G1000 Special Airworthiness Bulletin, and a question

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
The FAA issued an SAIB yesterday for G1000 installations with the GFC700 autopilot:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSAIB.nsf/0/329b5c45888f57eb8625760b004694ca/$FILE/CE-09-47.pdf

My question has to do with a couple of terms/acronyms that I do not see on the FAA's site or PDF file, but are in Aero-News.net's story about the SAIB:

The purpose of this SAIB is to inform pilots of an issue that has been brought to the FAA’s attention with the navigational radio auto-tune feature while performing a FOR or CLS Approach.

Any idea what an FOR or CLS approach are?

Oh, you know what? I bet they meant "VOR or ILS" and voice recognition or editor review went south!! :rofl: :rofl:

And I called Garmin on this yesterday.

The issue will only arise if you have an approach loaded into a flight plan, and then manually change the frequency.

The workaround (that contrary to the SAIB DOES work in a coupled mode) is to clear the approach from the flight plan or clear the flight plan, and manually tune the frequency and then engage the autopilot. The GFC700 will in fact track any signal or course if manually entered - the potential for problem is when there is a conflict with a loaded procedure in the flight plan.

Back