g1000 sim

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
All,

Does anyone have a g1000 sim I could use? I am going to check out in a da40, and haven't really gotten any glass time. I am very quick to pick up on things, and am reading the poh for it. But i'd love to get some "button time" before the check out

Buy the appropriate G1000 simulator from Garmin, worth every penny (~$30-40 if I recall correctly).

Although the DA40 install is less integrated and customized than say the Cirrus install, the G1000 is very capable and the switchology can be confusing while learning it.

Not sure if there is a digital download option or if it is CD only.

Some FBO's/clubs might have a Redbird G1000 sim setup (Plus One in San Diego does).

'Gimp

The G1000 sim is ~$25. Unless you have ground power to the aircraft, the sim is really essential. It works best with two monitors. If you can get time on the real device (while not flying), it's much better. Turning knobs on the sim sucks.

With no glass time, you have a steep learning curve. You could cut some of that off with 430 time (the page structure and big knob/little knob is very similar).

The G1000 sim from Garmin is about $25 plus shipping ($9.00). CD only, no download option, and you will need a joystick with throttle control (I picked one up at Fry's for $20).

With GNS430 experience you will pick up on the essentials pretty fast (radios, GPS/VORs, making flight plans etc.); the MFD will take a little longer to memorize and get comfortable with.

I used www.Garmin1000.com in parallel with the G1000 sim and it worked really well for me. I first listened to a chapter for a description of the component and its functionality, and then played around with it on the sim.

Hi Socal.
Another option may be the Micro Soft Flight Simulator X, (MSFSX) that has a partial G1000 featured in a couple of the birds, C172, maybe XPlane? TV

(MSFSX) that has a partial G1000 featured in a couple of the birds, C172, maybe XPlane? TV
It is indeed very 'partial', for VFR flight might be enough but all these 3-rd party G1000 sims leave a lot to be desired. I personally don't recommend it.

Spend the money. It won't teach you anything, but it's worth it as a training aid if you have an instructor who knows the system to help you through the learning process.

How long does it take to learn a G1000?

You can learn the basics in 15-20 minutes or so. I had an instructor (on a full up trainer with a real G1000...not the redbird trash) had me flying an approach in 15-20 minutes. To fully appreciate the full range of things that it can do and what can go long takes a lot longer. There are some pretty good free and otherwise cheap courses on the thing if you have the simulator software from Garmin you can sit down and delve into the depths of the thing.

You can learn the basics in 15-20 minutes or so. I had an instructor (on a full up trainer with a real G1000...not the redbird trash) had me flying an approach in 15-20 minutes. To fully appreciate the full range of things that it can do and what can go long takes a lot longer. There are some pretty good free and otherwise cheap courses on the thing if you have the simulator software from Garmin you can sit down and delve into the depths of the thing.

I'm going to question that.

Even entering a flight plan correctly is going to take more than 20 minutes. You MAY be able to teach direct-to and the engine-system-lean buttons, but if the user touches anything else, he's screwed.

And if the user has never used a PFD before, that's going to take a lot longer than 20 minutes by itself just to explain all the symbology.

I'm going to question that.

Even entering a flight plan correctly is going to take more than 20 minutes. You MAY be able to teach direct-to and the engine-system-lean buttons, but if the user touches anything else, he's screwed.

And if the user has never used a PFD before, that's going to take a lot longer than 20 minutes by itself just to explain all the symbology.

Nope, no Direct to, just how to load up an approach and fly it. That's all I said.
And no, I've never flown a PFD (outside of some FS games) but I have flown behind a flight director so it wasn't all that much of a departure.

Nope, no Direct to, just how to load up an approach and fly it. That's all I said.
And no, I've never flown a PFD (outside of some FS games) but I have flown behind a flight director so it wasn't all that much of a departure.

Then, you didn't even learn how to do a preflight or run-up consistent with the checklist. You could have taken off with a hosed electrical system and disabled standby battery without knowing it, and that approach would have gone real badly.

That's less than the basics.

Then, you didn't even learn how to do a preflight or run-up consistent with the checklist. You could have taken off with a hosed electrical system and disabled standby battery without knowing it, and that approach would have gone real badly.

That's less than the basics.

I never said it was sufficient to actually make an IFR flight with the thing. I was unlikely to suffered injury or substantial damage to the Elite simulator I was sitting in.

You can SNIPE all you want, I already addressed the points you are trying to make in my first response but you'd rather attack me for the first sentence of my overall statement rather than actually reading and comprehending what I wrote in total. You can quibble over what the "basics" are but I already pointed out that some sitting down with the manual and the instructional materials and spending time at the sim working through the breath of the thing to actually "learn" it.

Last edited:
I don't think there is anyone who would consider the "basics" of a G1000 -- a real one, as that's the point -- as anything less than what would be needed for a safe flight without breaking stuff and while maintaining nominal backups and redundancy. That does NOT include instrument approaches for a VFR flight. It does include checking the E and M busses -- as well as the two cooling fans and the standby battery and several other things unique to a glass panel -- for nominal conditions in preflight. It's all in the POH. Unfortunately, it happens to be something the Garmin sim doesn't do that well.

Call it "sniping" if you want, but your 20 minute claim was wrong. That was for teaching something other than what is needed.

Are you actually proficient on a G1000, or are you just a casual user who looked at it once?

For the record, I'm working on VFR G1000 proficiency. I have about 5 hours now in a G1000 182T. While I've never programmed an approach, I've certainly run through the preflight checklists, and exercised all the VFR features at least once. There is NO WAY this can be learned in 20 minutes. I still hunt for some things (like getting METARs for the destination), so I'm less than proficient.

Ron, your statements might make sense for an Aspen retrofit, especially without a GPS or autopilot, but an integral flight deck like a G1000 is a different beast. And while you're unlikely to break a BATD from screwing up like you did, giving that advice to someone flying a real airplane could have real consequences. You should know better.

Last edited:
There is a book I recommend taking a look at. I am at work right now, but I will post it up here later. I currently have like 10 hours in the G1000 and spent a hour on ground with my instructor getting prepped up for it.

There is a book I recommend taking a look at
Most likely this is the G1000 handbook by Max Trescott, mentioned on these forums many times before. This is definitely the best printed material on G1000, an ideal companion to Garmin's G1000 trainer.

Last edited:
I spent a couple weeks studying about the G1000 before I ever flew one. I now have approx. 170 hours with the G1000 and still feel I am learning new things about it. Great system that is easy to use for flight reference but does take some time to grasp what the buttons and knobs do. I used the jepessen G1000 app for my ipad most which I liked better than books or even using the G1000 simulator from garmin which I found very confusing at the time.

Most likely this is the G1000 handbook by Max Trescott, mentioned on these forums many times before. This is definitely the best printed material on G1000, an ideal companion to Garmin's G1000 trainer.

That's the book I was talking about. It's a really good read before messing around on the system

Yes, it is excellent book but I am finding out how certain things in the book no longer are true since G1000 software went through many modifications, these aren't major things but you can clearly see how Garmin improved user-friendliness of the software. I do have the 4-th edition of the book but I think there is already a 5-th. Max for example states that you must preselect altitude on the GFC700 autopilot before setting the climb/descend mode but I am finding out this is no longer necessary - you can initiate climbs/descends and later set altitude. Also the book shows in detail how to fly SUNOL SIX departure from KSJC, it is a bit complicated so it is an excellent study case however I quickly found out the software does superb job handling this departure and all the complication mentioned in the book is gone. I was also pleasantly surprised how missed approach are handled comparing to some of the stuff I found in the book. Therefore nothing can beat the sim since you can actually experiment and learn how things work - provided you have the sim for your aircraft type.

Last edited:
Yes, it is excellent book but I am finding out how certain things in the book no longer are true since G1000 software went through many modifications, these aren't major things but you can clearly see how Garmin improved user-friendliness of the software. I do have the 4-th edition of the book but I think there is already a 5-th. Max for example states that you must preselect altitude on the GFC700 autopilot before setting the climb/descend mode but I am finding out this is no longer necessary - you can initiate climbs/descends and later set altitude. Also the book shows in detail how to fly SUNOL SIX departure from KSJC, it is a bit complicated so it is an excellent study case however I quickly found out the software does superb job handling this departure and all the complication mentioned in the book is gone. I was also pleasantly surprised how missed approach are handled comparing to some of the stuff I found in the book. Therefore nothing can beat the sim since you can actually experiment and learn how things work - provided you have the sim for your aircraft type.

I'm pretty sure Max's books are utilized as the bug list for the next version.

The really evil part is that if you fly different G1000 equipped aircraft nowadays, they're all not necessarily on the same software. So you get the joy of knowing multiple ways to do stuff.

Back