the standby DB and everything worked out with no errors. So, I thought it was fine. But, apparently that was backwards.

After thinking about this, if the standby DB was automatically loaded, then it would have loaded an expired DB. But, my MFD shows the current DB. Maybe the problem is on the PFD.

Before the software upgrade, it was simple, put the SD card in the PFD and power on, then move the SD card to the MFD and power up. But, now it looks like the procedure is to put the SD card in the MFD first. So, that is what I did tonight and did not work. I did not try the PFD. I'll try that tomorrow. I'm still not sure what starts the sync process...

I think you're doin it backwards :) Here's my understanding:

1. All updates are through the PFD now, only, but with both PFD and MFD powered on. The sync will begin after the system reboots and will take a few minutes (hence, monitor MFD Aux page before powering off, else you'll get a Sync Error)

2. The Standby DB is only for newer (ie not-yet-valid) data, not older. The Active is for current or "most recent" data.

So loading the previous cycle into the Standby probably borked those assumptions above. As you say, the next cycle will probably flush everything out if you load it into Standby. If the error message annoys you, you might try loading the current nav revision into Standby also, but it might not allow you if it detects that your navdata is no better than what's already in Active.

What a pain, eh? I guess once the flow is sorted, it's easy, but I didn't even know to expect this new way of things...

I think you're doin it backwards :) Here's my understanding:

1. All updates are through the PFD now, only, but with both PFD and MFD powered on. The sync will begin after the system reboots and will take a few minutes (hence, monitor MFD Aux page before powering off, else you'll get a Sync Error)

2. The Standby DB is only for newer (ie not-yet-valid) data, not older. The Active is for current or "most recent" data.

So loading the previous cycle into the Standby probably borked those assumptions above. As you say, the next cycle will probably flush everything out if you load it into Standby. If the error message annoys you, you might try loading the current nav revision into Standby also, but it might not allow you if it detects that your navdata is no better than what's already in Active.

What a pain, eh? I guess once the flow is sorted, it's easy, but I didn't even know to expect this new way of things...

Thanks... I guess I was thinking the problem was with the standby DB since that was what the error message was pointing to. So, I was thinking I would just load the current DB to the standby DB according to the book, and that says to put the SD card in the top MDF slot. When it did not do anything, I quit for the night. I will try it in the PFD tomorrow... Now I realize better, the purpose of the standby DB...

Back